Struggling with viewfinder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm left handed and I think that makes my left eye dominant but not sure. Anyway when I bring the Q to my eye, instinct is to use my left eye. Given the design, I have to think that 'rangefinders' are meant for right eyed use, allowing both eyes in use? Is it possible to train myself to use right eye and keep left eye open? Any one have experience with this problem? I think I've read that gun owners are told to keep both eyes open when using a scope? Is it not worth worrying about, and just use my left eye with right closed?  

i have to laugh since i have had very little sight in my right eye from birth and i've shot for 55+ years now. i also have astigmatism and target shoot and do astronomy and  both those are challenging. and 2-3 years ago my right eye went out completely after cataract surgery.

i have to turn off any touchscreen on cameras because my nose is planted in the middle of it when using the evf. up until the recent q2 firmware update this caused havoc with the 1-area focusing and nearly all of us left-eye shooters had to use alternate focus options. thankfully you can now turn off the mechanism which was causing you to lock up the camera when your nose pressed it. and btw, on the q2 just 'disabling' the touchscreen doesn't work as it would on some other brands. 

/guy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have any problems with the touch screen and nose. Your story makes me very thankful and for that I am grateful for sure. I guess my question is not clear enough tho. I was asking if there's any point to trying to train myself to shoot with my right eye on the VF or if anyone has managed to do it themselves. 

• Like 1

you're right in that i find it hard to put myself in your place. if you see equally well out of both eyes then hands down i'd use the right one if i could as many if not most cameras which have the option are designed for right eye use. and i don't see what training would be necessary as it's not like a rifle where if you're right handed and you have to shoot left-eyed with a bolt action you're going to have coordination issues unless it's a pump or lever or a semi-auto in which case be prepared for shell casings to hit you in the right eye as they eject! :)

compared to that, a camera is no problem. 

/guy

12 hours ago, BFMount said:

I don't have any problems with the touch screen and nose. Your story makes me very thankful and for that I am grateful for sure. I guess my question is not clear enough tho. I was asking if there's any point to trying to train myself to shoot with my right eye on the VF or if anyone has managed to do it themselves. 

I’m right eye dominant so don’t have the experience you asked for, but I can’t imagine how hard it would be to train myself out of an ingrained, instinctive way of using my eye. I think I’d spend most of my time thinking about which eye to use and how I was holding the camera etc, rather than thinking about the picture I was taking.

I’m sure it is possible, and kudos to you if you even give it a go but, for me, life is too short!