CF card adaptor

ImmerDraussen

22 hours ago, ImmerDraussen said:

Hi,

I‘m new in the S camp with a S007. Has anyone experience with a CF to SD adaptor? It would make card handling much easier.

My dealer claims that this technology had only existed many years ago for CF2 slots (micro drives), but adaptors for CF1 are listed at amazon.

Andreas

I had never heard of those until now. The one I see on Amazon can only use SDHC (32GB or smaller) cards, and it costs as much as a 32GB name-brand CF card.

The SDHC standard was replaced by SDXC in 2009, so you won't be using high-end cards in that adapter. The adapter itself contains a chip that converts between CF protocol (which is similar to a hard drive) and SD, so that adds a layer of potential issues.

Given all that, I wouldn't bother. I believe that the CF card is considered the secondary card on the 007 (it's the primary in the 006). I would just get a decent CF card, use it for jpegs, and reformat it every once in a while without ever downloading the images (you only need them if the DNGs are corrupt).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The idea of an adapter is fresh for me.  When just getting the 007, I've done some research and found the best prices on CompactFlash is when buying in bulk on eBay.  I've received a batch of good-brand cards from Taiwan but a second or third failed, and I've not used those since.  In my use, cards are digital negatives and are write-once only, they are locked and stored after being filled up.  The SD cards are cheap, S 007 is perfect with 16GB ones and those are a few bucks now.  The CF is more expensive anyways.  

What is the "type" of the CF adapter, I or II for 007?  E.g. which of these will this work:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKO7R8 -- Type I

https://www.amazon.com/Eye-Fi-Compact-Adapter-Professional-Digital/dp/B001DKO7R8 -- Type II

I would worry a little about another interface in the system and whether the adapter might slow write speeds down.  This would be especially true with the S3 files. I have used SanDisk CF cards for several years without much trouble.  One thing I love about the SL system is two cards and redundant backup.  If a CF card has a bad sector, you can typically get around that by a format.  Here is a post I asked some questions about on formatting and my ultimate resolution:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/307673-formatting-compact-flash/?tab=comments#comment-3935980

I still think backups are good in the field, but I think the idea of full res JPEGs to the CF is interesting.  My issue would be that I underexposed enough depending on the light that JPEG’s might be unusable and too dark, or too much noise when raising the shadows.  

• Like 1