DxO PhotoLab 4.3 released, added support for CL and TL2

10 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Similarly to supported m43 cameras, I expect DxO's DeepPrime noise reduction to be a significant help in post-processing noisy TL2 and CL files.

(I am using DxO PhotoLab 4 as part of my Adobe workflow).

huge news! the lack of a cl module had me looking for a replacement editor which didn't end very well. 

tks mucho for posting this as i might have missed it in the changelog notes when my pl4 updated.

i'm still mad at them for only having a 15 day window to get a nik4 upgrade. i paid like $60 only 3 weeks ago and they told me i didn't quality despite me owning nearly all their products for over a decade now. 

/guy

Edited by gteague

It's too bad the lens profiles do not include one for the 18mm f2.8 or (especially) the 35mm f1.4TL.

Why they would provide a profile for the CL with the 24-90mm SL lens and not the 35/1.4TL instead is a head-scratcher....

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 1

They aren’t the only ones not to do that. When I was looking to get away from Adobe products, I kept finding that other packages either did not support or only partially supported the CL and TL lenses. 

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Well, I have asked them whether Photolab is compatible with M1 Macs...

i just upgraded from a 2014 imac to a mac mini m1. i checked and photolab 4 (and all the dxo apps) are /intel/ in the system report. in actual performance though i can rarely tell the difference between a native m1 app and one which has to use rosetta.

/guy

On 6/5/2021 at 3:29 AM, jaapv said:

Well, I have asked them whether Photolab is compatible with M1 Macs...

https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054010571-State-of-DxO-PhotoLab-compatibility-with-the-Apple-Silicon-M1

PhotoLab 4.1 perfectly supports Apple M1 chip via Rosetta 2 emulation layer.
In addition, DxO DeepPrime leverages the native core ML software and the M1 hardware GPU, leading to up to 5x performance improvement compared to latest equivalent MacBook or Mac Mini.

Hmm, maybe it is time to get an M1 Mac. I hope that Adobe will soon port Lightroom to M1.

5 minutes ago, SrMi said:

https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054010571-State-of-DxO-PhotoLab-compatibility-with-the-Apple-Silicon-M1

PhotoLab 4.1 perfectly supports Apple M1 chip via Rosetta 2 emulation layer.
In addition, DxO DeepPrime leverages the native core ML software and the M1 hardware GPU, leading to up to 5x performance improvement compared to latest equivalent MacBook or Mac Mini.

Hmm, maybe it is time to get an M1 Mac. I hope that Adobe will soon port Lightroom to M1.

i've spent the last 4 days (mistakes were made!) clean-installing a new mini m1. i'd had my imac for over 7 years and although it was top of the line at the time, was aging badly and the screen was burned in so badly i could see google chrome behind everything--even in my photo editor. but the amount of kruft built up on that imac had to be astonishing and it was time to move away. i beta-tested for over two decades and all that stuff was still on it. it refused to show 60fps or 10-bit video, period. 

i was really worried about finding a suitable monitor for the mini and opted for a quite cheap 4k 28" by acer. and the display image and video and still look fantastic on it, but when i set the apple /display/ pane to 4k, the text is way too small--i've had to set it to 2560x1440 scaled.  apple claims that if you bump up the os elements by setting a lower resolution, anything you view which is a 4k source will display in 4k. i'm not convinced. you can't trust youtube on the resolution you're seeing, but i've tested all my 4k video files and even the 10-bit 60fps ones play and edit without a single stutter. but am i seeing them in 4k? i don't know and i don't know what tool i'd use to tell. 

but the speed is blink-and-you-miss-it fast. and i'm not easily impressed.  most of my problems are going to come with figuring out how to compensate for only 256gb storage and i did get a 1tb sandisk ssd to augment it. but my music and pictures will have to go on a conventional slow hard drive.

/guy

Basically 4K needs a big screen to have a decent text size. I have a 24” 4K second screen but I have dumbed it down. Much better. As for DXO I got a copy and paste identical answer. So it does NOT run natively but needs Rosetta. Which means it will run out of RAM. 

19 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Basically 4K needs a big screen to have a decent text size. I have a 24” 4K second screen but I have dumbed it down. Much better. As for DXO I got a copy and paste identical answer. So it does NOT run natively but needs Rosetta. Which means it will run out of RAM. 

i've been ok with 4k on the 27" mac 5k retina monitor for years, but i bought a dirt-cheap 4k 28" acer monitor for only $230. surprisingly, i can't find any fault with it except some drunken clowns programmed the osd settings, but still, once you have it set once you shouldn't have to dive back into that nightmare. 

bear in mind the mac m1 chip is an order of magnitude (or several) above legacy memory managers. and coupled with an ssd drive when the need for virtual memory occurs, well, you can imagine how little it slows down compared to a legacy hard drive. i've got chrome running with 15 tabs open and i'm only 'using' like 3gb of memory of my 8gb. of course, traditional methods of tracking usage are hard to interpret because the system manages memory so well, so data are suspect here and your 'feel' for how the system should react i think are more telling. 

i'm not to the point of trying video editing or doing a deep noise reduction in photolab yet, but i'll report back. 

/guy

Edited by gteague

i've seen not a single warning so far, but as i say, no video editing or rendering or pushing photolab to the limit. i just today got set up enough so i could start exploring the performance. here's some stats:

i have a 1gr/s fiber line to my isp. my imac could manage just over 800mb/s. the new computer with the new tp-link router hits 933mb/s every time i've tested it. and testing on wifi yields just under 500mb/s. that's flat effing flying!

blackmagic test wont work on internal drive, but i have a 1tb sandisk extreme pro as external and the theoretical speed is about 1050mb/s and i got about 850mb/s. 

but i couldn't stand it any longer. i've been waiting for years to shoot 4k60p hdr/hlg 10-bit video even though i'm not much of a movie maker. now i could be! :)

i went out and shot two one minute clips at those settings on my s1 and i'm shaky and the wind was blowing me around, but the bottom line is that in finder, vlc, and quicktime it confirms the video codec and none of them dropped a single frame playing them. i think the input was 200mb/s. i haven't got final cut pro configured yet and i can't edit anyways.

but here's what's got me gobsmacked, my 2014 imac was tip top of the line with i think an intel i7 at about 4ghz and 32gb of ram and it laughed at me when i tried to feed it 10-bit video. total FAIL! what a delight to be able to finally shoot what i want and be able to display it on my sony 4k hdr tv. 

/guy

i uploaded to youtube and it worked brilliantly! way beyond my expectations. sorry it's crappy shooting and crappy content, but it's proof of concept for me and i can now try to explore shooting some video.