Choosing a compact 28mm lens

Steven

Hello, 

Quick update. I got the Summaron, I tried it for a month. Saying I really disliked it is a nice way to put it. I hated it. I am returning it. 

I will now try the Elmarit. 

Question: are there notable difference between the asph v1 and v2? ergonomics, size, IQ, rendering, etc... 

Thanks in advance for those who will share their knowledge. 

When I have more time, later tonight maybe, ill explain why I won't keep the summaron. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steven said:

Hello, 

Quick update. I got the Summaron, I tried it for a month. Saying I really disliked it is a nice way to put it. I hated it. I am returning it. 

I will now try the Elmarit. 

Question: are there notable difference between the asph v1 and v2? ergonomics, size, IQ, rendering, etc... 

Thanks in advance for those who will share their knowledge. 

When I have more time, later tonight maybe, ill explain why I won't keep the summaron. 

get the cron

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I couldn’t get on with the v1 Elmarit ASPH as IMHO the hood buttons interfered with the using the aperture ring and it all got a bit fiddly.
Instead I bought the v2 with the metal hood which eliminated the problem...but as per a pic I posted sometime ago the size difference to the v2 Summicron was then marginal.

I ended up getting the v2 summicron. Less contrasty/harsh + extra stop.

• Like 3

Just now, NigelG said:

I couldn’t get on with the v1 Elmarit ASPH as IMHO the hood buttons interfered with the using the aperture ring and it all got a bit fiddly.
Instead I bought the v2 with the metal hood which eliminated the problem...but as per a pic I posted sometime ago the size difference to the v2 Summicron was then marginal.

I ended up getting the v2 summicron. Less contrasty/harsh + extra stop.

thanks for sharing. Which of the two is marginally smaller ? 

I am asking because I found a v1 in silver which I like. But if the v2 is better I'll just settle for the black. 

As for hoods, they stay on the shelf. I dont use hoods. 

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

If I get the cron I sell the lux 

I didn't and glad I did not. The cron is slightly larger than the elmarit, balances better and has a nicer rendering. And it costs more of course

I commented before that I like small but the elmarit (and summaron) are a tad too small for me

I still managed to put fingers in front of it (even though not as much as the summaron)

If you don’t use hoods they’re the same size I think.

I think the silver only came with the M8 safari so is really hard to find. Would love to know where you found it (and let me know if you come across a silver 28 lux😉)

Like Fedro I’m looking to keep my ‘cron and add a Lux

For me (and maybe others?) the 28 summicron v2 + 50 Lux ASPH are my “everyday” pair

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, pedaes said:

You are forensic!

I think baffled would be a better description. Starting such a thread when the lens had already been bought a week or so before.... then...

post #202

On 6/28/2021 at 9:36 AM, Steven said:

I do like it.... it looks great.

followed by post #203 just 2 days later

27 minutes ago, Steven said:

Saying I really disliked it is a nice way to put it. I hated it.

16 minutes ago, ianman said:

So you got it before starting the thread then? 🧐

Nope. I posted the day I decided to get it. There was at least 5 or 6 pages of thread by then. 

16 minutes ago, NigelG said:

I think the silver only came with the M8 safari so is really hard to find. Would love to know where you found it (and let me know if you come across a silver 28 lux😉)

There are four on sale from eBay. all from the same seller. All at 3,9K euros. Seller is known and has a good reputation. 

27 minutes ago, ianman said:

I think baffled would be a better description. Starting such a thread when the lens had already been bought a week or so before.... then...

post #202

followed by post #203 just 2 days later

I can like a lens' rendering and at the same time believe it's not a good lens for me. I like the way the Thambar renders, but I dont think it would make me happy. 

I find every photo that comes out of the Q2 absolutely gorgeous, yet I couldnt stand that camera. It's all a matter of personal experience and context. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

thanks for sharing. Which of the two is marginally smaller ? 

I am asking because I found a v1 in silver which I like. But if the v2 is better I'll just settle for the black. 

As for hoods, they stay on the shelf. I dont use hoods. 

I have tried the elmarit V1 and V2 multiple times and always end up like Fedro, with the 28 Cron and 28 Lux. 

The 28 Cron is only marginally larger but I like the rendering significantly more. I prefer the size of the Cron and balance on the camera.

The elmarit is super high contrast and can be harsh if that makes a difference. I don’t get along with the elmarit for the rendering and I prefer size of Cron, even when trying to travel light. 

7 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

I have tried the elmarit V1 and V2 multiple times and always end up like Fedro, with the 28 Cron and 28 Lux. 

The 28 Cron is only marginally larger but I like the rendering significantly more. I prefer the size of the Cron and balance on the camera.

The elmarit is super high contrast and can be harsh if that makes a difference. I don’t get along with the elmarit for the rendering and I prefer size of Cron, even when trying to travel light. 

Ok. I suppose if everyone says that I need to start listening. 

But how do you live with both the Lux and the Cron ? I feel they are too close.