Russian copy?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How can I see if this is a Russian copy? ( it probally is...)

Thank you.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If you have to ask... It is.  Your links are broken for me - but: nazi symbols, "gold" plated" and general look are the indicators from a mile away. Then there are many technical details as well.

44 minutes ago, odoardo said:

Was this all Russian amateur homework or  some sort of organized ( factory? ) work..?

There are thousands and thousands of them, so an organised effort but they could still be built by home workers or prisoners. The quality is awful and if asked they'd say 'well it's just for fun, nobody would be fooled', but people are fooled especially if they have nothing to compare the fake camera to. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

56 minutes ago, odoardo said:

Was this all Russian amateur homework or  some sort of organized ( factory? ) work..?

To answer, body should be inspected by some expert on Russians... from 1934, FED factory (Ukraina) made  thousands of Leica copies, and spares, and parts... so anyone with sufficient skill can obtain any "custom Leica" he likes... in this item, apart the adler, writings are very roughly made... some fakes are a lot finer.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Assuming these left the factory with a Fed engraving and chromed, somebody must have then de-chromed them, filled or polished out the engraving and then re-chromed and re-engraved them, right?

Not an entirely trivial task for what appears to be pennies - as they almost always sell just a little above the price of a real FED.

Here they are, as for some the links were broken.

Edited by odoardo

On 5/29/2021 at 6:29 PM, nitroplait said:

Assuming these left the factory with a Fed engraving and chromed, somebody must have then de-chromed them, filled or polished out the engraving and then re-chromed and re-engraved them, right?

Not an entirely trivial task for what appears to be pennies - as they almost always sell just a little above the price of a real FED.

I think that's probably why there are so many brass fakes. It's not just to make them look vaguely like a Luxus, it also saves the fakers the bother of re-chroming.

On 5/29/2021 at 4:44 PM, jc_braconi said:

And Luftwaffen Eigemtum and WH together are impossible...😁

I wonder what the fakers were thinking with the double quotes. Did they see a camera described as a Leica "Luftwaffen Eigentum" or "WH" and assume they needed to include them when engraving their masterpiece?

Edited by Anbaric
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2021 at 9:39 AM, odoardo said:

How can I see if this is a Russian copy? ( it probally is...)

Thank you.

More a case of how can you not see that it's a Russian copy (copy being a rather flattering term for that!!).

On 5/29/2021 at 6:29 PM, nitroplait said:

Not that I suppose anyone is terribly interested (:lol:) but there seems to be more going on here (I believe) than meets the eye. The whole shape of the rangefinder housing is unlike that of either a FED or a Zorki and I suspect that the whole cap is a wholly new pressing / stamping.

"Details on Request" but, to save a bit of time, here's a look at the shape of a typical 1936 camera compared with a 1941 example. Things to look out for are the gentle arc next to the rewind knob of the early camera compared to the distictly 'front semi-circle - rear straight' form of the '41 and also - importantly - the semi-circular form underneath the shutter-speed dial ('36) compared to the more angular form of the '41;

The camera in the OP would have to be a mix of both styles which is, shall we say, 'Highly Unlikely'?

Also the quality of the pressing of the housing of the 'Luftwaffe' fake is nowhere near as high-quality as that found on a genuine FED or Zorki camera.

I think the fake camera also has a fake r/f housing!

:lol:

I suppose it saves someone the trouble to erase all traces of an original engraving and gives them a 'blank canvas' to weave their Magic as it were?

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2