CL + TL 55-135mm or S 70-300mm OIS macro ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, tom0511 said:

But if you carry such lenses why not just use a FF L-mount camera body, which should handle better/more balanced  with them, and adds advantages of FF-sensor?

Because I love the CL and it’s a lot smaller and lighter than the FF Lmount alternatives.

I find it pretty well balanced in the hand though admittedly it’s a bit heavy over the shoulder.

I also sometimes use it with an old m summicron 40mm (which is tiny) as a slightly more pocketable alternative to my Q2

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EricK said:

Hello,

Your feedback is of great interest to me. Can you explain to me why in your opinion it is better to use the electronic shutter on the CL in combination with Telezooms?

And on the SL2 do you also use the electronic shutter with these same zooms?

You also used the Sigma 100-400 and CL, do you think the photos taken with the Lumix 70-300 and CL are superior in sharpness?

Thank you very much for your feedback!

I am going quote Jaap's response because he explains why electronic shutter helps much better than I can, it's not just a Leica thing..same applies for any other body where electronic shutter is available, it's of benefit,  from use it is absolutely an aid to sharper results, and yes I do similar on the SL2.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Because shutter slap causes motion blur of a frequency that O.I.S.cannot compensate for. 
The SL has the same problem to a lesser extent. The advantages are with the APS sensor as it gives more reach. Image quality is very similar. 

I think my copy of the 70-300 is slightly sharper than MY copy of the 100-400, that is not to say the 100-400 is not an excellent lens... where it falls down for me is when subjects are further than 15-20 metres away.  Also,  where I will happily walk around with the 70-300 and wouldn't think twice about adding it to my camera bag for trips/travel/daily outings... for me using 100-400 is more of a planned event.   

• Like 3

vor 18 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

Is there really an advantage to haul 1985g instead of 1193g ? For the same reach. 
Just remember that there is only 1 stop difference between 24x36 and APS-C.  If you close your aperture by one stop you end up with an APS-C. By two stops with a m4/3 etc…

It’s not my saying, but rather Peter Karbe’s during one of its interview. 

Of course it is a question of personal taste and everybody has different needs and ideas.

For me, when using big lenses, I prefer a bigger camera body in regards of handling. Solid feel in the hand is then more important to me than total weight of the combo. With FF you would have the choice: use the lens full frame, you can use the 70mm end as a 70mm POV. You get one stop shallower DOF when shooting wide open at comparabl FOV; If you need the long end and max. reach you can still crop and get nearly same resolution as using the lens on a dx camera.

But overall I think its great the Cl and SL and Lumix share the same mount and everybody can use it in the combo way which works best for him/her. I am also debating with myself to get the 70-300 Pana as a lighter alternative for the 90-280 Leica. I plan to use it on the SL2 but if I get the lens I will certanly also check it out on the CL. Specially since the CL is nice as a light travel system.

I shared the desire for more length than the 55-135 for certain events - races, birds, etc. Tried the 100-400 for a week, and found it very difficult to use well. Ends up being too heavy for walk around, might be fine on a tripod, but I'm not planning to shoot like that. So I retreated to the 55-135, and found it just fine for many shots... just not the super long ones. But for now, just staying with this, and learning to use it better. Its a lens that has some "depth of character", surprisingly, and takes some time to get to know. I'm not used to that in a tele... A couple of shots from this lens below. (FYI - the fish is razor sharp in the original)

The 70-300 seems smaller enough  instead of the 100-400, and yet not so so big as to be difficult. So there is some logic there. It would be nice if Leica would try something longer for the CL - say a 200 or 300mm fixed lens, even.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by geoffreyg
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

I just got the 70-300 Panasonic and it does the job the Sigma 100-400 could not do. Better image, easier handling. No I did not test them side by side but sequentially. 

Yes I also have the 55-135, but the image stabilization with the Panasonic as well as the extra range is important. I bought the 55-135 for the maximum telephoto range and effective 200 is not all the range I needed, but there was no alternative two years ago. For those who wonder why not use it on a FF SL2, I don't want another camera system, and I would be cropping in the FF image to give me the same effect as the uncropped CL.  This is the first time I have been able to shoot effective 450.  The last time I had a 300mm lens was ten years ago with a Canon 300mm IS on a 10 meg FF sensor. Thank you Panasonic. I did not test the CL with a Leica 90-290 SL which I am confident would be better, but heavier and  more in cost.

This shot was hand held at 1/2500. f 5.6 and ISO 3200 handheld. To see the entire scene, you can see a 24mm image at this link:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/305423-leica-m10-monochrom-images/page/167/?tab=comments#comment-4237804

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some one might ask, "what was the crane lifting?"

It was lifting an outhouse!   The background is a mirrored building.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I told the Dr. that the image stabilization on the Panasonic allows hand held shots that the 55-135mm can not do much less the magnification..

This is handheld but braced at 1/25th.  5.6  ISO 800.   The Moon looks artificially large in this shot, but the St. Louis Arch is nine miles away.

Jack

• Like 15

I picked up a Panasonic 70-300mm today, coming up are a few fairly quick shots I took on the local waterfront. The following are all handheld at 300mm f/6.3 and 500th (SL2-S, not CL, sorry if this makes it the wrong part of the forum), edited a little to my taste (exposure, pulled blacks, a touch of dehaze). 

At first I was viewing on my iPad Pro at a very high magnification and was a little disappointed. Then I checked 100% and 200% on my Macbook, and I think they look very ok for what I have in mind.

I would have loved the 90-280 but I generally only use telephoto for fairly casual landscape shots and usually travel by bike, hike and/or train, so I would almost never have it with me. Would love to try one though!

It feels great on the SL2 (will also try it on my CL, hoping to attempt a moonrise shot).

Edited by hoolyproductions

(this one at 215mm)

Edited by hoolyproductions

Paparazzi mode

• Like 1

A 'wildlife' shot, shadows heavily boosted here. Bokeh looks pretty nice.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The color version of the crane.

300mm. ( effective 520?)   ISO 800.  1/2500.  f5.6

• Like 7

This is 70mm followed by a 1/4 cropped shot at 300mm of a concrete pour for a parking garage floor.

• Like 2

• Like 5

I use a 400 Leica f5.6 Telyt with a Televit pistol grip, so I am basically handling the lens with a back attached. Focusing with this is fairly easy, though AF would be easier, it is also very exacting. Using the electronic shutter helps too. I should use a tripod more but i have found the Leica Table Top tripod is good for body steadiness above 1/400. 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

This is 300mm cropped to one sixth of the frame, so 1,200mm, effective 1,600?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

moving iron. Panasonic @ 300mm.  1/400. 5.6. ISO 1600

• Like 5