Choosing a compact 28mm lens

Steven

14 minutes ago, Cl35mm said:

Obviously, the tab for a large rotation angle is not very convenient. 

The focus throw of my CV 21/3.5 & 21/4 is rather short.  Do you mean the CV 28/2 has a longer focus throw? Just curious.

Edited by lct

15 minutes ago, Cl35mm said:

He is constantly looking for a stick with his fingers. Same as 21mm color scopar  Obviously, the tab for a large rotation angle is not very convenient. 

Tab is as found on all Leica lenses. Do you own any, as I suspect....

4 minutes ago, lct said:

The focus throw of my CV 21/3.5 & 21/4 is rather short.  Do you mean the CV 28/2 has a longer focus throw? Just curious.

I don't think so, but lens focuses to .5m, and there is no physical indication you have passed .7m.

5 minutes ago, lct said:

If you focus on video, a 28mm lens with a stick is more convenient in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Tab is as found on all Leica lenses. Do you own any, as I suspect....

I know about it. But voigtlander has created three lenses to choose from.

1 minute ago, Cl35mm said:

If you focus on video, a 28mm lens with a stick is more convenient in my opinion.

Matter of tastes i guess but you were referring to a "large rotation angle" which does not exist on current CV lenses AFAIK so i wondered if that of the new 28/2 is different.

1 hour ago, lct said:

Matter of tastes i guess but you were referring to a "large rotation angle" which does not exist on current CV lenses AFAIK so i wondered if that of the new 28/2 is different.

52 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Perhaps @Boojaycan help?

The 28mm has more rotation towards the close focus end, compared to the 35 Ultron, and the 35 FLE which I also have.  When moving the focus tab from infinity to 0.7 it feels like the same amount of movement (rotation) then, a little more rotation takes you to 0.5.  When looking at the front of the camera the focus tab is in line with the bottom of the frame selector lever when at 0.5

Focus tab feels right to me, but I didn't like the stick on my 35 Ultron, when the newer version came out with a tab I was going to trade up, then a kind and knowledgeable soul here on the forum pointed me in the direction of a 3D printed replacement tab which works perfectly.

Bad photo's but think you can see where tabs are at infinity and 0.7 - 0.5 - 35 FLE and 28 CV Ultron.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Boojay
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, pedaes said:

Have yet to see one, but the new 35mm APO-Summicron, from what I have read, increases resistance when you pass .7m, so no hard stop there either.

There is a subtle click to alert you that you're passing 0.7, and no resistance after that. It's very subtle but it works perfectly. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Boojay said:

I found it slightly annoying at first but as someone who always parks lens at infinity and works from there, I judge the distance scale like position on a clock face,  knowing when I feel I'm at 25 to the hour I've arrived at 0.7 

Closer than 0.7 is showing up in quite a few of the newer Voigtlanders, the 35 Ultron is oddly 0.58 (where did that come from?) I think the 40 and 50 1.2 Noktons are 0.5 also, and of course the new 35 apo from Leica.   But, I agree some sort of hard stop would be nice, just not sure how that could be done.

Nikon implemented this with its early 1950s Nikkor-S.C 50/1.4 and Nikkor-H.C 50/2 lenses in LTM mount, both of which have a minimum focus distance of 18 inches (~46 centimetres). One encounters a definite resistance at the 1 metre mark where the rangefinder coupling disengages. According to this article about the development of the 50/2, at the close range one is meant to use a measure to establish the camera to subject distance.

https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0034/index.htm

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 12:26 AM, lct said:

If you want to check red edge issues, folks, just oversaturate reds and see what happens. In the Steven's pic above, there is none, nada, nothing... or more exactly, only the lady, some sand, buoys and buildings become red then normally. But the rest of the pic did not change so no red edge there definitely. Hope you don't mind Steven. 

And now a true red edge issue when oversaturating reds the same way (CV 21/4):

I might be late to the party as I’m reading the thread, but the red channel doesn’t seem to be the issue: it seems to be magenta. 
By the way I see that magenta cast as clear as day.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 10:03 AM, ianman said:

To be honest I would like there to be more critique. I’ve written many times that I don’t understand why we don’t really do it on this forum. I would certainly welcome critiques when I post photos, that’s how I learn and progress. I’m on another forum where it’s common and always done in a polite way with a positive attitude.

Here people seem to confuse critique with criticism.

Can I ask you to point me to that forum please? Constructive critique is one of the best learning tools for a photographer but most bristle as soon as anybody doesn’t gush all over the image.

I want to have peer and intelligent critique on the images. I don’t think on this forum it would work, it seems that the focus is a lot more on technical or rendering characteristics of the lenses than on the images. This is an observation, not criticism.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Harpomatic said:

Can I ask you to point me to that forum please? Constructive critique is one of the best learning tools for a photographer but most bristle as soon as anybody doesn’t gush all over the image.

I want to have peer and intelligent critique on the images. I don’t think on this forum it would work, it seems that the focus is a lot more on technical or rendering characteristics of the lenses than on the images. This is an observation, not criticism.

Go to the "I love film" thread here in the forum.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Harpomatic said:

I might be late to the party as I’m reading the thread, but the red channel doesn’t seem to be the issue: it seems to be magenta. 
By the way I see that magenta cast as clear as day.

Thanks Harpomatic. So right about it indeed being magenta and settling that once and for all. We use the red cast term too loosely. Again - it is indeed bleeding obvious in those photos.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MarkP said:

Thanks Harpomatic. So right about it indeed being magenta and settling that once and for all. We use the red cast term too loosely. Again - it is indeed bleeding obvious in those photos.

Earlier described by several of us as ‘purplish’, a combination of red and blue (from sky and water), which is the basis for magenta.

Jeff

• Thanks 1