Choosing a compact 28mm lens

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sometimes I wonder how can my innocent posts provoke such a long discussion/dispute. I blame my poor knowledge of English language...

My humble post:

Interesting post processing Steven. Film like. You added red edges deliberately?

Anyway. You achived a very nice "atmosphere".

I still think the "atmosphere" is really nice as well as colors/rendering. 

I donˋt understand this „red edges“ discussion. Normally a picture is to be looked at as a whole. In a museum you even move backwards to realize the image effect completely. For me, with photos this is the same, I ˋm interested in the image effect more than anything else. A few in this forum seem to do the opposite, they even seem to use a magnifier, - for what reason ? I havenˋt seen a single red line, edge or whatever and I ˋm not going to start searching for one.

8 minutes ago, Wonzo said:

I havenˋt seen a single red line, edge or whatever and I ˋm not going to start searching for one.

This is also my response to post #320 ! I won’t do any such side by side test cause I’m happy not seeing it. 

And if I knew so many people would start to pixel peep this images, I maybe would have picked one with my wife wearing more clothes 🥵😂😂 but as long as you all focus on the edges 😃😃…! 

• Haha 6

26 minutes ago, Wonzo said:

A few in this forum seem to do the opposite, they even seem to use a magnifier, - for what reason ? I havenˋt seen a single red line, edge or whatever and I ˋm not going to start searching for one.

No need for a magnifier or anything special, no need to go searching for it. It's as clear as day and I saw it as soon as I saw the photo. Nobody, not a single post here has been negative about this. I can't speak for everyone but I'm pretty sure all we are doing (those who can see the red tint anyway) is offering help and advice. If such advice and help were offered to me, I would be grateful.

Now, I wonder why I bother. And I also wonder why people post photos here if it's not to receive feedback from others.

Edit: I suppose you can't see the strange white spots that look like the big dipper at the top left either. No need to pixel peep.

Edited by ianman
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Wonzo said:

I donˋt understand this „red edges“ discussion. Normally a picture is to be looked at as a whole. In a museum you even move backwards to realize the image effect completely. For me, with photos this is the same, I ˋm interested in the image effect more than anything else. A few in this forum seem to do the opposite, they even seem to use a magnifier, - for what reason ? I havenˋt seen a single red line, edge or whatever and I ˋm not going to start searching for one.

It’s the context. 

If you enter e.g. an oversubscribed competition, technicalities are the first step to cull the entries.

If you are an established artist you would possibly try to turn these flaws into features. 

My impression is that we Leica aficionados tend to lean towards technical perfection. Could as well be using a Holga otherwise.

Horses for courses.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, laowai_ said:

My impression is that we Leica aficionados tend to lean towards technical perfection.

Please don't include me in that "we".

Here's one SOOC using the Super-Angulon, can anyone spot the red tinted band?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Super-Agulon and Elmarit asph are not the same lens of course.
M240, 28/2.8 asph v1, f/5.6, no color correction.

1 minute ago, wizard said:

Yes. Funny, however, that it only manifests itself at the bottom, and not at the top. Any reason?

It's less obvious at the top but it's greenish. Hence the term "Italian flag" (red-white-green)... it's not a made-up-for-no-reason description like some seem to think.

vor 37 Minuten schrieb ianman:

No need for a magnifier or anything special, no need to go searching for it. It's as clear as day and I saw it as soon as I saw the photo. Nobody, not a single post here has been negative about this. I can't speak for everyone but I'm pretty sure all we are doing (those who can see the red tint anyway) is offering help and advice. If such advice and help were offered to me, I would be grateful.

Now, I wonder why I bother. And I also wonder why people post photos here if it's not to receive feedback from others.

Edit: I suppose you can't see the strange white spots that look like the big dipper at the top left either. No need to pixel peep.

There was no intention to upset you or anybody else. I wanted to express my opinion about a more than 2 Page discussion about red edges or lines, which I still can`t see and don`t even have an intention to see. I might not have trained eyes to see what others see and I don`t really think, that this is necessary because of the mentioned reasons. Just my point of view, no reason to feel upset at all. 

1 hour ago, laowai_ said:

It’s the context. 

If you enter e.g. an oversubscribed competition, technicalities are the first step to cull the entries.

If you are an established artist you would possibly try to turn these flaws into features. 

My impression is that we Leica aficionados tend to lean towards technical perfection. Could as well be using a Holga otherwise.

Horses for courses.

A gross generalisation in my view.

7 hours ago, Steven said:

Thank you very much. 

I Know what you mean. Non trained eyes will subconsciously notice the atmosphere that a lens produce, and its modern or vintage rendering will produce on that person a particular emotion. But a non trained eye will never notice or complain about the "Italian flag". I consider myself to have a very trained eye, and still, I can't see the red corners/edges 😂

Here are another three edited photos to from that same day with the same lens. 

