Choosing a compact 28mm lens

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@StevenHere's a nice 28mm available in HK

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just now, jdlaing said:

No, not quite. It does things differently.

I agree. In case you didn’t realize, I was just kindly humoring cappucino’s comment when he said that the summicron did everything better than the elmarit because the elmarit is a dumb downed version of the summicron. 
cappuccino is bugging with me on another thread, so I allowed myself to make fun. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdlaing said:

The Elmarit came along before the Summicron in a 28mm lens so it is not dumbed down. When you use words like beat you make it a contest. It’s just different. Not lesser or greater.

You won’t like this but actually, if we are going to be precise with things, it would go like this:

The Summicron 28mm stems from the elmarit Version 4. Then, 6 years later, the elmarit asph is born and has nothing in comon with the previous elmarits, but rather with the 28mm summicron asph.

Basically, the elmarit V4 upgrades as a summicron asph, and then the summicron asph downgrades to become the elmarit asph. 

This takes nothing away from the little elmarit, actually it is a good thing that it stems from the Summicron asph, a stellar lens. But it is a downgrade, a level below, which reflects in its entirety. After all, it is only a f2.8.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steven said:

By that logic, my Summilux does everything better than the Summicron. 

That thought occurred to me as I wrote my post #79 but I neglected to add it.  Maximum aperture is but one attribute of a lens.  IMHO, the overall rendering matters more than MTF charts or lens speed, but that's me.

We must tread circumspectly as this thread devolves - some in these parts are getting precariously close to schoolyard thinking:  "Nyaa, nyaa!  My lens can beat up your lens."

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

33 minutes ago, Steven said:

The thing with @Ouroborosis that even though he’s unwelcoming and not very kind to me, he actually has some interesting knowledge to share, so I don’t ignore him. I’ll take what I need and leave what I don’t. 

That's the usefulness of forums, @Steven and a healthy attitude to take. 

I'm sure you'll make a decision on your next 28mm lens(es) soon, you can't go wrong with any of them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guest Nowhereman
1 hour ago, ianman said:

Neil, the reetern*?

* obligatory typos in hommage to said ex-member.

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Like butterflies, they come and go but add a certain amusement value to the forum.

Not that interesting to read these takes on peoples personalities or motives: it's one thing to discuss the advantages or aesthetic aspects of shooting lenses a full or smaller apertures, another thing to read your views on people's personalities — which, inevitably and invariably, reflects negatively on the writer of this trash.

Not a take on anyone personalities or motives. It's called humour and Neil had a great sense of humour, I can't believe that some of his typos weren't done on purpose. It happens very often that a thread gets sidetracked with a humorous post or two. I enjoy @Steven's enthousiasm and forgive me if it reminds me of Neil and makes me smile. If it's inappropriate I'm sure the mods will step in.

As for this thread and others, both @Ouroboros and I have offered advice, without I might add, shoving it down his throat, insisiting which is "the best" and without telling him what to buy just because I want to comfort myself in my own choice.

But yeah, as Steven rightly wrote, it's up to each of us to take it or leave it... c'est le même prix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

It’s perfect and modern, yet very gentle and characterful, and velvety (like these new descriptive words Peter ?! 😂 😆 😝). It has a gorgeous rendering wide open, and it marries the sl2s low light capability superbly. 

Yes, nicely put Steven!....and I agree. I had the 28mm 'Lux but sold it when I bought the Mk1 Q, which has in all intents and purposes the same lens. The Q gave me the advantages of the 28'Lux without the viewfinder obstruction disadvantages when used on the M.

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Why are you doing this to me 😩 can you PM the link ?!

I saw it, but seems like it's sold? Very beautiful white edition, more beautiful than the safari one. I bet you'll want to get a white edition 50lux to go with it...

Addendum: Here's another way to get it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265065936666?hash=item3db729371a:g:EGYAAOSwK-xf-KM6

Edited by Casey Jefferson
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RMF said:

I just wish I would have bought a special edition black 28 Summaron when it was available as a Japan only model at Leica Ginza (Ginza 6) a few years ago.

Is that a different black version to the other black limited edition? Only asking to see if the finish was different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ianman said:

Is that a different black version to the other black limited edition? Only asking to see if the finish was different.

Black Paint in less shiny, if I try to understand it.

discussion in french here, some years ago

we can see some pictures of the Summaron (without -M ! ) f=2.8cm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

You won’t like this but actually, if we are going to be precise with things, it would go like this:

The Summicron 28mm stems from the elmarit Version 4. Then, 6 years later, the elmarit asph is born and has nothing in comon with the previous elmarits, but rather with the 28mm summicron asph.

Basically, the elmarit V4 upgrades as a summicron asph, and then the summicron asph downgrades to become the elmarit asph. 

This takes nothing away from the little elmarit, actually it is a good thing that it stems from the Summicron asph, a stellar lens. But it is a downgrade, a level below, which reflects in its entirety. After all, it is only a f2.8.

You’ve proven my point. “You won’t like this”

You keep turning it into a competition. It does not make any difference whether I line it or dislike it. One lens is not better nor worse than another when it comes to different focal lengths or maximum apertures. They are different. If you want to keep endlessly spouting better/worse scenarios at least pick two lenses with the same focal length and max apertures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ianman said:

I believe it was the same, kind of a matte black finish on the lens body. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hm, if I knew what "different" is. As I love small and very light lenses and I like at the same time my 28 Cron I imagine that the Summaron would be the lens for me for hiking and street and landscape etc. I looked at so many pictures in the resp. thread, but it is so difficult to make out what would be different if I had a Summaron on my M10 instead of the Summicron that I like such a lot . . . So I read almost every post here but still would nit know what to do: The Summaron is different . . . OMG what when different would mean this or that? If I knew what this or that was . . .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CosmoM3 said:

had them all - get the Cron 28 ASPH II

Have you spotted any of the dozen or so posts where Steven has patiently explained that the Summicron is not even remotely being considered as an option?

The very first post would be a good place to start (not to mention a further three on the first page alone).

Philip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, pippy said:

As Steven has addressed this aspect several times - including in the very first post and most recently in post #93 just above - I will quote a few of his own words;

"...I need to be lighter......I am now looking for a second, more compact length, for daily carry...."

"...I want something much smaller, that's the main driver..."

Philip.

Which was why I was asking.

The only reason why I want a second 28mm is because my Summilux is too big. As far as size, I consider both the Elmarit and the Summaron to both be small enough to fit the job description. Size is the principal motivation. The rest is secondary. 

Yes, I understand that.  Hence my contribution to your search.  The reason I “returned” to your original question was to get away from discussion of bokeh, out of focus blur and aperture.  Your Summilux has all the apertures that the Summicron, Elmarit and Summaron have.  Your reasons are not to duplicate those apertures, but to look for a small lens with character that the Summilux doesn’t have.

I was sharing with you my experience of having both the Summilux and the Summaron in answer to your original question.  Pause, breath, and don’t just assume that every poster is getting at you.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Thanks 1