Six Bit coding not working ?? on my new summilux

Zenchicowboy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Afternoon All:

Need help....new to Leica not photography....Bought a summilux 50 1.4 Asph. (11891) for my 10r.  It was my understanding that with the  6-bit coding I would know what settings the camera exposed the image. I ran some tests on a tripod.....when I brought the images into lightroom and also capture one the aperture settings were not what I used.. For example 1/500 at 200 iso and 1.4   the aperture read 4.5 in lightroom and capture one...weird....I ran other tests and rarely got the right settings, the images were exposed correctly....exp compensation was not on.....please help......thoughts ?   I just bought the summilux new from my dealer...Is this a bad 50, or am I looking into things wrongly   regards

James

Edited by Zenchicowboy

• Zenchicowboy changed the title to Six Bit coding not working ?? on my new summilux
10 minutes ago, Zenchicowboy said:

Need help...

Welcome, and a big welcome to the world of Leica.

All camera (as opposed to lens) EXIF data will be correct, plus the lens type if it is 6-bit coded.. The aperture shown in EXIF will be a guess by the camera - nothing more. Sometimes it is close, other times as you quote it is way out. There is no electronic connection that transfers aperture details to the camera. This is a Leica M😉

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

the 6bit coding helps on digital M to apply lens correction in camera, light vignetting, distortion , CA. The 50 Summilux is a good corrected lens and does not apply much correction in camera at all. Wide angles benefit more from in camera correction.

F stop is always bases on a speculated light value , so it is not to be taken as true on M10, or SL2

The lens is not broken

• Like 1

As there  is no coupling, either mechanical or electronic, between the aperture in the lens and the camera, it cannot  know which aperture  is actually set. So it compares the measured exposure with the ambient light. through the lightmeter window on the front, to arrive at an estimated value. This is usually within the ballpark, but can be wildly off on occasion. The six bit coding only tells the camera which lens is mounted, nothing more.

• Like 1