Complementary camera to the M10?

startover

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/25/2021 at 9:50 AM, Le Chef said:

“The TL and CL seem a bit dated.” The CL was launched a few months before the M10 in 2017. I hadn’t realize how a few months could make such a difference in terms of aging.

I have both the CL and TL2 at the moment...I think you should revisit those choices...both excellent cameras with rendering that will look familiar.  Can be found at drastically discounted prices too...If you are shooting NASCAR, maybe look elsewhere, but for most other things...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

But how is this different compared to the smartphone you've been using so far?

Agreed.  If I were not carrying my phone at all times, I wouldn't bring it with me for its camera.  Having said that, I should look into some photographers who produce great work using just their smartphones.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, startover said:

Thanks ... at this point I have hit "pause".  Btw, your videos seems private--I cannot view them.

Ah, I had posted MANAGEMENT links. Here are the updates:

If I'm thinking VIDEO and ZOOM, I'm thinking MFT by default (would lean FF if just video). The MF and adaptation stories are good too, esp. on Panasonic.

Edited by astrostl

So after some rationalisation the gear is as follows:

M10-D - 35mm Summilux ASPH pre-FLE (aiming to get an APO 35 eventually)

Nikon Z7ii - might add a 35mm Nikkor Z to give an AF option but not a big priority just now.

Lots of Olympus OM film gear (7 bodies, and 14 lenses - which also go on the Nikon) - a 40 year collection.

I also have a 24 Summilux and a 50 APO Cron, but I'm seeing how I get on without them for a bit.

I sold the M6/M7/ M9M and the Q2 for several reasons. 

- too much cash tied up in M bodies - it only makes sense to have one. 

- The Nikon has a way better EVF than the visioflex 020 (size and lag) and a bigger EVF image than the Q2 (though lower resolution technically). Its ergonomically better than the M with visioflex and allows mounting of all my OM lenses. The Nikon sensor has slightly greater DR and better high ISO than the Q2 (though not enough to make a real-world difference) and much more MP than the M. I've used Nikons in the past and all the haptics are there for me still.

- What I would have liked from Leica would be an interchangeable lens version of the Q2 with IBIS and a good EVF. The SL is too big and the M just not designed that way (its a rangefinder and perfect for that). There's a big market for mirrorless bodies that can shoot well with legacy MF lenses (Sony owned this for a good few years, but Nikon are also now in this space), also scope to shoot M lenses like this - though I've got very used to the rendering of my OM glass over the years - and its also pretty good.  My only gripe with the Nikon is the fat grip - seems all modern designs have them - personally I hate them, as I rest a camera in my L palm using fingers for focus and aperture, leaving the R one to rest lightly on the shutter release.

Edited by newtoleica
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, astrostl said:

I have an X1D II and 907X. Hasselblad X is sloooooooow: slow to boot, slow to AF, long blackout. I leave it in MF mode and use back button focus, but mostly just manually focus. Lovely images, but I wouldn't suggest it for much beyond very slow or controlled settings like landscape, product, and studio portrait.

That is what I have heard as well. I think Leica M is slow. I tried the Fuji MF cameras and found them to be quite fast. Might me worth it for you to give them a shoot.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, martinot said:

That is what I have heard as well. I think Leica M is slow. I tried the Fuji MF cameras and found them to be quite fast. Might me worth it for you to give them a shoot.

Hasselblad X is slower than Leica M :P Slower to boot, shutter lag, blackouts. Simply lovely files and colors though.

I think Fuji is a technically better system but I prioritize things like shooting experience, ergonomics, and minimalism big-time.

21 hours ago, astrostl said:

Hasselblad X is slower than Leica M :P Slower to boot, shutter lag, blackouts. Simply lovely files and colors though.

I think Fuji is a technically better system but I prioritize things like shooting experience, ergonomics, and minimalism big-time.

Slower than Leica M? Geez! :D

For me a nippy and fast camera, without computer boot time and computer lag, is a big part of the experience and ergonomics of a camera!

I have not tried either the X1D or the Fuji GFX (MF) cameras, but the Fuji APS-C cameras I love for their simplicity and basic features. One dial for shutter/time, one ring on the lens for the aperture, and one dial on the camera for ISO. Simple. Reminds med of my M camera (even if they are modern mirrorless cameras).

