Survey: Your wishes for future Leica Q models

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica Q system has a large fan community here on the Leica Forum – with a lot of passion and clear ideas.

We would like to hear your ideas and perceptions about possible future Leica Q models and thus have set up a survey for this purpose.

It is completely anonymous and should take no more than 5 minutes.

We are looking forward to your answers!

» Take the Leica Q survey

• Like 1

I think it is a nice move to check how current users perceive Leica Q and what are wishes/ideas for future products. 

I was not thinking in this direction but after I completed the survey I realised that two focal lengths FF Elmarit camera with 24 MP sensor and lower price will be a very valid and nice option.

The compact Two-Elmarit 2.8 lens (28/50) in style of M Tri-elmar would cover all possible situations...

I agree with you @FrozenInTime another valid option would be 40/2. Summicron. Great idea. Any Summicron in fact.... 😋

Edited by Cobram
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

there is very little i dislike or would change on the q2. but 28mm has always been one of my least favorite focal lengths 35mm not much better. 24mm is one of my favorites, but very restrictive if only one lens. if there was some way to get a 24mm and a 50mm (or even better, a 24 and an 85 or 90) f2.0 or f2.8 i'd love it. the 40/2 would be a good compromise as i already have that lens on a film cl. 

/guy

• Like 2

The Q2 is perfect as is, at least for me.

I have always liked the 28 fov. The 28 ASPH pretty much lived on my M9 and thought it would be wedded to the M10, but the 35 ASPH has been stuck on it. With the arrival of the Q2 the 28 ASPH hasn't seen any use on the M10 (yet).

And when DNG files are processed in Capture One, you can squeeze out a couple more mm of view; and conversely, a 35 equivalent gives you a 30 megapixel file.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, Tom Johnston said:

The Q2 is perfect as is, at least for me.

I have always liked the 28 fov. The 28 ASPH pretty much lived on my M9 and thought it would be wedded to the M10, but the 35 ASPH has been stuck on it. With the arrival of the Q2 the 28 ASPH hasn't seen any use on the M10 (yet).

And when DNG files are processed in Capture One, you can squeeze out a couple more mm of view; and conversely, a 35 equivalent gives you a 30 megapixel file.

is capture one the only editor which can do this? i tried it on dxo but it didn't seem to work. /guy

28 minutes ago, gteague said:

is capture one the only editor which can do this? i tried it on dxo but it didn't seem to work. /guy

I've only been able to use this in Capture One.

Thorsten says you can use the cropping tool in Lightroom to get the 24mm gain (https://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-Q2-digital-rangefinder-Page-2.html)

Just now, Tom Johnston said:

Thorsten says you can use the cropping tool in Lightroom to get the 24mm gain (https://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-Q2-digital-rangefinder-Page-2.html)

yeah, i can't afford capture one both for the money and the learning curve. and i'm on a hostile boycott of adobe for many years running. :):)

tks. /guy

On 5/26/2021 at 6:47 PM, Tom Johnston said:

I read this and have tried it in LR in every combination I can think of and don't see the 24mm gain at all

9 hours ago, SPR said:

I read this and have tried it in LR in every combination I can think of and don't see the 24mm gain at all

I haven't been able to see it in LR either. Works very well in Capture One for the occasional time it might be needed.

I’d love a lower-resolution version (sensor from SL2-S) with a smaller 35mm f/2 lens.  If it could cost less than the 47MP model, so much the better.  I’d also be more than willing to give up video features for a lower price.

A $4000 Q2-S with the SL2-S sensor is something I would jump on immediately, and with a 35mm f/2 lens (or switchable 28+50mm f/2.8) would be the ultimate travel camera.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2021 at 6:08 AM, Cobram said:

I think it is a nice move to check how current users perceive Leica Q and what are wishes/ideas for future products. 

I was not thinking in this direction but after I completed the survey I realised that two focal lengths FF Elmarit camera with 24 MP sensor and lower price will be a very valid and nice option.

The compact Two-Elmarit 2.8 lens (28/50) in style of M Tri-elmar would cover all possible situations...

I agree with you @FrozenInTime another valid option would be 40/2. Summicron. Great idea. Any Summicron in fact.... 😋

28+50 Elmarit with 24MP sensor was my survey suggestion as well.  I can’t think of a better travel camera.

• Like 2

Let me start off with what I love…the build quality and way it fits in my hands. The physical appearance too. But it seems way too slow for action photography. And the 28mm focal length seems stifling. Ideally you’d deliver a very similar body style with a 40 or 42mm fixed lens. You are very close to perfection! Thanks for allowing me to voice my opinion. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SrMi said:

DxO PhotoLab 4 produces a Q2 file that is a bit wider than what you get in LrC.

i thought i noticed this because there's like a narrow shaded area around the raw image. but when you try to uncontrain the image and export it, it's the same size as the original dng. i tried bringing them side to side in dxo to compare them but i couldn't see much if any difference.

tks, /guy