Choosing a compact 28mm lens

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steven has shed loads of money and an attractive wife.

Hope that is not a factor in the intense scrutiny and critical comment on his pics with his new lens.

Nobody really cares and its not relevant what a bunch of strangers say on a crappy forum so maybe just let it go?

12 minutes ago, lct said:

If you want to check red edge issues, folks, just oversaturate reds and see what happens. In the Steven's pic above, there is none, nada, nothing... or more exactly, only the lady, some sand, buoys and buildings become red then normally.

So how do you explain then that the grey area just above the lobster mans head is now bright red? How do you explain the purple sky and water? Or are you not seeing that either?

28 minutes ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Steven, you are green to the Leica world. To photography in general, too,  if I read through all you say correctly. 

It’s ok... you have a “superior feel” to how lenses render :)

Genuine question: How can he be green to photography with an Instagram account with 400K+ followers? I am not implying that an instagram account with many followers is the pinnacle of excellence, but surely he must produce some interesting work to have so many people following him and therefore he is not "green".  And his photographs in there are very good as well.

Also he seems to be some kind of producer of films as well, which also gives him some credibility in terms of understanding cinema/photography....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ianman said:

So how do you explain then that the grey area just above the lobster mans head is now bright red? How do you explain the purple sky and water? Or are you not seeing that either?

Not sure what "lobster mans head" you're referring to but there is necessarily some reds here and there that will become obvious when oversaturating but red edges concentrate at the edges mainly. Another example here without 6-bit coding (Sony A7r2 mod, 28/2.8 asph):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct

2 hours ago, Daedalus2000 said:

Genuine question: How can he be green to photography with an Instagram account with 400K+ followers? I am not implying that an instagram account with many followers is the pinnacle of excellence, but surely he must produce some interesting work to have so many people following him and therefore he is not "green".  And his photographs in there are very good as well.

Also he seems to be some kind of producer of films as well, which also gives him some credibility in terms of understanding cinema/photography....

Yes he is good, no discussing tastes.

but  jeez, 400k? The guy could rival metallica with a worldwide photography tour, I guess. Fill stadiums with fans coming to see him  holding a camera :)

Actually, it only takes a bit of disposable money to build an instagram account. My son could pump yours to a few hundred Ks if you want.

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, lct said:

If you want to check red edge issues, folks, just oversaturate reds and see what happens.

IMHO if I wanted to check red edge issues I would leave the reds alone and desaturate the other channels...but I’d rather we moved on. Wondered whether Steven ever tried the Ricoh GR 28 ltm I’m currently chasing down...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NigelG said:

Ricoh GR 28 ltm I’m currently chasing down...

i was looking at a Black LTM one this morning.. $1000

Edited by frame-it

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Color perception can be tricky business.  

Jeff

When I was still working I had to accompany many people for eye tests, (I was a Driver Manager on the Railway). It was very interesting to witness what people saw on the Ishihara test for colour vision. Reds and Greens could be easily confused in some cases. But it just proves that the colours that I perceive may be very different to what others see.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Steven said:

I can’t see any particular colour cast in this one either on an iPad. Maybe a whisper of purple in the clouds on the left, but I’m having trouble focusing away from centre. Perhaps a centre crop would help? ;)

8 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

"...........The strength of a great image is its subject and composition.  If the equipment adds to the image, that’s great.  If it becomes the subject, not so much.  "

Thank you, merci, danke, gracias, graze, go raibh maith agat, diolch, ta ever so...........enfin

9 hours ago, logan2z said:

You mean I've been wasting my time cloning dust spots out of my negative scans?  🙂

Of course you have! The more dust, the better. 

9 hours ago, ianman said:

ah ok. I was wondering because they all appear exactly the same in each photo, and obviously it's not dust. Can't it be made to appear randomly to be more realistic?

Yes, you can randomise it. you can even adjust the colour of the dust, the shape and size of the particules, within Nik collection. But I didn't bother for these photos... It's not noticeable on my wife's instagram feed. And if the photo was meant to be projected bigger than that, in all seriousness, I would have avoided the gimmicky dust effect. 

5 hours ago, MarkP said:

Agreed. Clearly this photo exhibits red flag phenomenon.

I should add though that I've never really noticed the problem before with my 28 Elmarit (I'll have to go back and have a look).  The only two lenses I'd noticed it with was the 4.5/21 Zeiss on my M9 (which was so bad I sold what was otherwise an excellent lens) and occasionally (and surprisingly) with my 28 Summicron when I had an M240.

ps - although Steven's photos do seem to exhibit red colour cast at the edges (on my laptop and colour-calibrated NEC Multisync screens), when I checked the RGB levels, they dropped moving to the edges (as expected with some vignetting), but the reds didn't increase in relation to blue and green

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Daedalus2000 said:

From red to green, what's next! What does it mean to be green ? serious question, could not find the answer on google except if you meant I'm ecologic 

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

From red to green, what's next! What does it mean to be green ? serious question, could not find the answer on google except if you meant I'm ecologic 

It means new. It’s a reference to new, green growth on foliage, before it matures and changes colour (to brown, red, orange, pink …. )

5 hours ago, NigelG said:

IMHO if I wanted to check red edge issues I would leave the reds alone and desaturate the other channels...but I’d rather we moved on. Wondered whether Steven ever tried the Ricoh GR 28 ltm I’m currently chasing down...

Never tried it. I did consider it at the beginning of this thread, when many people said amazing things about it. But at this time I was not opened to (more) non Leica lenses. 

I have now started considering and Angenieux, and Dallmeyer, and a Zunow lens, but I'm still resisting to the vintage, third party lens virus. I might try it one day though! 

• Like 1