Repairs in 2021 (Lens related)

Abram

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone, I haven't been around forums much in the past year+ as I needed something of a break from the internet (as much as I could muster). Anyways, I've still been plugging away with my M-A over the years and though I've rotated lenses a lot, I sold off most of my stuff last year and presently I'm just using my 35mm Summilux FLE. It's pretty well used at this point but I have noticed that everything feels "loose" and "wobbly" now on the body of the lens (in addition to the well-documented sloppy aperture ring and rattling noises within the lens). It still keeps on working but I feel that it's in need of service soon as focusing is no longer smooth and I worry it's going to come apart like most of my other Leica lenses have over the years. 

Anyways, point of my thread: What are my best options today for servicing? I haven't reached out to anyone yet so this is not a complaint, I am just seeking my best course of action. Historically I have always relied upon Don Goldberg to service my cameras and I've only sent things to Leica directly if it was absolutely necessary as I have definitely not had adequate repair experiences with them. 

Does anyone have any new options that are available presently? Should I reach out to Don? Anyone else? 

Thanks for any insight you all have to share. 

My experience of my summicron 50 lens hood needing repair was that i had to wait for about over a month for the part to come into the Leica service centre in Australia where it was fixed. This was during covid. No complaints on the repair and it was returned as good as new. I would recommend to insure your item during transit....Just need to be extra patient during these times, so be prepared to be apart for your gear for sometime.

All the best

Edited by cboy

1 hour ago, jaeger said:

avoid NJ if you know what I mean.

I do know exactly what you mean. I have had nothing but poor experiences with repairing gear with them. Always involving multiple trips to get things right. 

They are my absolute last option. 

29 minutes ago, cboy said:

My experience of my summicron 50 lens hood needing repair was that i had to wait for about over a month for the part to come into the Leica service centre in Australia where it was fixed. This was during covid. No complaints on the repair and it was returned as good as new. I would recommend to insure your item during transit....Just need to be extra patient during these times, so be prepared to be apart for your gear for sometime.

All the best

That’s what I was wondering to be honest, if the timelines have gotten incredibly long due to Covid. I can be patient but at the same time I’d like to not be without my lens for a year as well ;)

8 hours ago, Abram said:

.... It still keeps on working but I feel that it's in need of service soon as focusing is no longer smooth and I worry it's going to come apart like most of my other Leica lenses have over the years. ...

Thanks for any insight you all have to share. 

I am slightly troubled by your confession that most of your  lenses have fallen apart at some point in their lives. I have never heard of such experiences from other owners of Leica lenses. An isolated example, yes; but multiple examples suggests a different problem.

• Like 1

Just send it to Don. Youxin could probably also do it, but with the more complex situations I've found Don to be the preferable choice. Youxin himself has told me the same thing on one of the lenses I consulted him on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wda said:

I am slightly troubled by your confession that most of your  lenses have fallen apart at some point in their lives. I have never heard of such experiences from other owners of Leica lenses. An isolated example, yes; but multiple examples suggests a different problem.

It has troubled me as well. Perhaps I’ve just been unlucky but my Leica lenses have been far less reliable than cheaper options such as Zeiss or Voigtlander.  I use my gear extensively and I’m not afraid of things getting scuffed or dinged, but I do take care of my equipment as well. Things are cleaned properly and stored safely when not in active rotation. Despite that I have had several Leica lenses literally come to pieces in use which has ultimately cost me a ton of extra money in the long run due to repairs. My worst examples were my 28 Elmarit and 28 Summicron both of which had the entire front optical group separated from the lens body. Both of my 50 Summilux ASPH lenses also came apart and now it feels like my 35mm Summilux is doing the same thing. 

There are several more examples I can provide but this isn’t supposed to be a Leica bashing post. Yes I can confidently say that of all of the camera systems I have used in my 20 years as a photographer, my Leica gear has been the least mechanically reliable. However, for better or worse, I love Leica gear and keep coming back despite all the troubles I’ve had. They just are my preferred tool despite it all. 

Edited by Abram
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Call Don first to discuss issue, workload and estimated timing. Another option is Sherry Krauter.

Jeff

That was going to be my plan. He’s always been my go to, and as I’ve alluded to, I have required his services a lot over the years lol. 

I’m always surprised to hear of Leica lenses not holding up under normal use. I’ve owned around 25 in the last 50 years, mostly 2nd hand and only needed 2 repaired, one due to my own careless and a second due to dried lubricants. Leica workmanship and longevity is the norm for excellence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spydrxx said:

I’m always surprised to hear of Leica lenses not holding up under normal use. I’ve owned around 25 in the last 50 years, mostly 2nd hand and only needed 2 repaired, one due to my own careless and a second due to dried lubricants. Leica workmanship and longevity is the norm for excellence.

That was always the expectation I was lead to believe, but of the 28 Leica lenses I've owned, almost half of them have had some form of construction issues, which results in them physically coming apart (you can imagine how distressing it is when the front half of your lens is suddenly no longer attached to the camera). I've just been exceedingly unlucky with buying second hand lenses apparently. The ones I have had the best luck with have actually been the older models, like the 50mm Summicron DR and the 21mm Super Angulon. They were just built better. 

Don Goldberg has always done a wonderful job for me whenever I need repairs so I'll likely just continue to use his services, as I mentioned above I can't trust Leica NJ to do a competent job with repairs unfortunately. An unfortunate example I can offer for them was when my 28mm Summicron fell apart I sent it their way. It took 4 separate return trips and over 9 months to have them return a properly working lens to me. The first time it was returned the lens was physically assembled crooked, so you couldn't even focus it properly and the optical cell was so misaligned that even if I could focus, I'd never get an image that delivered "Leica" quality. 

So I know I've opened up some complaints here but again, not the point of my thread. I'm still going to continue using Leica gear as it makes me happy, despite the frustrations I've had. 

I would send the lens to Don as well. He is the best of the best.

Certain lenses have been known to have problems, such as the 50 Summilux ASPH and the 35 FLE. Tom A had a very early version of the 21 SEM, and it came apart on him. I personally have never had an issue with any of my Leica lenses, except my recently acquired 35/2 v4, Canadian version. Lens is incredibly sharp, but it likes to unscrew the lens assembly from the focusing mount. Canadian versions have been known to have issues because of the plastic parts used on the lens cell.

I have also never had a problem with any of my Zeiss ZM lenses, though some good number of people report the Zeiss wobble. The only problem I have ever had with Voigtlander lenses was with my 50/1.1. The tiny screws holding the lens together backed out from vibration on a transcontinental flight with my camera bag in the overhead bin. It literally came apart in my hands! Fixed it, but got rid of it when I bought my 50 LUX BC. Currently have the Voigt 50/1.2 and it is an outstanding lens. Did a report on it for the LHSA Viewfinder journal.

Edited by derleicaman
  • Like 1

Abram,   Just send it to Don and get the excellent service you have grown to expect and receive.  I sent him all my M gear once it goes out of warranty.  My gear comes back often better than new.  r/ Mark

• Like 1