New Battery? New Camera?

rramesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steven, you said it is a M10 that is coming.

And we know that this new M10 needs a new battery type.

=> It means that the power consumption is higher.

=> it could be linked  to with:

- the viewfinder (hybrid optical and EVF)

Or/and

- the rangefinder (replacement of the complex mechanical one by an electronic system)

The limited edition could be like the first introduction of the LED-frames...

The name could thus be:

- M10 HVF (for hybrid view finder)

- M10 ERF (for electronic rangefinder)

The body can be in Ti or Milled Al or something like that...

Just guessing

2 minutes ago, Aperture 2 said:

Steven, you said it is a M10 that is coming.

Did I ? 

2 minutes ago, Aperture 2 said:

And we know that this new M10 needs a new battery type.

That, I definitely never said, and it's totally unrealistic to assume 🤪 Leica would be quite crazy to introduce a new battery system in an M10, with a big innovation/evolution such as an EVF, a few month away from the announcement of the M11. 

Sorry ! 

Edited by Steven

On 6/10/2021 at 3:27 AM, Steven said:

I think both ways are valid. 

Stick to one camera and one lens: become the master of your gear to enable you to remove it from your creation process… you become one with your camera (been there, done that) 

Explore the infinity of tools at your disposal: open the opportunity of endless creative avenues for yourself (discovering Leica has enabled me to do this). 

i dont think there is one way that is right and one that is wrong. Both work, at different moments of ones life. It’s ok to be curious and experiment. Executives, experience users and dinausors don’t always know it all. Sometimes, being curious is necessary for progress. 
oh, and please don’t give me the speech of Van Gogh and Monet didn’t care about which brush they used bla bla bla. Not only they cared, nor they would have been able to accomplish their visions if they hadn’t chosen the right tools. They just didn’t have a forum to discuss it publicly. 

as far as I’m concerned, I mix both ways. I like to buy lenses and collect them. It’s fun. But I use all of them. And if I leave on a trip on a photo walk, I’ll always only take ONE lens. The one I master the most (at the moment). I’m not slowed down by gear, but I still like to explore new stuf. 

at the end of the month I’m leaving on a trip for 6 weeks. I’m going with one body + one lens. That’s it. 

One camera one lens. Very wise advice offered and practiced by more than a few notables over the decades. This approach can not only help fine-tune the art/skill of photography particularly when first starting out and as long as one chooses the right focal length, but it also insures one can afford the other basic necessities in life regardless of skill level, at the same time 😉 Starving artists take note! 

OTOH, I would be miserable with just one focal length and there are just so many deliverables you can put together at one focal length no matter how much resolution these new sensors allow for cropping multiple compositions in one frame. The right tool for the job, does not mean one tool for all jobs. 

I will say however, when I am out for fun its rare that I bother to change a lens even though I always bring along two lenses. 

On 6/8/2021 at 1:12 PM, derleicaman said:

It certainly has become unobtanium. I am amazed at the pricing on certain Leica things these days. Unfortunately, the price just keeps going higher.

Thank you for complementing my "team", which would be me, myself and I! 🙂 I work with the folks at Leica and dream these things up. Then I work with them to get it done and it becomes a reality. It is not an easy process. The Black paint camera took 4 years to happen, with Leica initially not being very cooperative. The Hammertone took about 2 years. The most difficult thing to get right was the Hammertone finish, of course. The MP3 was actually the easiest one of the bunch. By that time, Leica was in somewhat desperate straights and in need of a revenue generator. I took advantage of this and really pushed them on this one to get everything I wanted. This one only took about a year. As noted, the elephant ear lugs were the most difficult thing for them to do on it. We also looked at a meterless, more pure version, but I figured if people were going to use the camera they would appreciate the meter. I also got pushback on the lens. The 50/1.4 ASPH was fairly new at the time, and they didn't want to divert production for a special model. Somehow, I convinced them it would be in their best interest to do it. Now it is a "regular" limited edition model.

For the most recent special edition for the LHSA, initially it was going to be a Monochrom MD 262, but the advent of the M10 killed it off. Se we went ahead with the 50/2 APO Retro design which was intended to be in the kit. Ironically, I was told at the beginning of that project that we could not do the Retro 50/1.4 ASPH. I laughed and said that was very interesting. They asked why I was laughing. I said, because I was the one that came up with that lens and you're telling me we can't do it. Good thing they were willing to do the 50/2 APO, otherwise it would have killed off the whole project if we had just gone with the Monochrom.

So with all of these "specials", I pushed for something unique and different, not just engraving. Some of those things became "normal" for future Leica products, such as the black paint finish. When I requested it, it was a lost art, and in the end they hired it out to a firm in Austria. Also, the "Black Dot" was my requirement for this camera too. Retro version of the 35/2 Summicron ASPH done special for the Hammertone. As noted, the special features and lens for the MP3, and now the 50/2 APO Retro lens.

You wrote "I pushed for something unique and different, not just engraving"

This is a very interesting story. Thanks for posting. I don't envy your position having to convince engineers and product managers to design something outside of their original plans, but apparently you figured it out and probably have many more tales of what it took/takes to achieve even one success against such a force of nature. Bravo to you and apparently your near miraculous power of persuasion to not only change an engineers mind, but a whole company of engineers! 

34 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

You wrote "I pushed for something unique and different, not just engraving"

This is a very interesting story. Thanks for posting. I don't envy your position having to convince engineers and product managers to design something outside of their original plans, but apparently you figured it out and probably have many more tales of what it took/takes to achieve even one success against such a force of nature. Bravo to you and apparently your near miraculous power of persuasion to not only change an engineers mind, but a whole company of engineers! 

Thanks so much for your comments! FYI, I just did a Instagram interview with Brad Husick on the International Leica Society's (LHSA) site on Wednesday. If you are on Instagram, you can see it

• Like 1