Survey: Your wishes for future Leica Q models

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I too would love a longer focal length...hopefully we will get an option. But I understand why it is 28mm...first of all, iPhones are 28mm (and now 13mm) and I think a lot of the younger users that marketers swoon over are used to these wider focal lengths. That, combined with Peter Karbe's "just crop" idea of lenses on high resolution sensors means that it is sensible to make a wider angle that people can crop. Unfortunately, the "just crop" idea is a bit underwhelming if you are a professional and like to use the full sensor you are given. Especially if you prefer something like a 50mm. Still, I wish that Leica would consider something like Fuji and Plaubel did on their rangefinders in the film days: have a standard model and a "w" model. The standard had a lens around 40mm equivalent, and the "w" would be 24-28mm. A dual 28mm/50mm would also be amazing if they could make it reasonably compact and high performing. I think f2 would be ideal, but 2.8 would be fine. If it was f4, I would still be ok, but only if it was razor sharp edge to edge at f4 (because it would surely be shot wide open a lot).

• Like 2

Just make it an interchangeable lens camera. Yes, it would compete with the M but it could be complementary.

Just cropping is not good for portraits; a longer lens is always better.

The size thing is tricky, though. The X Vario, for example, has an excellent but slow lens and it's quite bulky. One of the big advantages of Leica from the earliest days has been its compact size compared with other cameras. It's lost that to some extent. Keep it compact!

• Like 3

Priority request:  Better low light performance (less noise) in the sensor.  Secondary request:  Body reconfiguration to allow access to card and battery without requiring removal of the handgrip accessory (similar to the SL).  Tertiary request:  Integrated L-bracket (for use with arca-swiss tripod head, like the RRS version) and Leica handgrip accessory, with capability to accept finger loop (very important), and with access to card and battery.  Use case:  Now, I keep the Leica handgrip and finger loop on the Q2 (so comfortable).  But I have to take off the Leica handgrip to change the battery or card, then put the Leica handgrip back on.  But if I want to do anything using a tripod, I have to take off the Leica handgrip and put the RRS L-bracket on.  I find the grip on the RRS bracket not as comfortable as the Leica grip.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 1:37 PM, Maaglo said:

the Q line are wonderful camera

I would like a Q3 50mm Summilux 

I would also like the next Q to have 50 or even better 75 Summilux. The SL2-S chip. QP finish plus weather sealing. Ability to change battery/card with Leica handgrip attached. Keep the 24 mg. Having my current QP and adding another Q with a 75 Lux (and the above improvements) would be all I need for a fully capable Q System. I do love the SL2-S but this two-body Q setup would be really nice.

Edited by OR120
sp

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

The only thing I would hope for in a next generation Q would be better high ISO performance. 

While the Q2 has a maximum ISO of 50,000 if you want to make exhibit quality prints, only a small fraction of that 50,000 is usable, based on comments from some who have reviewed the Q2.

Yes, less noise at low exposures would be nice. In the meantime, DxO's DeepPrime improves Q2's low-exposure images considerably. I do not consider noise any longer an issue with my Q2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I continue to be amazed at the how the Q2 provides excellent 28 and 35 choices.

I don't quite understand the suggestions for different focal lengths for some future Q-variant. Is the desire for a different focal length with auto-focus? Or is the desire to have one camera to do everything?

It seems to me that there are already many good choices for different focal lengths, apertures, that can be used on different sensors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom Johnston said:

I don't quite understand the suggestions for different focal lengths for some future Q-variant. Is the desire for a different focal length with auto-focus? Or is the desire to have one camera to do everything?

It seems to me that there are already many good choices for different focal lengths, apertures, that can be used on different sensors.

A 35mm f2.4 APSC camera for so much money is not at all attractive in my view at such a high price.

To me its a great camera for somebody who really likes 28mm and nothing else at all.

So if you really like 35mm focal length for example and the Q3 used that focal length it would be appealing camera.

If you own an M camera or an SL and want a 35mm lens  you do not go out and buy a 28mm lens and crop it to 35mm ,you do the natural thing and get the 35mm lens so why is that any different with a Q?

Although my input to the survey did touch on focal lengths, it was only in the context of it being a minor issue given the overall excellence of the camera. 

I have always cropped (significantly) whether on film or digital, and I have no problems about using only a portion of the sensor - I’m not in my eyes. I’m taking a picture and choosing which portion(s) work best for what I am trying to achieve. 

Because of this approach, I find the Q excellent for 28, 35 and 50. 75mm is also very possible, but usually only in post as the frame lines are tricky to judge in camera. 

What I hanker after is a longer reach (90mm?) using the full sensor, so that I could not only use it as a short tele, but also crop further to simulate even longer focal lengths. I’d find that usefully for travel photography, where isolating architectural details etc is much easier with a longer focal length. I’d relinquish the macro function for that option, and go for, say, a 50/90 or 35/75 at f2.8 or f4  

I suspect basic physics means this isn’t going to happen and, basically, if I wanted it so much I’d just buy a CL or similar. In the meantime, the Q2 is fine by me and once I get a decent chance to travel, I’ll see what Topaz Gigapixel can do to fill the void of having a longer focal length

Leica, whatever you do, please keep the traditional analog shutter dial on top and aperture ring around the lens! No multifunction controls like the CL.

The Q is one of Leica's best selling cameras without a doubt and you have to ask yourself why. My feeling is that the simple, intuitive controls, as well as the excellent IQ, are the reason.

The X cameras are also good in this respect but full frame compacts are where the action is now -- and they are likely to continue to be highly sought after.

Interchangeable lenses would require a new lens range, but existing optics could also be adapted or modified -- and it may well be worth it.

I love my M  but my wife and I could find a place for a modified Q as well.

• Like 3

I would like a MATE like lens. Moderate focal range, small size. No need continuous focal length. F4 is ok, f2.8 is better, f2 or wider would be a dream.

Or the alternative, a Q50 to pair with the existing Q28.

Edited by Einst_Stein

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t see the need for any better low ISO performance. Get the monochrome if you must. At 50000 ISO, you are likely working with your rods not cones in any event. As for the monochrome, I delight in taking handheld night shots with it. The noise patterns are hardly objectionable and part of the aesthetic quality to me. I could see an interchangeable lens system, but would not want to sacrifice the quality of the current lens or pay $8,000 for the lens alone.  

I realize I'm late to the game (I missed out on the survey), but I'd really like to see a tilt screen on the next Q. It can be done in an unobtrusive way and still weathersealed (see the X100V) and really is incredibly useful for composing from low and high angles.

Other than that I'd like better high ISO performance and better AF-C performance.

I thought I would have preferred a 35mm lens (I held off on buying the Q for a while because of the 28), but I've found that I really enjoy shooting the Q2 as a 35mm, with the crop lines always engaged. If I ever need the extra width, it's there, and if I'm unhappy with how I composed my 35mm shot I can easily make small adjustments in post. A 50mm version (with 75, 90 and 135 croplines) would be an amazing addition. Or a 28/50 or 35/50 as some others have proposed.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 2:19 AM, Tom Johnston said:

If you like 29mm then it's great. But 28mm is my third choice after 50mm and 90mm. Currently my Q2 is my 28mm solution for my SL2. I love the form factor though so would really use a 50mm Q2. Like a lot......

Gordon

• Like 1

I miss, in the current line of Leica cameras, the ability to take infrared pictures that the M8 has.
Therefore my wish would be a Q Monochrom with a weak IR filter. So with a BW 092 filter I would turn it into an IR camera.

Best regards

chema

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!