S Adaptor-H & Hasselblad 50-110mm Lens

rajeshr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thought I'd ask the braintrust here before I connect up with the seller(s).

I picked up a Hasselblad 50-110mm zoom from a US based dealer along with the S adaptor-H(from another forum) for my S 007.  The reasoning was that I liked the 50-110mm focal length range better and also was significantly cheaper than the Leica 30-90mm.  Also, would not use the zoom that often since I have the 70mm and 120mm S lenses.

While the images produced seemed fine, I noticed a couple of issues with the lens.  Firstly, the lens would completely lock up randomly and I would not be able to shoot anymore unless I powered the camera off (by removing the battery).  This probably occurs 30-40% of the total times I used the lens.  Secondly, every so often, when starting up the camera would not be able to read the aperture setting from the lens and thus the lens would not work - I'd have to pull the battery and try again.

Anyone experience similar issues with their adaptor and Hasselblad lenses?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Rajesh

1 hour ago, rajeshr said:

I picked up a Hasselblad 50-110mm zoom from a US based dealer along with the S adaptor-H(from another forum) for my S 007.  The reasoning was that I liked the 50-110mm focal length range better and also was significantly cheaper than the Leica 30-90mm.  Also, would not use the zoom that often since I have the 70mm and 120mm S lenses.

While the images produced seemed fine, I noticed a couple of issues with the lens.  Firstly, the lens would completely lock up randomly and I would not be able to shoot anymore unless I powered the camera off (by removing the battery).  This probably occurs 30-40% of the total times I used the lens.  Secondly, every so often, when starting up the camera would not be able to read the aperture setting from the lens and thus the lens would not work - I'd have to pull the battery and try again.

Anyone experience similar issues with their adaptor and Hasselblad lenses?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Rajesh

Hello Rajesh. I'm afraid I can't help you too much, beyond starting that the Hasselblad HC 300mm f4.5 works as it should on S006 and S3 (full aperture control, ok-ish af, correct exif). 

I think @jip has/have quite some experience with Hasselblad on S-bodies. He might chime in. See also 

and other related posts. 

3 hours ago, rajeshr said:

Regards,
Rajesh

I have had this lens for many years. No problem with the lens on my S2p and S3 and the adapter. My lens is about ten years old and does not have an orange dot. 

• Like 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb rajeshr:

Regards,
Rajesh

Regarding that second issue, you can just leave the camera powered on while reseating the adapter. Meaning, press the adapter release button, turn the whole thing with lens about half an inch on the mount, then just lock it back into place. No need to take the battery out and start all over. My Leica-Contax adapter has the same issue on my S006 (no A value readout, just two lines after the letter A on the top display). You could also, if you feel adventurous, use 300 grade sanding paper on the gold pin contacts and see if that helps with establishing a stable lens-body connection.

14 hours ago, helged said:

Hello Rajesh. I'm afraid I can't help you too much, beyond starting that the Hasselblad HC 300mm f4.5 works as it should on S006 and S3 (full aperture control, ok-ish af, correct exif). 

I think @jip has/have quite some experience with Hasselblad on S-bodies. He might chime in. See also 

and other related posts. 

12 hours ago, ynp said:

I have had this lens for many years. No problem with the lens on my S2p and S3 and the adapter. My lens is about ten years old and does not have an orange dot. 

@helged & @ynp,

Thanks - yeah, mine is without the orange dot but can't figure out whether it is the lens or the adaptor at issue here.

4 hours ago, HuntingSand said:

Regarding that second issue, you can just leave the camera powered on while reseating the adapter. Meaning, press the adapter release button, turn the whole thing with lens about half an inch on the mount, then just lock it back into place. No need to take the battery out and start all over. My Leica-Contax adapter has the same issue on my S006 (no A value readout, just two lines after the letter A on the top display). You could also, if you feel adventurous, use 300 grade sanding paper on the gold pin contacts and see if that helps with establishing a stable lens-body connection.

@HuntingSandThat's a great tip - will try it out.  I've use isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts but it hasn't helped.  If it gets to be too annoying, I may well get out the sandpaper.