Hot B&W development (+30C)

Steve Ricoh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Read this article on 35MMC a short while ago, and I have to say I quite like the result, definitely something I would like to try myself. I like my film to look totally different to digital - I find digital too clinical, almost sterile, lifeless.

https://www.35mmc.com/20/05/2021/making-dreamscapes-by-developing-film-at-30-degrees-by-tyrell-mcbride/

I’m aware of the risk of reticulation and the possibility of ending up ‘wearing’ the emulsion when handling the wet film, post fix and wash. However, 30C seems to be the sweet spot and maybe I’ll find a particular emulsion that’s more durable to the severe temp. If anyone has experience I would like to hear about it.

• Like 1

I can't say I disagree with the principle of the idea, but the results are kind of flat and boring. Sort of like combining all the wrong things to do and then declaring it as a triumph, just because.

• Thanks 1

In addition to Steve's "flat and boring" comment I'll add that from my earliest development (B&W) days, I have been driven to find the sharpest lenses, and finest grained negs, often accepting unwieldy and larger cameras (M/F and L/F) as the only option. I still like finer grain. Now with scanning, it seems even more important than wet-printing.

This new fad, while appealing to some, certainly isn't my cup of tea. Each to their own of course.

Love to see your results Steve (R), and hear what you think of the process. C-41 is a bit warmer still.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I do tend to like sharpness and clarity, but, some of my better images seem to revolve around blur, grain, and OOF. Consequently I never immediately dump 'mistakes'.

Below is one example of over development in Rodinal @ 1:5 instead of 1:50. Rodinal is contrasy and grainy normally, but when dev @ 24Deg and super concentrated, this is what you get!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Such treatments as overdevelopment and over temperature can be fine, but I don't recommend it as a general rule. Fun to apply to an experimental film acknowledging that all images on that roll will get the treatment. I think it would be rare that one would want all images affected.

9 hours ago, erl said:

I do tend to like sharpness and clarity, but, some of my better images seem to revolve around blur, grain, and OOF. Consequently I never immediately dump 'mistakes'.

Below is one example of over development in Rodinal @ 1:5 instead of 1:50. Rodinal is contrasy and grainy normally, but when dev @ 24Deg and super concentrated, this is what you get!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The grain really suits the composition and that’s the look of grain I’m after.

I don’t think I’d use rodinal at 1:5 (too expensive!) but maybe 1:25, and at any old temperature that comes out of the tap, as long as it’s 20C or more.

My biggest grudge against digital is the super clean faultless images produced (iso dependent of course, but digital noise isn’t attractive).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

The grain really suits the composition and that’s the look of grain I’m after.

I don’t think I’d use rodinal at 1:5 (too expensive!) but maybe 1:25, and at any old temperature that comes out of the tap, as long as it’s 20C or more.

My biggest grudge against digital is the super clean faultless images produced (iso dependent of course, but digital noise isn’t attractive).

Steve, It's a while since I bought Rodinal, in fact it no longer exist as such, but is renamed as RO9 I believe. At least three great things in its favour are its keeping properties. I am still using the same original bottle from years ago. It's discoloured but still working perfectly (subject to my handling). Also it only requires very small quantities that can easily be mixed at time of development. Finally, the cost, should be only less than 0.50 cents per roll for recommended dilutions. Making mistakes(!) like mine will still cost under $2/roll. For a special effects you may consider that worthwhile.

• Like 1