Lenses that inspire you to take photos

rcusick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've tended to favor lenses that inspire me to take photos.  They're often lenses with character and those that live up to the barnak philosophy of being "lite".

My favorite today is the 28mm summaron.  What's yours?

Edited by rcusick
  • Like 3

• rcusick changed the title to Lenses that inspire you to take photos

Hello Rcusick,

Welcome to the Forum,

I would agree with Jaeger that it is the subject material that is the driving force in wanting to take a photo.

Having said that I would say that a 35mm lens is the easiest lens to take photos with. A 35mm lens can do pretty much everything. A 90mm lens is the best lens to teach a person about photography & how to take photos. And it is a great lens to take a wide variety of photos. A 135mm lens creates very nice photos. It reaches those places a 90mm lens can't quite get to with that pleasant mild compression that can't be gotten with a 90mm lens. A special look.

28mm & wider, as well as 50mm & 75mm lenses are angles of coverage that I don't find to be very interesting.

So, that's it for me: A 35mm lens along with a 90mm lens & certainly a 135mm lens. All on an M3.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

For me it will be the currently mounted lens. I rarely travel with a bag of choices. Having said that, my favorite is the Summicron 28. Second would be the Summilux 50.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 3

My two favorite lenses are the 35 and 50 mm Summilux pre-ASPH. I like to handle them, they look cool, and I love to see the pictures afterwards. You never know 100% how the result will be with such old lenses, but usually it is a positive surprise.

• Like 4

On any M: VC 15mm, Elmarit 24, Summilux75. On the Monochrome 1: Summicron 35 iv. On the SL: APO-Elmarit 180 and APO-Telyt 280/4.0

Edited by otto.f

For me, the "process" is different: first I try to be clear about my objectif: Travel, Portrait, Landscape, Architecture. Then 2. question is about weight. 3. question about fstop etc. This means I have not ONE preferred lens. I have preferred lenses depending on the photographic contexte. However, If I take a look on the Metadata of more then 1000 images, my most used (without surprise) is the Summilux-M f2.0/35mm ASPH. 

• Like 1

The retro version of 50mm APO.  I just love the old design focusing ring and everything about this lens feels just right.

A 75mm Noctilux or 90mm Summilux would inspire me to explore wide open photography . . . and maybe frustrate me as well with all the out of focus images.  Sadly (or thankfully) I can't afford either!

Imho im in the view that a lens is just tool to take inspiring photos, and some camera / lens combinations are more conducive to a style of photography that allows the equipment to not get the way in the joy of taking photos. Some lens / camera combos are more generalised  for multiple genres, which is why its used more often and favoured by the photographer.

One of the main reason I use and love using Leica Ms is the simplicity of a very efficient design. The Joy to use a M+Lens is important, so using Lenses I feel at ease with is important. It increases my pleasure and thus my ability to make better photos.

I switched from M(240) to M10M mainly because of the pleasure to use the camera. As well as of the body, a well designed Lens is part of the experience.

It really depends on the situation, but most of the Time I use the APO-50.

i happen to use heavier lenses if they conccur to my goal (lux 75, noct 50), but most of the time I choose among apo 50, ‘lux 35 and ‘cron 75

• Like 1

I do love my little Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 ii.

It has a wide apeture, ‘character’ wide open, I can make it flare for artistic purposes and sharp enough and well behaved stopped down.

All this versatility in tiny package, plus it looks great makes me want to go shoot. 

Edited by Lee S
  • Like 5

I'm not at all keen on the idea that photography is about demonstrating lenses, or that one lens is so superior or distinctive that it's the sole reason to use it. That said there is one area where the subject and the lens can be transformative for each other, so I'll vote for a pinhole as my 'inspiring' lens.

• Like 2

I don't think I've been inspired by a lens to take photos. A newly acquired lens I certainly want to unveil its capabilities and nuances, and that involves using it, but outside of that, lenses don't inspire me to take photos, subjects and situations do. I imagine a gear head though, might be inspired by a lens to take photos.

• Like 2