Leica Premium Hybrid Glass Screen Protector

wbabbott3

Installed on a M10-R, I believe it's the same or similar as the SL2 version.   The protector would loosen on the edges several times, I inquired with Leica about the quality and received an unconcerned reply.  I press it back whenever necessary and live with it.  Previously there was a matte finish protector with no issues.  

wbabbott3,   I installed several on past SL cameras and current SL2-S bodies.   I found them to be exceptional and protects the screen under all types of conditions.  I also have them on my M system cameras and same performance experience.  I do a lot of hiking in remote and challenging locations worldwide and found the screens over the years, have worked for their intended purpose.  Also, screens on my cameras have never loosened.  I once asked a technician if the screens separate from the camera body rear screen.  He told me this is often caused by not sufficiently cleaning the rear screen during installation.  r/ Mark

15 hours ago, darylgo said:

Installed on a M10-R, I believe it's the same or similar as the SL2 version.   The protector would loosen on the edges several times, I inquired with Leica about the quality and received an unconcerned reply.  I press it back whenever necessary and live with it.  Previously there was a matte finish protector with no issues.  

Thanks, so far so good for my 2 installations, CL and SL2.

There are currently 3 versions, mentioned in

https://leicacamerausa.com/photography/?search_query=

13 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

wbabbott3,   I installed several on past SL cameras and current SL2-S bodies.   I found them to be exceptional and protects the screen under all types of conditions.  I also have them on my M system cameras and same performance experience.  I do a lot of hiking in remote and challenging locations worldwide and found the screens over the years, have worked for their intended purpose.  Also, screens on my cameras have never loosened.  I once asked a technician if the screens separate from the camera body rear screen.  He told me this is often caused by not sufficiently cleaning the rear screen during installation.  r/ Mark

Thank you, that is good to hear.

Bill

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2021 at 1:26 PM, LeicaR10 said:

Just bought the Premium Hybrid Glass for my M11 today. Noted LCD must be clean. I do have 99.8 % pure Isopropyl alcohol (I use to clean slides before scanning) and will use it to clean the LCD before applying hybrid glass.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To keep this within the Leica S system - I have used these on my S007 and S3 and they work well.  Like any glass protection the glass has to be perfectly clean before you install it - dust underneath is a pain.

Honestly, I loved the old M9-P and MM with the hard crystal glass.  I’d rather have that on the back than the touch screen.  Just my opinion though.

• 1 month later...

After using it for a couple of months, I am not happy with it - Premium Hybrid Glass.

• Fiddly to get it on to the camera. 😠 There were specs of dust on the screen and that caused "air bubbles" to form under the protector. 😠
  • Edges tend to "open up" after a few days of use. 😠

I have since purchased the following:

Screen Protector Compatible for Leica M11 Camera, 9H Tempered Glass (3 Pack)

Easy to stick it on to the camera and is much cheaper even in a pack of three. 😁

Really , I do not need anything fancy, but just a protection from scratches.

Originally I was taken in by the "Leica" name, but now I've learnt.

I've been happy with these. The screen protector is just for the back screen so I haven't protected the top screen yet. Maybe there's a camera make/model out there that has the same size top LCD screen as the 007 that one can use? I'm thinking of the Fuji GFX100S or the Phase One XF. If there's no hard screen examples produced I guess one could cut down one of their film screen protectors.