Also love the handling and ergonomics of the Fuji cameras. That was the main reason I went with Fuji X-series over Sonys A6000 serie for a nice portable mirror less camera system. Even if the Sony cameras have great tech, the ergonomics and user interaction is not for me (more like operating a computer than a photographic tool IMO).

That said I have heard that both X1D and the GFX cameras makes for really good colours and fine details! :)

Edited by martinot
  • Like 1

Umm, not sure I understand.

The OP has an M camera - how is that fast or slow?  If it’s turned off, you turn it on as you raise the camera; you frame, set the aperture, check the shutter speed, focus (doesn’t matter in what order), then fire the shutter.  

12 hours ago, martinot said:

Slower than Leica M? Geez! :D

For me a nippy and fast camera, without computer boot time and computer lag, is a big part of the experience and ergonomics of a camera!

I have not tried either the X1D or the Fuji GFX (MF) cameras, but the Fuji APS-C cameras I love for their simplicity and basic features. One dial for shutter/time, one ring on the lens for the aperture, and one dial on the camera for ISO. Simple. Reminds med of my M camera (even if they are modern mirrorless cameras).

Also love the handling and ergonomics of the Fuji cameras. That was the main reason I went with Fuji X-series over Sonys A6000 serie for a nice portable mirror less camera system. Even if the Sony cameras have great tech, the ergonomics and user interaction is not for me (more like operating a computer than a photographic tool IMO).

That said I have heard that both X1D and the GFX cameras makes for really good colours and fine details! :)

Rather uninteresting on a Leica forum, who cares? The M is one of the nippiest cameras I know, once you have learned to use it. Assuming speed and aperture are set, an  experienced user can tap the shutter, raise it to his eye, focus and shoot whilst an AF shooter is still faffing with focus points.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Rather uninteresting on a Leica forum, who cares? The M is one of the nippiest cameras I know, once you have learned to use it. Assuming speed and aperture are sety, an  experienced user can tap the shutter, raise it to his eye, focus and shoot whilst an AF shooter is still faffing with focus points.

Exactly this. Took my Fuji x100v out yesterday, missed a shot due to AF faffing, remember thinking, if only I’d had my M10 with me!

14 hours ago, jaapv said:

Rather uninteresting on a Leica forum, who cares? The M is one of the nippiest cameras I know, once you have learned to use it. Assuming speed and aperture are set, an  experienced user can tap the shutter, raise it to his eye, focus and shoot whilst an AF shooter is still faffing with focus points.

It is the cameras "boot time" from off to shoot that I would like to see improved. This has nothing to do with "experience", but with the hardware and the software of the camera.

Just like the boot time of you iPhone has nothing to do with your experience in IT.

19 hours ago, jaapv said:

Well, in my experience, the M boots in the time you need to lift it to your eye and is ready to shoot, even if the red LED is still blinking.

Yep, my experience as well.  I suppose it’s an issue if you walk about with your camera glued to your eye, or perhaps if you forget to turn it on as you lift the camera.  With the M10-D, I leave it on …

4 hours ago, Lee S said:

I keep mine on too, if I’m walking through an interesting area I just half press the shutter button for it to wake up. Never miss a shot.  

I presume, but don’t know, that you can regulate how long before the camera goes into sleep mode; so all this lag argument would hold no substance at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

I presume, but don’t know, that you can regulate how long before the camera goes into sleep mode; so all this lag argument would hold no substance at all.

I haven’t checked either but assume you can. Honestly just keep in on, depress the shutter if you see anything interesting and it’s ready. Guess the same people will complain then about battery life of digital M’s when left in standby. 

The M10M is the only camera I am using having gone digital after selling off my Leica film bodies. I also have an M8.2 something I have had for a while for casual snaps and now will serve as the back up if I need to travel with the M10M. But if I am to buy a “complementary camera” I would just buy another M10M. Why would I buy into another system and another set of lenses? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rtai said:

The M10M is the only camera I am using having gone digital after selling off my Leica film bodies. I also have an M8.2 something I have had for a while for casual snaps and now will serve as the back up if I need to travel with the M10M. But if I am to buy a “complementary camera” I would just buy another M10M. Why would I buy into another system and another set of lenses? 

For different type of photography.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, martinot said:

For different type of photography.

Ok. I retract my statement. I do shoot film in medium and large formats so it is correct other cameras are necessary for other types of photography. 

• Haha 1