Choosing a compact 28mm lens

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

The summicron is almost as small as the elmarit, is sharper with a mix of super gentle rendition. It is a true master lens.

Summaron is quite simply the King of mood. 

Especially with the deep hood of the current Elmarit the difference looks minuscule. 

Other than the looks of the black Summaron, it never appealed to me due to it's slow speed;  but I did already have the MS 28/2 and 35/1.4 Apoqualia lenses for mood.

I shoot indoor too much to be content with f/5.6 so to me it can only be Elmarit or Elmarit ;). I mean 28/2.8 asph v1 or 28/2.8 asph v2. I prefer v1 for its smaller size but i like also the even smaller Rokkor 28/2.8 for Minolta CLE. Not sure i could resist a black anodized 28/5.6 if Leica decided to sell one though. 

• Like 1

Lct, really ?

images from here

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

There are a lot of misconceptions about the summicron vs elmarit asph.

The elmarit asph has had a reputation of being sharper, which is not true. If anything, the elmarit is softer than the summicron at all stops, has more vignette and is more crude all over.

The summicron is almost as small as the elmarit, is sharper with a mix of super gentle rendition. It is a true master lens.

yes really small King of Mood

Sometimes too small when I don't take enough care

Sorry, black paint Summaron-M 28mm indeed

my bad

I see this in french :

[

La peinture spéciale utilisée ici est particulièrement résistante à l'usure et donne à l’objectif une apparence presque identique à celle des finitions chromées noires classiques,

]

...almost black anodized appearence !

With the lens metallic finish, maybe needing another lighter alunimium anodized black finish.

Edited by a.noctilux

42 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

..almost black anodized appearence !

My feeling was somewhat different when i was "offered" one by my dealer. The paint looked matte and did not match well with black anodized bodies. The thing was made for collectors i suspect...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pedaes said:

Yes the number was limited. Ironically, didn't think it looked as good in black so didn't bother with it!

Same here. I think it looked ugly as hell... so probably fine on an M10 then (.....ok everyone that was a joke)

• Haha 2

I have had all of current 28s at some point.

the Lux for me is the best as it has an amazing look and is modern which I prefer

then it depends what else you need and what for:

- elmarit for size and contrast look

- summaron for character (size is not necessarily a pro in this case for me as I often end up putting my fingers in front)

- summicron is end to end sharp with a beautiful gentler rendering

27 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Sorry, truth hurts.

Not at all. Horses for courses as the English say. I am not into poorly focused snaps of guys on bikes or empty garages and half a car- but you will tell me you are not either.

Edited by pedaes

34 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Not at all. Horses for courses as the English say. I am not into poorly focused snaps of guys on bikes - but you will tell me you are not either.

I'm not into over saturated landscapes for sure.  :). No value to me.

I'm into people.  

In my interview to Inspired Eye I have mentioned bicyclists. I'm fixie rider by myself.

I do like bicycles. 

Precovid in Chicago with M-E 220.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sorry, you are wasting your very valuable time with me. I feel so bad for you. Sorry. 

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

There are a lot of misconceptions about the summicron vs elmarit asph.

The elmarit asph has had a reputation of being sharper, which is not true. If anything, the elmarit is softer than the summicron at all stops, has more vignette and is more crude all over.

Wow, capuccino! You're actually knowledgable and capable or being helpful ? I had no idea. What a pleasant surprise. Thanks mate.

Any experience with the Summilux to throw it and complete this useful comparison ? 

3 hours ago, lct said:

I shoot indoor too much to be content with f/5.6 so to me it can only be Elmarit or Elmarit ;). I mean 28/2.8 asph v1 or 28/2.8 asph v2. I prefer v1 for its smaller size but i like also the even smaller Rokkor 28/2.8 for Minolta CLE. Not sure i could resist a black anodized 28/5.6 if Leica decided to sell one though. 

Is there actually any size difference between V1 and V2 without the hoods? Or is it just a hood difference ?