I'm travelling to Paris for the day but I'll try to take more non edited photos with it this weekend. 

P.S. The first two are shot on an M10R, and the third on the SL2S. 

Probably due to the Internet presentation, but those images don't look 'crisp' to me, as it seems they should.  The shadows are also rather blocked up, too much scene contrast, I suppose...

Ah, well - there‘s no persuading those who do not wish to listen.  Steven is offended - the pictures are of his beautiful young wife, taken with his new lens.

Just for the benefit of Wonzo, this is the latest in a string of threads where Steven has been discussing gear.  He has been seeking advice.  There are 17 pages of suggestions, comments and advice, culminating in his decision to purchase this lens, and his loving it.  No pixel peeping has been involved, no criticism of the quality or composition of the images, and no cameras or lenses hurt. 🤣  Just an observation of an obvious flaw.  Obvious to those of us who have had this very problem with some lenses in some situations.  If you look at those commenting, they have a lot of experience of Leica lenses and equipment, and most of us have seen it before.  Certainly, I‘ve had it.

Steven doesn‘t see it, or perhaps doesn‘t want to see it.  That‘s fine.  It‘s his lens.  But, if you post images here, people will comment - some will be unhelpful - you learn nothing from „nice shot“ - others might be rude, and we can‘t help that.  But mostly, people try to be helpful.  Certainly, I think they have tried to be where Steven has been in his quest for perfect equipment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IkarusJohn said:

Steven is offended

At no point at all I got offended ! I am just amused! This is very amusing.... 

1 hour ago, IkarusJohn said:

Just for the benefit of Wonzo, this is the latest in a string of threads where Steven has been discussing gear.  He has been seeking advice.  There are 17 pages of suggestions, comments and advice, culminating in his decision to purchase this lens, and his loving it.  No pixel peeping has been involved, no criticism of the quality or composition of the images, and no cameras or lenses hurt. 🤣  Just an observation of an obvious flaw.  Obvious to those of us who have had this very problem with some lenses in some situations.  If you look at those commenting, they have a lot of experience of Leica lenses and equipment, and most of us have seen it before.  Certainly, I‘ve had it.

Steven doesn‘t see it, or perhaps doesn‘t want to see it.  That‘s fine.  It‘s his lens.  But, if you post images here, people will comment - some will be unhelpful - you learn nothing from „nice shot“ - others might be rude, and we can‘t help that.  But mostly, people try to be helpful.  Certainly, I think they have tried to be where Steven has been in his quest for perfect equipment.

I have always been grateful for the advice given! I said it several times on this thread. The thread was buried and I came to explain, out of courtesy for those who helped, that I was thankful for the time given to me, and why I chose this lens, in the end, after listening all advice, and trying several options! 

I swear of my kids life that I don't see the red lines ! I don't know how to make you believe it ! So when people say they are so so obvious, I am just amused! they are invisible to to me! and yes, you are right that I do not want to see them. At least I dont want to get out of my way to find a reason to like the lens less! it does what I need it to do, that's it. 

Why would I be offended anyway? only nice things have been said about my photos. If some see red lines, its the elmarit that should be offended, or its maker, not me! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Steven said:

At no point at all I got offended ! I am just amused! This is very amusing.... 

I have always been grateful for the advice given! I said it several times on this thread. The thread was buried and I came to explain, out of courtesy for those who helped, that I was thankful for the time given to me, and why I chose this lens, in the end, after listening all advice, and trying several options! 

I swear of my kids life that I don't see the red lines ! I don't know how to make you believe it ! So when people say they are so so obvious, I am just amused! they are invisible to to me! and yes, you are right that I do not want to see them. At least I dont want to get out of my way to find a reason to like the lens less! it does what I need it to do, that's it. 

Why would I be offended anyway? only nice things have been said about my photos. If some see red lines, its the elmarit that should be offended, or its maker, not me! 

I don't ever remember red lines/edges or similar from the Elmarit.. definitely had italian flag issues with this one though😉!  Really nice family shots Steven.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Steven said:

I think that the word "lines" is not a good choice. I'll take the first photo you posted as an example. There are wide vertical bands on  both sides of the photo. There is no pixel peeping required to see them nor any searching required. They are easily and immediately visible.

It would seem that this is not due to the lens, as @lct has said, said, said and said again. So maybe it's due to the pp you have applied. Maybe you can post a non pp version?

Of course we are not all looking on similar screens, maybe it's more visible on some screens than others. Right now I'm viewing on a MacBook Pro.

Maybe this will help you see it.

And for the record, apart from this issue, I think your photos are nice family photographs and perfectly fine. Your wife looks lovely and I'm sure she is thrilled with them. It's great that you are happy with the lens.

Edited by ianman
  • Like 6
  • Haha 6