Going strapless!

augustwest100

Don't do it! I always make sure I put the strap over my neck and make sure others do, too. Same with Leica binocs. 

Only time strap gets in the way, not with the M10 but D-Lux 5, has been with close ups and copy work.

• Like 2

I use a Gordy. wrist strap with my M10M. Very liberating. With film cameras a neck strap makes more sense though to free your hands to change film.

Edited by rtai

Hello Everybody,

I use an original, thin, Leica shoulder strap 14092 (No shoulder pad.) in 2 different ways: 

Properly adjusted with the strap on my left shoulder, with the camera pulled up to my eye taughtly:

This gives + 1 stop, sometimes more, of added stability when taking hand held photos.

With the strap adjusted, as per above: With the strap wrapped twice around my left wrist with the camera body in my left hand: The strap holds the camera securely enough while still allowing enough looseness for lens adjustment, etc.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

On 5/25/2021 at 6:59 AM, augustwest100 said:

I recently discovered the joy of shooting without having the camera on a strap around my neck. Only took me a few decades to figure that one out!

Wondering how M users feel about a half case with a little grip on it, versus a Leica hand grip, versus nothing at all, when planning to use without a strap.

On my last M, I had one of those rope straps, and I could wrap it around my wrist, but now I am ready to take the full strapless plunge! 🙂

Any suggestions?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 5/25/2021 at 6:59 AM, augustwest100 said:

I recently discovered the joy of shooting without having the camera on a strap around my neck. Only took me a few decades to figure that one out!

Wondering how M users feel about a half case with a little grip on it, versus a Leica hand grip, versus nothing at all, when planning to use without a strap.

On my last M, I had one of those rope straps, and I could wrap it around my wrist, but now I am ready to take the full strapless plunge! 🙂

Any suggestions?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another thing that looks slightly alarming is seeing  photographers with heavy DSLR or big lens cameras slung diagonally and the lens facing outwards -- just asking to be knocked and dinged. If I'm carrying a camera diagonally I'll make sure the lens is facing into my body for protection. But this is only for carrying not shooting, otherwise just slung around my neck tourist-like is ready to go and absolutely fine.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:59 AM, augustwest100 said:

Any suggestions?

Hope you have a good grip lugging around 2+ pounds over a long period. I find its easy to lose grip so a PD wrist stap is a contingency...however i do find the PD anchors can be abrasive on the camera body if you aren't too careful so case protecting lugs would help.

Edited by cboy
  • Like 1

I am trying to a new system: Peak Design wrist strap what using a light weight lens for street or casual walking around, and then switch to the neck strap by Peak when using a heavier lens, across the body. This is for the SL2S.

for the M camera, I am using a silk rope strap that I can use around my neck or wrapped around my wrist.

I will heed the words of caution from members against going completely strapless.

strapless!!!

• 2 months later...

I thought that I would post an update here, just because I tried the strapless experiment for a little while. Here is what I found for me:

On the Leica M body, I use the artisan artist silk cord neckstrap. When I get tired of holding the camera, I have the strap, and when I want to use a wrist strap, I wrap it around my wrist. Has the added benefit of being able to wrap the cord around the lens when putting the camera way. I am comforted that it is attached directly to the camera with the 'o' ring.

On the SL2-S, I leave the peak design thingys on it. If I have a light lens, like the Sigma 45mm, or an M lens, I sometimes use the peak design wrist strap with a small bag, like the Ona Bowery. If I have a heavier lens, or I don't want to hold it all the time or carry a bag, I use the peak design slide light, and if it is a very heavy or big lens, I clamp one on the side and one on the tripod mount, because the lens then hangs nicely. I do worry a bit about the peak design cord fraying and breaking, but so far I have had no issue at all, so much so that I sometimes completely forget about it, which is what worries me!

In no circumstance was I comfortable holding the camera without anything attached to it. I feel confident holding the SL2-S in my hand with the Sigma 45 or with the Leica M 35mm lens, but it just didn't work out for practical reasons for me.

I -DO- wish artisan and artist made some sort of Leica M friendly version of the cord strap with a native peak design anchor link, but I recognize the complexity of that happening. I also wish the plastic peak design anchor links were nicer looking somehow, but I realize that even Leica lovers can't have it all 🙂

Augustwest100, I have a similar approach. After experimenting with various neck, cross body, and wrist straps, I now use the Arte di Mano Comodo Neck Strap - Rally Volpe on the M10-R. It is very pliable (and beautifully hand crafted) and easy to wrap around my wrist for that requirement or can be store with the strap wrapped around the lens. If I need to go hands free for a while I have the neck strap functionality. For the SL2-S I use either the Peak Design Slide or Slide Lite neck straps, depending on lens size. I decided not to use the Peak Design on the M owing to aesthetic considerations. There's also the metal element of the anchor link that could lead to a scratched camera.

It's great that we have so many choices.

7 hours ago, Pixeleater said:

There's also the metal element of the anchor link that could lead to a scratched camera.

I can understand the concern, but I have been using these straps for years and have never seen it. I think that the edges are rounded enough to prevent such problems. 

16 hours ago, Pixeleater said:

...There's also the metal element of the anchor link that could lead to a scratched camera...

The metal issue with the PD brand is on the wrist straps, not the anchors. Their wrist straps have a metal band that not only can scratch the camera but also tightens up on your hand in use and requires setting down the camera and using both hands to loosen.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 6:31 AM, NZDavid said:

Another thing that looks slightly alarming is seeing  photographers with heavy DSLR or big lens cameras slung diagonally and the lens facing outwards -- just asking to be knocked and dinged. If I'm carrying a camera diagonally I'll make sure the lens is facing into my body for protection. But this is only for carrying not shooting, otherwise just slung around my neck tourist-like is ready to go and absolutely fine.

How are you going to make a 600 mm lens face your Body? 🤩