Thoughts on the Sigma fpL and Lumix S5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m a late convert to L mount, via the cropped sensor Leica CL (which I love). I had given up digital cameras apart from Leica M. But I’m impressed with the quality and handling with L mount and the fact I don’t have to put up with the over complicated Sony menus which spoiled the A7s for me.

I ended up getting a Sigma fpL and a Lumix S5 at the same time in May, not entirely deliberately. I then thought I would use them both to decide which one to keep.

Photos and thoughts in my latest blog: https://rangefinderchronicles.blogspot.com/2021/06/may-2021-2-bank-holidays-4-cameras.html?m=1

Summary conclusion. I like them both for different reasons - but they are both light, small and with excellent image quality. I’m keeping them both. S5 for faster work/longer lenses, fpL for more thoughtful work, wide and prime lenses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great images throughout your blog post Nick, really really enjoyable read and view - thank you. 

Just a nod.. you may want to pop back to edit out the numerous times FpL becomes Fp4 - or maybe not bother, we will all know what you mean😁.

May I ask about your recommendation? I am selecting fpL or S5... I actually have only Q and need something with interchangeable lenses.. SL2-S is actually to bulky to me... My use case will be: 

- I will have Leica L-M adapter because I want to use summarit 75 and new apo-voiglanders (35,50) and experiments with old lenses 

- use DG DN Sigmas 35&65 and maybe  sometimes 100-400

I use my camera for reportage, sometime portrait (therefore i need a new camera) 

Thank you for your job and nice blog... 

On 6/6/2021 at 10:23 PM, Radek said:

May I ask about your recommendation? I am selecting fpL or S5... I actually have only Q and need something with interchangeable lenses.. SL2-S is actually to bulky to me... My use case will be: 

- I will have Leica L-M adapter because I want to use summarit 75 and new apo-voiglanders (35,50) and experiments with old lenses 

- use DG DN Sigmas 35&65 and maybe  sometimes 100-400

I use my camera for reportage, sometime portrait (therefore i need a new camera) 

Thank you for your job and nice blog... 

Hi Radek. It's hard to say. Do you value Image Stabilisation? if so, then you might be better off with the S5. Do you value more a large EVF for manual focussing and or high resolution, if so the fpL would be better. I am afraid my own answer to the question has been to get both! Nick

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 11:23 PM, Radek said:

Hi Radek, please note that the apo voigtlanders won't perform at their full potential on either of these cameras due to the lack of microlenses on the sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

@Nick De Marco

Saw your Flickr posts experimenting with M glass on fpL.. any conclusions yet?

How is focussing with EVF vs the LCD?  Any settings/modes/workflows that help?

Any lenses that work surprisingly well/poorly, or just follow a general rule of modern works best, 50mm+ is best, 35mm OK in a pinch, wider has bad corners, etc?

thx!

Edited by steveBK
remove screen cap

For me, the Sigma L-mount is the experimental body, when I want to play with old (or newer) glass, 70 years old up to new ones, with a drawer full of adapters and some DIY adapters made of old Leica or other adapters. Then I get out and photograph whatever and evaluate sharpness, bokeh, blurr, flare ... a.s.o. This is only when I have enough time to do so. If I want to take pictures, I take the Q with almost always the same settings and run through the streets, not thinking about gear anymore. Sorry, no input about the S5, I don't own one.
Best.

Jos

On 6/18/2021 at 2:47 AM, SrMi said:

I assume the talk is about CV APO Lanthar lenses. Since they are available in Sony E-mount version as well, I also assume that they will work well on all L-mount cameras. 

There are a few photographers who use the latest M mount Noktons on the Panasonic S1 or S5, and they seem to work well. I don't know how much difference there would be between putting them on a M mount body, though. The 50/1.2, 35/1.2 v3 and 21/1.4 seem to be decent on the S1. I'd like to test them one day.