Choosing a compact 28mm lens

Steven

2 hours ago, Casey Jefferson said:

We proven our points with evidence and he stated that he's happy with the result.

Posting a screenshot was not “to prove a point” but just to show Steven where my dysfunctional eyes are seeing the effect. @lct clearly showed the contrary. Others have taken to their software pipettes to analyse the colours (but I’m the pixel peeper!😂). Yet others have proved, in their sexist and juvenile comments that I am a woman, as if somehow that would be something negative.

As I have written many times, my only objective was to provide help and/or advice. It’s clearly not welcome but when all is said and done, frankly my dear, ...

1 hour ago, Cl35mm said:

I passed the full color blindness test. Without mistakes. In the photographs I see a magenta vignette

Welcome to the Forum. Not the best point in the thread to start, but don't hesitate to post images, very few are subject to critique.

• Like 2

To be honest I would like there to be more critique. I’ve written many times that I don’t understand why we don’t really do it on this forum. I would certainly welcome critiques when I post photos, that’s how I learn and progress. I’m on another forum where it’s common and always done in a polite way with a positive attitude.

Here people seem to confuse critique with criticism.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, ianman said:

Posting a screenshot was not “to prove a point” but just to show Steven where my dysfunctional eyes are seeing the effect. @lct clearly showed the contrary. Others have taken to their software pipettes to analyse the colours (but I’m the pixel peeper!😂). Yet others have proved, in their sexist and juvenile comments that I am a woman, as if somehow that would be something negative.

As I have written many times, my only objective was to provide help and/or advice. It’s clearly not welcome but when all is said and done, frankly my dear, ...

I totally saw what you were seeing .. but quickly decided it was more to do with pp than any lens issue, completely appreciated your comments and helpful shark 😀- if other's didn't - their problem.  Being a woman definitely a plus, after all (as my husband confirms),  we are always right!!!

Anyway, back to the original subject of the thread, that being compact 28mm lens, I received the new Voigtlander 28 Ultron this week and so far seems good... yet to develop any film but looking forward to results, certainly fits the bill in size and weight.  I sold my Elmarit (stupidly) a couple of years ago after buying the 24 Elmar but recently decided I wanted another 28mm.

• Like 8

Stick to black & white film, you won’t have any problem with colour fringing, and you can’t get smaller than a 28mm f6.3 Hektor.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@Boojay

Fixed so the M doesn't hit the floor...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

I totally saw what you were seeing .. but quickly decided it was more to do with pp than any lens issue, completely appreciated your comments and helpful shark 😀- if other's didn't - their problem.  Being a woman definitely a plus, after all (as my husband confirms),  we are always right!!!

Anyway, back to the original subject of the thread, that being compact 28mm lens, I received the new Voigtlander 28 Ultron this week and so far seems good... yet to develop any film but looking forward to results, certainly fits the bill in size and weight.  I sold my Elmarit (stupidly) a couple of years ago after buying the 24 Elmar but recently decided I wanted another 28mm.

Thank you Jayne :)

I have to say that Ultron does look gorgeous on your M6. Is that it's hood we can see? I would be interesting to know why you prefered the Ultron as it seemed you liked the Elmarit you sold. I would ask if it was because of too much fringing but I don't dare. 😬

@pedaes is this the lens you suggested to me a couple of days ago?

Edited by ianman

9 minutes ago, ianman said:

Thank you Jayne :)

I have to say that Ultron does look gorgeous on your M6. Is that it's hood we can see? I would be interesting to know why you prefered the Ultron as it seemed you liked the Elmarit you sold. I would ask if it was because of too much fringing but I don't dare. 😬

@pedaes is this the lens you suggested to me a couple of days ago?

Definitely not the fringing 🙃 it was really down to not using the Elmarit enough at the time and felt it was not quite wide enough, then typical female - began wishing lately I had a 28.   Yes it is the hood in the background... I also have the 35 Ultron and the LH-12 hood fits both, so they play nicely and share.  I think you have two hoods to choose from for the 28mm.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, ianman said:

I’m not sure I’d like that 0,5m focusing thing. Maybe they should have included a hard stop... the opposite of an infinity stop if that makes sense.

I found it slightly annoying at first but as someone who always parks lens at infinity and works from there, I judge the distance scale like position on a clock face,  knowing when I feel I'm at 25 to the hour I've arrived at 0.7 

Closer than 0.7 is showing up in quite a few of the newer Voigtlanders, the 35 Ultron is oddly 0.58 (where did that come from?) I think the 40 and 50 1.2 Noktons are 0.5 also, and of course the new 35 apo from Leica.   But, I agree some sort of hard stop would be nice, just not sure how that could be done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Boojay said:

But, I agree some sort of hard stop would be nice,

Have yet to see one, but the new 35mm APO-Summicron, from what I have read, increases resistance when you pass .7m, so no hard stop there either.

• Like 2