Lumix S5 and Sigma 24-70mm f2.8: How much room left for APS-C?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

APS_C is meant to be smaller, lighter and cheaper than 35mm FF. Let's take a look of the sampled zoom set as a reference.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This quick and dirty sample data shows L mount 35mm FF is actually about 2/3 of  CL (granted, some good at hair splitting may not agree), but the weight and volume is about 2X.

Maybe this is the gap Leica try to keep in the newer versions, if any, including the dreamed CL2?

Edited by Einst_Stein
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Einst_Stein said:

APS_C is meant to be smaller, lighter and cheaper than 35mm FF. Let's take a look of the sampled zoom set as a reference.

This quick and dirty sample data shows L mount 35mm FF is actually about 2/3 of  CL (granted, some good at hair splitting may not agree), but the weight and volume is about 2X.

Maybe this is the gap Leica try to keep in the newer versions, if any, including the dreamed CL2?

So you pay a premium for lightness. Something that Ferrari and Porsche are masters of. Take weight out and pay more. Much more.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

So you pay a premium for lightness. Something that Ferrari and Porsche are masters of. Take weight out and pay more. Much more.

Apparently it makes sense for many CL users. In fact that is an important part that shines Leica M system too. I can't see anything wrong about it.  

• Like 2

Full frame is much bigger. End of discussion. 
If you are ready to haul a ton with you. Why not. 
Leica lend me for four days an SL2-S with APO-SL 35mm. 
At the very beginning I was pretty sure that it was not for me. 
After four days I was convinced : APS-C is the sweet spot. I will never trade my CL for full frame. Except for an M of course. Otherwise 24x36 mirrorless is way too big. 

S5 is twice as thick and almost twice as heavy as CL. 
Plethora of buttons that I do not care for. 

I love my CL for its compact size. I take it everywhere with me. 
I will certainly not take a full frame with me full time. 

Size matters more than IQ. That’s why for 99% of people : smartphones are the best cameras they ever got. It is always with them. 
CL + 18-56mm is manageable in a tiny bag. S5 + 24-70mm f/2.8 is not. 

As always there is an exception to the rule : the mighty Q2
By the way Q2 & CL are made for each other. They complement each other perfectly. Same UI make using them together a dream. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 5

On 6/3/2021 at 5:53 AM, Einst_Stein said:

In fact that is an important part that shines Leica M system too.

Not really regarding weight of the body. At 660 grams the M10 is quite a dense object.

On 6/2/2021 at 10:53 PM, Einst_Stein said:

Apparently it makes sense for many CL users. In fact that is an important part that shines Leica M system too. I can't see anything wrong about it.  

Agree - my point is that lightness has a value. In my case I’m happy to pay for it in the form of the CL and lenses.

On 6/2/2021 at 5:54 PM, Einst_Stein said:

APS_C is meant to be smaller, lighter and cheaper than 35mm FF. Let's take a look of the sampled zoom set as a reference. ...

I think the fundamental problem is that you (and many others) take the bolded above as an axiom, where that was never really the case. But, regardless, we've been through this debate with almost every new digital camera release for the past decade and a half. The "this new watsis is more than that old watsis and doesn't cost/isn't much bigger/etc" debate, I mean. 

Isn't anyone else getting tired of it?

I don't buy a camera because "it has a bigger sensor and is almost as small/light/cheap" as my previous camera. I buy a camera because it has some features or advancements that I think will net an advantage for what I'm intending to make photographs of.

G

• Like 3

A few years ago, I had set up a big sheet with all the major camera manufacturers, cameras and lenses; this wasn't a comprehensive list mind you, it was just for me to try to make sense of the landscape. I was looking to downsize but without too much compromise in terms of quality. By far, the lightest setup was the Leica APS-C system. And while also the most expensive - by quite the margin - it does show that you get a bit more (well, less weight actually) for your buckaroos than just the stellar image quality.