Lenses that inspire you to take photos

rcusick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with the assertion that the situation inspires the photography - i.e. a subject, a trip, a simple walk in the neighborhood.  I also agree that certain lenses suit different situations.  That said - I find certain lenses "call to me".  I either like the way they feel or I cant wait to see how their inherent character presents an image.  Lenses that I can't get out of my head include - 28mm summaron, 50mm summilux, 35mm cron v4.  They're not technically the best lenses in their class but have an "it" factor that supercharges my creativity.  

• Like 1

I have too many lenses. 21mm (1), 28mm (3), 35mm (3), 50mm (3), 75mm (1), 90mm (1). I could convince myself that purchasing a Summilux-M 28mm would lead to amazing up-close portraits like the many I've seen here, but that's mostly rationalization and GAS. I'll probably buy it eventually anyway. 😉

After anticipation has worn off and the gear has lived on the shelf for a while, it's not a source of inspiration.

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

To be inspired by lenses is a bassackward concept. It's what you see in the world that drives good photographs, and what you want to say visually that leads to your finding a voice. If you seek this from lenses you'll never come out of the consumerist trap — and your photography will be a perpetual lens-testing exercise.

Edited by Nowhereman

1 hour ago, andyturk said:

I have too many lenses. 21mm (1), 28mm (3), 35mm (3), 50mm (3), 75mm (1), 90mm (1). I could convince myself that purchasing a Summilux-M 28mm would lead to amazing up-close portraits like the many I've seen here, but that's mostly rationalization and GAS. I'll probably buy it eventually anyway. 😉

After anticipation has worn off and the gear has lived on the shelf for a while, it's not a source of inspiration.

This is not correct: you have never enough lenses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Over maybe 20 a year span,  my top inspiration driving lens has moved from the 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH to 50/0.95 Noctilux to Voigtlander 40/1.2 - the latter having an angle of view that  feels comfortable, modest size and optical characteristics also somewhere between the other two.

Interesting discussion. To me a lens describes the way you look at the world. These days photography is no more reproducing a subject but "how we see any subject". As  the painters used to say, there is no subject in painting. Photography may be also seen that way. Is there really a subject in photography ? Great photographers turn the subject into a photographic achievement, while others may not have seen it that same way.How any subject can make a good photograph ? Through light and lens.This is why the lens is very very important . To me there are lenses I like and others that I do not as they do not correspond to my way of looking to the world. For instance I could never get used to a 35 mm.

I am personally very much inspired how a 24 mm depicts my subjects and try to match my view accordingly. One lens may be enough. But when for other type of work technicalities come in play and different lenses may be of different uses. This is why we have them in the stable. But for the best expression of how we look at the world and how we want to convey parts of it in photographic expression the lens is the determining factor. This is why I find OP's point very relevant.

Edited by newnew
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, newnew said:

…As  the painters used to say, there is no subject in painting. Photography may be also seen that way. Is there really a subject in photography ? Great photographers turn the subject into a photographic achievement, while others may not have seen it that same way.How any subject can make a good photograph ? Through light and lens.This is why the lens is very very important …

Totally agree.  I understand that a lot of creative photographers have a subject in mind and then choose the equipment to bring the subject to life, how they see it.  To me the subject is not priority, sometimes irrelevant.  Photography is for my painting with light.   The creative process of for example using a Thambar 90 f2.2 on a M10M and the search for a subject that can help me express what I want  to express is rewarding. And the lens - the Thambar in this case - is an essential part of it.  

… and luckily Leica (and others) offers a very vast choice of lenses to use on our Leica’s :

• the Thambar 90 
  • 18 Super Elmar-M Asph
  • 35 Summicron-M IV
  • 100 Elmarit-R macro
  • 280 Telyt-R

are my current favourites.  But that may change when the lust for a new lens appears again  

• Like 1

I don't know, I often see comments about how a lens is like an artists brush, and different 'brushes' give different effects.

I guess an artist doesn't create a painting to use a particular brush, but will use a particular brush (or more like several brushes and other tools) to create a particular painting. So I would agree it isn't really about the lens as the driving force, rather the subject matter.

That said, when someone buys a Noctilux they seem to go mad shooting everything possible at full aperture.

I have used Edwardian era lenses to shoot cars of the same age though on the London to Brighton rally. 

Without an object for inspiration, any lens, even the most loved one, will lie on the shelf.

The reason for me to create photography is to learn the tricks of film and art. 

When you begin to understand, the equipment ceases to be in the first place.

The artist can create the picture with his elbows.

Edited by capo di tutti capi
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, capo di tutti capi said:

Without an object for inspiration, any lens, even the most loved one, will lie on the shelf.

The reason for me to create photography is to learn the tricks of film and art. 

What is an elbow's focal length ?😄

Edited by newnew

12 hours ago, capo di tutti capi said:

If equipment is not important what are we all doing here on a dedicated Leica site?  🤪 

If you browse different sites dedicated to one camera platform - be it Canon, Nikon, Sony or Leica - by far on this forum the love of the equipment plays an important role in photography related discussions.   

Could it be that Leica equipment inspires most of us to make pictures?  Not necessary beter pictures, I'm not pretending that.  Could it be that the Leica camera's and lenses give us so much joy  that they inspire us to go out and have always a camera with us?  Regardless of the subject we have in mind.  And just wait what comes along.  And try to master the limitations of manual focus, the limitations of a rangefinder or of an old vintage lens and still be able to be creative. For me this is certainly true.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Stef63 said:

Could it be that the Leica camera's and lenses give us so much joy  that they inspire us to go out and have always a camera with us?

oh Yes. This is a big YES !

Leicas do have a soul :) using a Leica is such a pleasure I use it much more, and maybe it even improves my pics, sometimes...

• Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 4:58 AM, rcusick said:

I've tended to favor lenses that inspire me to take photos.  They're often lenses with character and those that live up to the barnak philosophy of being "lite".

My favorite today is the 28mm summaron.  What's yours?

For similar reasons as your, mine is the the Summilux 35 Pre Asph V1. Beautiful cosmetics, beautiful size, beautiful rendering(s). Every time I see it I want to pick it up. 

I have to admit though that I have been gravitating around the Sumamron 28 for some time now. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 3:58 AM, rcusick said:

I've tended to favor lenses that inspire me to take photos...

I'm happy for you and I would be delighted to know you have captured many a great moment / scene over the years with that modus operandus!

I've never once gone about photographing things - or even remotely thought about snapping them - in quite that way but, hey!, if it works for you then surely that's all that matters?

Philip.

Edited by pippy