Lenses that inspire you to take photos

rcusick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Steven said:

For similar reasons as your, mine is the the Summilux 35 Pre Asph V1. Beautiful cosmetics, beautiful size, beautiful rendering(s). Every time I see it I want to pick it up. 

I have to admit though that I have been gravitating around the Sumamron 28 for some time now. 

For b&w film the summilux 35 pre is my go to.  I love the size as well.  The coma / glow is wonderful with tri x at night.  An m4 and Summi definitely inspires me..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rcusick said:

For b&w film the summilux 35 pre is my go to.  I love the size as well.  The coma / glow is wonderful with tri x at night.  An m4 and Summi definitely inspires me..

Try it with Ilford XP2 pushed one stop 🥰

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steven said:

I don't think I've ever heard someone say anything bad about this lens. Everyone praised it. I must try it... or own it... 

you should read the first pages of the initial thread about it here. There was plenty of criticism. Terrible vignette, not sharp, f5.6 blasphemy, what are Leica thinking, overpriced, etc.  until some of us started posting photos... then it all went quiet and soon enough they were popping up everywhere :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, ianman said:

you should read the first pages of the initial thread about it here. There was plenty of criticism. Terrible vignette, not sharp, f5.6 blasphemy, what are Leica thinking, overpriced, etc.  until some of us started posting photos... then it all went quiet and soon enough they were popping up everywhere :)

😇

Might you have forgotten to post the link to the thread you are referring to ? 

10 minutes ago, Tom R said:

Those rare instances where I need to replace/repair a lens inspires me to make more pictures. (That's why I own only three Leitz lenses and three M bodies.)

Which lenses which bodies 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steven said:

😇

Might you have forgotten to post the link to the thread you are referring to ? 

I think the negative comments were at the start of the summaron image thread which was only changed to an "image" thread after several pages.

8 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

I think the negative comments were at the start of the summaron image thread which was only changed to an "image" thread after several pages.

Thanks. 
have you used the summaron, Steve ? 

8 hours ago, Steven said:

Thanks. 
have you used the summaron, Steve ? 

Yes i bought it about a month ago and have been pleased with how it renders people and landscape pictures.

Its a wonderful walk around lens as its so small.

Its much sharper than i thought it would be considering its based on a 1955 design,i would say it has medium contrast which is fine for me.

1 hour ago, steve 1959 said:

Yes i bought it about a month ago and have been pleased with how it renders people and landscape pictures.

Its a wonderful walk around lens as its so small.

Its much sharper than i thought it would be considering its based on a 1955 design,i would say it has medium contrast which is fine for me.

After shooting wide open for 15 years and being a sucker of depth of field all my life, I discovered last week that other apertures worked too. I have been playing around with Sunny 16, first on film, and now on digital. With great results. And great fun in the process. It opened a whole new world of photo opportunities for me. 

Since then, the only thing I can think about is the Sumaron 28! What do you shoot it on ? 

3 hours ago, Steven said:

After shooting wide open for 15 years and being a sucker of depth of field all my life, I discovered last week that other apertures worked too. 

hallelujah.. that's a terrific news. Congrats! If you don't mind the suggestion, try to shoot at f/4 only, for a while. You set the your own challenge: one day, one week, one month. It's a fun exercise and a good method to really understand apertures and DoF. I did last year the challenges, and it was very useful. You will be surprise how f/4 ( to say one) is capable of, and to be honest with you, I didn't expect that. At MFD, for example on a 35mm, it can still get sometimes a lovely and always welcome 3d pop 🙂 Because I expose for the highlights, my daily personal Sunny 16 ( on a 35mm) is f/4 - 1/4000 - 200 iso ...   

14 minutes ago, Dennis said:

hallelujah.. that's a terrific news. Congrats! If you don't mind the suggestion, try to shoot at f/4 only, for a while. You set the your own challenge: one day, one week, one month. It's a fun exercise and a good method to really understand apertures and DoF. I did last year the challenges, and it was very useful. You will be surprise how f/4 ( to say one) is capable of, and to be honest with you, I didn't expect that. At MFD, for example on a 35mm, it can still get sometimes a lovely and always welcome 3d pop 🙂 Because I expose for the highlights, my daily personal Sunny 16 ( on a 35mm) is f/4 - 1/4000 - 200 iso ...   

Nice tip, will definitely try at some point. For the month of June, I went to the extreme opposite. Trying all my lenses at F16. I imagine they will all look the same, but I cant wait to be wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steven said:

Nice tip, will definitely try at some point. For the month of June, I went to the extreme opposite. Trying all my lenses at F16. I imagine they will all look the same, but I cant wait to be wrong. 

f8/11 and avoid diffraction.  There are still myriad ways to render an image.

Much more interesting for me to fill a frame compositionally,  side to side and front to back.  Picture content, not easy lens effects and blurred backgrounds (or worse, partially blurred subjects).

Jeff

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

^ Yes, at f/16: you can find the physics of it through a search. Interestingly, Ralph Gibson shot his Quadrants series with a DR Summicron at f/16 in bright sunlight, before he knew about diffraction — all at 1m distance, so that the 16x20 inch prints that he made showed subject at its actual size as reality.

Just now, Nowhereman said:

^ Yes, at f/16: you can find the physics of it through a search. Interestingly, Ralph Gibson shot his Quadrants series with a DR Summicron at f/16 in bright sunlight, before he knew about diffraction — all at 1m distance, so that the 16x20 inch prints that he made showed subject at its actual size as reality.

Thanks Mitch, I will look it up. It's nice to see you around. You're the one who put that 28 Summaron in my head with the photos you take with it. 

I was thinking about you yesterday because I'm looking at an item from a dealer in Bangkok and having a little trust issues. Too bad you're "stuck" out of the country for now. 

A stranger skateboarder in Paris. Kodak Portra 160, MP + 35 8elements. Developped and low res scan from a new lab I'm testing. Didn't take it in LR yet. Can you guys tell me if the dev seems right? The colours dont look too right to me. I am struggle to nail the dev part. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!