Going strapless!

augustwest100

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently discovered the joy of shooting without having the camera on a strap around my neck. Only took me a few decades to figure that one out!

Wondering how M users feel about a half case with a little grip on it, versus a Leica hand grip, versus nothing at all, when planning to use without a strap.

On my last M, I had one of those rope straps, and I could wrap it around my wrist, but now I am ready to take the full strapless plunge! 🙂

Any suggestions?

16 minutes ago, augustwest100 said:

...Any suggestions?

Be careful and don't drop your camera!

Seriously - I could go with a half case or with an M grip on the camera but I would not go without at least a wrist strap:  https://www.harrybenz.com/shop/la-cravate-1

I am neither lucky, brave nor sure handed; if I dropped one of my Leicas due to not having a strap of some kind in place, I would never forgive myself.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 4

vor 20 Minuten schrieb augustwest100:

...now I am ready to take the full strapless plunge! 🙂
Any suggestions?

No way! - If I don't feel a camera strap around my neck, it triggers an internal physical alarm.
It's just like driving a car without a seat belt, the former feeling of freedom has long gone for the need for security.

I fail to see what impediment a strap is when shooting, in fact, I often wind it tightly around my wrist to stabilize the camera. And I wouldn't want to waste  time by fumbling around in a bag when I see a "decisive moment" type of situation.

What I do dislike is the pressure of the strap on my neck and the bumping around of a camera. So I have a long strap diagonally and carry the camera on my hip

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used to make custom long straps and also carry camera diagonally with lens small enough to keep it hang balanced.

Few years ago I started to use self-securing DIY wrist straps only, shaped from soft but durable leather, and forming the loop repeating contour of wrist. I'm using same strap shape with M10 these days.

I'm a heretic here. I find neck straps uncomfortable, they get in the way when shooting (hanging in front of the lens - a particular nuisance for rangefinders, where you might not notice till you get home and check the image), and they add bulk for packing away in a bag. And why have a neck strap and use it as a wrist strap by inelegantly wrapping it round your wrist? I never use them. When I had a M240 it lived on a wrist strap when I used it, and in a shoulder bag for carrying around. My CL does the same. My SL2-S has a hand strap to stop it swinging with its increased inertia. (My SL2-S is not for carry-around photography it's for events, portrait sessions etc). My Sigma fp has no strap at all because it is always used on a tripod. If you can't get your camera out of a shoulder bag when you need it in a hurry, you have the wrong bag. And none of my cameras have cases, neither half nor full. I did use a half-case on my M9 and M240, but they fell out of use - just unnecessary bulk, and the cameras never got bumped.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

Despise camera straps.. I haven't used one in 7 years since a stupid strap caused my camera and lens to drop on the pavement.. am definitely at fault too but I haven't dropped one ever since giving up the straps.. no matter how heavy or light my gear is.. (did drop one other time because of a faulty tripod head though..)  

sling bags and sometimes backpacks and sometimes cases with rollers work best for me.. I even remove the strap lugs from my cameras for better gripping.. 

8 hours ago, augustwest100 said:

I recently discovered

I walked this path vice versa. I always had a bag to cover up my camera and get it out without strap to make the photo. Recently I wear it with a strap, this is mainly since the silk straps became part of my equipment. I have a pacsafe waistbag to carry my second or third lens. In the end I find that more practical and the time is gone that I felt the urge to NOT look as a tourist, which is rather hypocrite. If I do carry a shoulder bag the silk strips are very foldable and don’t irritate me. 

Edited by otto.f

I find neck strap to be tiring, until I get a long enough one to become shoulder strap and have the camera on my right side instead of in front of my chest. It's much more stable especially when I'm trying to squat or bow the camera won't suddenly swing and hit something in front of my eyes. Not to mention hiding the camera under my right arm to minimize hitting something.

I do, however, enjoy being strapless with a thumb grip instead of hand grip. The thumb grip almost feel like it the camera won't slip off my hand but I still feel more secure with a strap. In and out of the bag just isn't too practical for my own habit.

Edited by Casey Jefferson

12 hours ago, augustwest100 said:

I recently discovered the joy of shooting without having the camera on a strap around my neck. Only took me a few decades to figure that one out!

Wondering how M users feel about a half case with a little grip on it, versus a Leica hand grip, versus nothing at all, when planning to use without a strap.

On my last M, I had one of those rope straps, and I could wrap it around my wrist, but now I am ready to take the full strapless plunge! 🙂

Any suggestions?

To me, the best strapless-feel with real security is the lightweight Cecilia wrist strap with loop--no split ring to rub resale value out of your camera 😉 . I use this wrist strap and the Leica grip. Everything slips nicely into the smallest of sling bags.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

https://www.shopcecilia.com/collections/camera-wrist-straps/products/black-baby-alpaca-wool-and-black-leather-camera-wrist-strap-cord-attachment

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 1

I'm with Jaap on this. I use a Leica wide strap which I'm not sure they offer any more. I hang it over my shoulder so the strap crosses my chest diagonally and the camera rests against my body just above my hip. It's totally comfortable and I can easily bring the camera quickly to my eye for shooting. This has the added advantage of leaving both hands free so I can bike or stop for a coffee without having to rearrange anything.

I tried a custom made wrist strap and found it just didn't work for me. It's been on the shelf for about five years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jaapv said:

I fail to see what impediment a strap is when shooting, in fact, I often wind it tightly around my wrist to stabilize the camera. And I wouldn't want to waste  time by fumbling around in a bag when I see a "decisive moment" type of situation.

What I do dislike is the pressure of the strap on my neck and the bumping around of a camera. So I have a long strap diagonally and carry the camera on my hip

Yes, it’s the pressure on my neck I dislike.  Also, the way the camera swings sometimes when I have a quicker walking rhythm. When in a backpacking situation, I have one of those packs where the camera sits in a side pocket and you sort of drop one shoulder and slide it around to access. When walking around the city that could work too but it is somewhat bulky and not super easy to access quickly. I have a Hadley Pro but never got used to the feeling of the diagonal pull on my neck and shoulder. So, for me, maybe the best would be a wrist strap and handgrip combo that could go in my backpack for longer trips with more gear, or a smaller bag like the Ona Bowery for small walkabouts. I could deal with the strap on the Bowery because it would be lighter when the camera was in my hand and heavier only when transporting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LBJ2 said:

To me, the best strapless-feel with real security is the lightweight Cecilia wrist strap with loop--no split ring to rub resale value out of your camera 😉 . I use this wrist strap and the Leica grip. Everything slips nicely into the smallest of sling bags.

https://www.shopcecilia.com/collections/camera-wrist-straps/products/black-baby-alpaca-wool-and-black-leather-camera-wrist-strap-cord-attachment

Definitely will check this out! Thanks.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 10:30 AM, jaapv said:

So I have a long strap diagonally and carry the camera on my hip

Same here. While both safe and comfortable, the disadvantage of this approach is that a camera with such a long strap becomes quite difficult to stow away in a bag, unless the bag is quite large, because the strap requires more space than the camera.