Panoramic Mode

misha

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

Has there been talk about using the S system in panoramic (Xpan or 6x17) Frame mode? I am coming from the M world, but have also done multiple projects/books with my beloved Xpan and it would be incredible if the option to shoot panoramas was an option on S. Please advise. Shoot first / crop later is not an option for me. I need to see what I am doing while I am doing it :)

thank you

misha friedman 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, misha said:

Hello

Has there been talk about using the S system in panoramic (Xpan or 6x17) Frame mode? I am coming from the M world, but have also done multiple projects/books with my beloved Xpan and it would be incredible if the option to shoot panoramas was an option on S. Please advise. Shoot first / crop later is not an option for me. I need to see what I am doing while I am doing it :)

thank you

misha friedman 

I see two options. 1) Mask the focusing screen, which sounds too dangerous, or 2) Mask the LCD and shoot in Live View. That sounds completely doable and non-destructive. I doubt you'll see such an option in software from Leica.

They are already giving users multiple framing options. It's purely a software thing to add another. 

PS I apologize if this topic has been discussed before. I am new to the S forum.  

18 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

Similar mask options are available for S3 as well (as expected since S3 is essentially S007 with an new/updated sensor).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

42 minutes ago, mgrayson3 said:

Huh! I had no idea. It never occurred to me to use less than the entire real estate. I usually crop a bit as needed, anyway.

Same here - I had to check...

Without having tested it, I think the entire file is stored, it's only apperaring masked in live view and Lightroom.

Edited by helged

3 hours ago, helged said:

Similar mask options are available for S3 as well (as expected since S3 is essentially S007 with an new/updated sensor).

oh wow, thank you! So if they did it with 007, there is no reason not to do it with S3. 3:1 is not exactly Xpan or 617, but it's close enough. 

The evolution of my feelings towards Live View:

Ugh. Who would want it? => Well, it's really useful for magnified manual focus => But only if you have a tripod or stabilized lens. => No choice on the Hassy or Fuji MF bodies, so make the best of it. => Ugh. Who would want it? 😉

• Haha 3

Many years ago I went to Prague with a Fuji GX617 (with 90mm lens) AND a Fuji GSW690iii. It wasn’t a heavy combination as the cameras are basically just plastic boxes but imagine the size of my camera bag! The 6x17cm transparencies are gorgeous to look at on a light box. 😍

An adapted Hasselblad Xpan 30mm on a Leica S would be nice and portable.

35 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

Many years ago I went to Prague with a Fuji GX617 (with 90mm lens) AND a Fuji GSW690iii. It wasn’t a heavy combination as the cameras are basically just plastic boxes but imagine the size of my camera bag! The 6x17cm transparencies are gorgeous to look at on a light box. 😍

An adapted Hasselblad Xpan 30mm on a Leica S would be nice and portable.

Leica S has a flange distance of 53 mm; whereas for Xpan the distance is 34.27 mm. So adaption would required some optical magic to work. Leica S30 or S35, or eg Contax-lenses with the Contax-to-S adapter, seem to be the way to go...

13 minutes ago, helged said:

Leica S has a flange distance of 53 mm; whereas for Xpan the distance is 34.27 mm. So adaption would required some optical magic to work. Leica S30 or S35, or eg Contax-lenses with the Contax-to-S adapter, seem to be the way to go...

Are these any good for 'sticking' (cleverly, expertly) a lens on in an effort to adapt something?

I have the S24 and that gives an equivalent FOV as a 19mm lens (like the 90mm on the GX617). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

18 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

Are these any good for 'sticking' (cleverly, expertly) a lens on in an effort to adapt something?

I have the S24 and that gives an equivalent FOV as a 19mm lens (like the 90mm on the GX617). 

Perhaps we talk across each other. An Xpan-lens needs to be mounted inside the S-body mirror box (approximately 20mm inside the S-mount) in order to work/focus to infinity, which is impossible. The only lenses that can be adapted to Leica S are those made for systems with a mirror box deeper than that of the S (or with a flange distance larger than 53 mm). Possible lenses in the latter category are Hasselblad H and V lenses, Contax 645 lenses, Pentax 67 lenses, etc. 

Edited by helged

3 hours ago, helged said:

Perhaps we talk across each other. An Xpan-lens needs to be mounted inside the S-body mirror box (approximately 20mm inside the S-mount) in order to work/focus to infinity, which is impossible. The only lenses that can be adapted to Leica S are those made for systems with a mirror box deeper than that of the S (or with a flange distance larger than 53 mm). Possible lenses in the latter category are Hasselblad H and V lenses, Contax 645 lenses, Pentax 67 lenses, etc. 

I don't think people recognize what a miracle the S24 is. The best such designs previously (Contax 35, which is a scaled up Zeiss 21 Distagon) had a lot of "mustache" distortion. To make a relatively distortion-free UWA lens for a deep mirror box camera is extraordinarily difficult.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, helged said:

Possible lenses in the latter category are Hasselblad H and V lenses, Contax 645 lenses, Pentax 67 lenses, etc. 

And Pentax 645 lenses...

4 hours ago, helged said:

An Xpan-lens needs to be mounted inside the S-body mirror box (approximately 20mm inside the S-mount) in order to work/focus to infinity, which is impossible. 

Inside. Oh! 

Thanks for the clarification. 

About ten years ago I made an exhibition for a Norwegian photographer who shot 6x17. I scanned them all on the X5 and printed them around 90x250cm (I can't remember the exact proportions, but they were 250-300cm long). I did about 15 of them. Seeing such huge photos with so much detail and smooth tonality was really amazing. That said, it took me several days to spot them all. I think S3 will get you far, but not that far...the sheer massive film size of 6x17 is not reproducible with a cropped S3. This is not to say you cannot print it that big, just that 6x17 is special in that sense, since it just has so much inherent film area.

• Like 1

Stuart, I know exactly what you mean. I've had xpan files printed 70x200cm and it was something else. That said, my grail/dream camera has always been a "digital 617", hence my potential dive into the S world. A dealer in Europe is offering a decent price (i would need to trade in all of my M gear) for an S3+45/2.8. Hence, my questions/hesitancy.  

I guess what I would say by way of elaboration is that there is no digital 6x17…other than scanned 6x17 or a 6+ shot stitch from a Phase One full sized back.  The S3 is a good camera, but you are comparing 1cm by 4.5cm long digital sensor to a 6x17cm long piece of film. The lens will be proportionally longer too, with a 35mm angle of view with respect to width, while most 6x17 cameras have a 90 or 100, which is more like a 21-24mm. I am not saying that you cannot take good panos with it, but they are not very similar cameras in some important ways…

Let's do some approximate math. An S3 image is 9800 pixels wide. So that would be at most ~5000 line pairs. Spread that across 17cm, and you get 5000/170, or about 30 line pairs/mm. That's not awful, by any means. Some lenses can resolve much more, but a wide angle covering 6x17? Yes, digital is not film, and these are just numbers, but the numbers aren't devastating to the notion of S3 usage.