New Battery? New Camera?

rramesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, Steven said:

The newly listed battery and the June 24 release are unrelated. 
But as an additional tip, I’ll tell you that the new 8400 euros shiny item does use a battery to operate. Did I say it was shiny ? 

€8400/$10,241USD?  Yikes.

This will add fuel to the fire for the Leica haters.  It will also give ammunition to those who love to accuse Leica of catering only to the wealthy photographer. 

I have never begrudged Leica their price structure - if the new shiny item is the M11, it will cost what it costs, like the 75mm Noctilux. 

Some fervent adherents to the way of the red dot are going to be left behind, though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

if the new shiny item is the M11

Think the speculation would be a lot hotter if it was.  Leica is expensive - end of discussion. Some think it worth it, some would pay double, and for the rest there are plenty of other very good options. I don't know why those who aren't interested or don't want to spend the required costs waste any time at all reacting to the Brand. Life's too short.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Think the speculation would be a lot hotter if it was.  Leica is expensive - end of discussion. Some think it worth it, some would pay double, and for the rest there are plenty of other very good options. I don't know why those who aren't interested or don't want to spend the required costs waste any time at all reacting to the Brand. Life's too short.

It's not the M11 indeed. But to me it's the second best thing after that. 

Leica is expensive, but mindfully, it can be a good investment. If I had wanted to buy an MP3 last year, even six months ago, it would have cost me around 20K. Everyone would have said "for 4k, the MP takes the same photos". Today, the MP3 costs 40k. I saw the value of some of my lenses double in one year. If you ask me, I didn't do as well with the bank, and I'd rather spend my money is something fun than a pension fund. So yes, life is short, be mindful, enjoy it, buy Leica. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pedaes said:

My point was that for more than a few, it's not a matter of "don't want" but rather "can't." 

Even though I love owning and using the M camera system, it's rapidly approaching a matter of "can't" for me. 

I would hazard a guess that many others on this forum are in the same boat.  Not complaining, not bashing Leica's price structure - just making a fact based observation.

• Like 1

Leica has been a great tool to me. However, one of the most annoying cost-related things about digital Leica is that you have to have 2 of them, so you can use one while the other is in service for 4-6 months (depending on where you live).

I got my first digital M - an M240 - in 2014.  About a year later, I dropped my camera bag and had to send it to Leica NJ to have the rangefinder realigned and it was back in 3 weeks.  Since then, I have never had to send an M camera in for service. 

That's been my experience; YMMV.

Edited by Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/29/2021 at 4:15 PM, Steven said:

It's not the M11 indeed. But to me it's the second best thing after that. 

Aha - if it's not the M11, Steven, then it must be the Official Leica Chicken shed!

Pete.

Edited by farnz
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, farnz said:

Aha - if it's not the M11, Steven, then it must be the Official Leica Chicken shed!

Pete.

The Official Leica Chicken is pleased beyond measure.

Let us all hope fervently that it will be equipped with ISIS (In Shed Image Stabilization).

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 12:33 PM, roma said:

Leica has been a great tool to me. However, one of the most annoying cost-related things about digital Leica is that you have to have 2 of them, so you can use one while the other is in service for 4-6 months (depending on where you live).

Have used my M9 for 8 years? It has traveled tons on my very vibrating motorcycle, over the fuel tank in camera bag, been with me like always everywhere, dropped it once to tarmac from waist level and once to the ground having thin rubber mat. I live in Finland, so it has traveled a ton in too -20 Celcius or less temperature. No service ever needed, works like new, except one navigation arrow can give at times two inputs rather than one you gave. The 50mm summilux took a bit of damage of the tarmac drop, focusing ring is a bit jerky, not butter smooth. I have understood it could be fixed, but not ready to pay 700 euro or something of the Wezzlar service.

Very happy and satisfied of how sturdy and reliable M9 is, like it should be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, maitoparta said:

Have used my M9 for 8 years? It has traveled tons on my very vibrating motorcycle, over the fuel tank in camera bag, been with me like always everywhere, dropped it once to tarmac from waist level and once to the ground having thin rubber mat. I live in Finland, so it has traveled a ton in too -20 Celcius or less temperature. No service ever needed, works like new, except one navigation arrow can give at times two inputs rather than one you gave. The 50mm summilux took a bit of damage of the tarmac drop, focusing ring is a bit jerky, not butter smooth. I have understood it could be fixed, but not ready to pay 700 euro or something of the Wezzlar service.

Very happy and satisfied of how sturdy and reliable M9 is, like it should be.

I like the M system + motorcycle trips.

I had also some photo gear drops with us in the past = so now we ( + my wife ) would never "wear the M" on us anymore as long ago, to be prepared for next pic "on the run".

Does your 8 years old M9's sensor replaced ?

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

I like the M system + motorcycle trips.

I had also some photo gear drops with us in the past = so now we ( + my wife ) would never "wear the M" on us anymore as long ago, to be prepared for next pic "on the run".

Does your 8 years old M9's sensor replaced ?

Nope, apparently I don't have the first series of sensors but later series, according to diagnose mode and sensor ID there.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:33 AM, roma said:

Some truth in this, it's like what they used to say about Jaguar cars "buy two to enjoy one"....................But I think the reliability of the M Leica has only really taken a hit since it went digital, leastways so in my experience. All of my digital Leica M's from the first purchase of a M8 have made at least one trip "home" to mother, a couple of them three or more trips, ( a M9-M made four trips mainly for sensor issues and presently my M10-D is on it's way to have it's wifi formatting connection slapped awake...again ). The M film cameras? Not so much. My 2003 M7 recently went to Wetzlar for a CLA and viewfinder upgrade, otherwise it was doing well. I hope my two year old M-A and the MP that's on order now will prove to be as reliable as the M7 has been.

In contrast to Leica I still own two Nikon Ftn's bought around 1968 I think, they served me well in professional work for a couple of decades without a hiccup, afterwards they were used sporadically for personal work. I still own them and they are working as well as ever they did, never once serviced other than a clean out after working in rough conditions. They were unbreakable.

I hope it is a screenless M10-R. Which then will be called M10-Dr. It  will be a special doctor’s version supplied with a Leica branded stethoscope and a hit among Leica lovers with a medical background. 😉 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, poli said:

I hope it is a screenless M10-R. Which then will be called M10-Dr. It  will be a special doctor’s version supplied with a Leica branded stethoscope and a hit among Leica lovers with a medical background. 😉 

Nope. This is one is not for the doctors. It's for the nostalgics/collectors. 

On 5/29/2021 at 4:15 PM, Steven said:

Quote:  If I had wanted to buy an MP3 last year, even six months ago, it would have cost me around 20K. Everyone would have said "for 4k, the MP takes the same photos". Today, the MP3 costs 40k. I saw the value of some of my lenses double in one year. If you ask me, I didn't do as well with the bank, and I'd rather spend my money is something fun than a pension fund. So yes, life is short, be mindful, enjoy it, buy Leica. 

Please excuse my ignorance and bring me up to date.  What is the MP3 that is being referred to, and why would i want one. I did have an MP3 player a number of years ago that also had an internet browser incorporated.  I used it on overseas trips to access my email via any free wifi facility in a Mcdonalds. It cost me less than £20.   Whats with 20k or 40k?  Obviously we are talking about something else!

Oh!  its very unwise to rely on capital equipment as a substitute for a tax exempt pension fund developed through growth over a long period.    I've learned my lesson. Bought cars, cameras and hifi.  Now i'm in my 70s with some savings but certainly not enough to fund retirement living.  I'm talking about the cost of care. £400 to £1000 per week in a decent home if you can't look after yourself.