I wear glasses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These days I need 2.75 reading glasses, not a problem, the problem is the difficulty focusing my M6 without some device to compensate for my poor eyesight.... some diopter  equivalent to a pair of 2.75 reading glasses....Is anyone aware of the right path to take, or knowledgeable about options for the M6

Why not using a Leica correction lens?

works for me, I have the actual glasses on a strap around my neck and a +2 lens attached to my MP’s viewfinder.

So I shoot pictures with my MP (and my M10) without glasses. 

8 hours ago, Helge said:

Why not using a Leica correction lens?

works for me, I have the actual glasses on a strap around my neck and a +2 lens attached to my MP’s viewfinder.

So I shoot pictures with my MP (and my M10) without glasses. 

exactly the same for me - I have a number of +2 diopters on my M cameras - so much better view than trying with glasses

DAG will also custom make diopters for your leica using nikon eyepieces - much cheaper than the leica originals

Hello Andco,

Welcome to the Forum.

When you are trying to decide how to solve this problem please keep in mind that ALL Leica "M's", both film & digital, come with a range/viewfinder window with a built in -0.5 diopter already installed. Any correction that you make should calculate this -0.5 diopter into it.

Apparent viewing distances, if that is also an issue, have varied with different specific models & these must be accommodated for on a model by model basis if necessary.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 6 Stunden schrieb tommonego@gmail.com:

I am 20/600 with out my glasses and I have used Leicas since the early 70s. If you are 20/20 at distance, get a pair of glasses that no correction (plano) at distance and a progressive bottom, works well. Don't just rely on reading glasses, or just take them off when using the Leica. 

Since 20/200 is already considered „legally blind“, I‘m somehow confident this is a typo and you where talking about 20/60?

However getting older, I‘m sure most farsighted people like me will also need some diopters for the distance.

And since (at least as I‘m aware of) the reading distance for the Leica VF is at about 2m, it is not a distance you‘ll have the necessary diopter number easily at hand (usually you‘ll know you reading correction for ~50cm and for the far distance).

@Andco I would definitely go to a dealer and check a couple of different correction lenses with my Leica.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Helge:

Since 20/200 is already considered „legally blind“, I‘m somehow confident this is a typo and you where talking about 20/60?

However getting older, I‘m sure most farsighted people like me will also need some diopters for the distance.

And since (at least as I‘m aware of) the reading distance for the Leica VF is at about 2m, it is not a distance you‘ll have the necessary diopter number easily at hand (usually you‘ll know you reading correction for ~50cm and for the far distance).

@Andco I would definitely go to a dealer and check a couple of different correction lenses with my Leica.

Nope, without glasses I am 20/600, with glasses 20/20, so it is fully correctable. I am -8 in viewfinder eye and -6.5 in the other. I have worn glasses since I was a child. My whole 40+ year Leica experience has been with glasses and it hasn't been a problem. You are right the viewfinder distance is 2M reading distance is 40cm or so (I know it as 14 inches). So a pair of glasses with plain glass and progressive reading add on the bottom would work well. Some of this experience is from my wife, after cataract surgery she wasn't quite 20/20. She couldn't stand taking reading glasses on and off, so she had a pair made plano with progressive, she later fine tuned that with her slight prescription and progressives, she is happy with both.

Yes I am close to blind at distance without glasses, but one interesting effect of being a high myope is at very close distances I get a good magnification, say 2-3 inches and about a 2x magnification, so it is very good for looking at negatives. 

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Nope, without glasses I am 20/600, with glasses 20/20, so it is fully correctable. I am -8 in viewfinder eye and -6.5 in the other. I have worn glasses since I was a child. My whole 40+ year Leica experience has been with glasses and it hasn't been a problem. You are right the viewfinder distance is 2M reading distance is 40cm or so (I know it as 14 inches). So a pair of glasses with plain glass and progressive reading add on the bottom would work well. Some of this experience is from my wife, after cataract surgery she wasn't quite 20/20. She couldn't stand taking reading glasses on and off, so she had a pair made plano with progressive, she later fine tuned that with her slight prescription and progressives, she is happy with both.

Yes I am close to blind at distance without glasses, but one interesting effect of being a high myope is at very close distances I get a good magnification, say 2-3 inches and about a 2x magnification, so it is very good for looking at negatives. 

I can empathise with this. I'm -8.50 in my viewfnder eye, and -10.25 in the other. I've also worn glasses ever since I was a child and all my Leica experience has been while wearing glasses. I struggle to see 35mm frame lines, and 28mm is impossible (although not relevant on my M2). But my ultra close-up vision is also excellent!

Alan

Leica makes diopters for inserting in the viewfinder. They screw in on top of the installed diopter, which is non-removable. I wore glasses for decades. Buying the Leica diopter’s for my ‘M’s’ solved the distance problem. Aside, several months ago I had cataract surgery. My ophthalmologist said I had a choice between distance, with glasses, or readers. A disc or lens is inserted into the eye after the cataract is removed. I chose reading glasses, allowing me to see distance without glasses. My eyes are now 20-20, I am able to put my eye right up to the viewfinder window.

• Like 2