S3: Battery at 50% - “Please change”

sincurves

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got the message to replace battery after I shot ~250 frames today. Battery still shows 50% charge left. No LV and little playback. Is this a typical number of shots to be expected from a fully charged battery? I’m used to S 006 which seemed to last forever before requiring a recharge.

41 minutes ago, sincurves said:

I got the message to replace battery after I shot ~250 frames today. Battery still shows 50% charge left. No LV and little playback. Is this a typical number of shots to be expected from a fully charged battery? I’m used to S 006 which seemed to last forever before requiring a recharge.

Hello! S3 may need a little more power to process/store larger files, plus use of live view requires power. Despite this, the battery on S3 still lasts close to 'forever'. Do check, however, that you use the S007/S3 batteries on S3, the latter being modified compared to the S006 battery):

Perhaps just shoot it until it discharges and then fully charge it? A lot of lithium batteries require being used fully to recalibrate their charge information. It should probably not be done every time it is used, but it necessary every once in awhile.

I should say that I have never see a battery warning on the S3, but I typically shoot for several hours in a day, not the entire day without charging.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Perhaps just shoot it until it discharges and then fully charge it? A lot of lithium batteries require being used fully to recalibrate their charge information. It should probably not be done every time it is used, but it necessary every once in awhile.

I should say that I have never see a battery warning on the S3, but I typically shoot for several hours in a day, not the entire day without charging.

Thanks, Stuart. I'll give it a complete cycle. I put the battery back in the dual charger and it was indeed flat even if the display showed three bars which indicates the charge information is off.

Mgrayson3,   I just wrote Sincurves about my S3 experience.  When I owned the S007, I never had any issue.  Just the battery drain with the S3.  It is essentially the same board in the S007 as S3.  I tried a camera reset twice, that cleared it for a short time but came back.  As I wrote Sincurves, I sent a detailed description of the issue and battery  with the S3 and it was fixed in a very expeditious manner at Wetzlar.   You might call Leica at Wetzlar and talk with them.  I have since sold my S system to my assistants due to semi-retirement.  r/ Mark 

3 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

Mgrayson3,   I just wrote Sincurves about my S3 experience.  When I owned the S007, I never had any issue.  Just the battery drain with the S3.  It is essentially the same board in the S007 as S3.  I tried a camera reset twice, that cleared it for a short time but came back.  As I wrote Sincurves, I sent a detailed description of the issue and battery  with the S3 and it was fixed in a very expeditious manner at Wetzlar.   You might call Leica at Wetzlar and talk with them.  I have since sold my S system to my assistants due to semi-retirement.  r/ Mark 

Thank you, Mark. It was the old 007 that had the problem. If I notice it on the S3, I'll be sure to report to Wetzlar.

Matt