Image comparison 35 Summilux Asph with 35 Summicron APO Asph

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Jono,

I , like everyone here, appreciate the time & effort that you put into testing & reviewing things the way that you do. Your writing & photos make everyone's life easier. Well done.

I would like to offer a suggestion in terms of comparison photos: The photos themselves are quite good. No need to change anything there.

It is the layout that I would like to make a suggestion about: When you have a series of comparison photos that follow 1 after the other: It is difficult to compare 1 photo to the other because there is a gap in a person's visualization as the person goes up & down among a  number of photos being compared.

When comparing this & that, up & down, again & again: The breaks in concentration make it difficult to maintain a system/structure of concentration on a number of different variables at the same time: "Was it the 3rd leaf on the left or the 4th leaf on the left that had.........."?

For the main format it might help to present the  major comparative photos side by side in the same frame more often. As you already do some of the time.

Once again, well done.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest Nowhereman
54 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

...When comparing this & that, up & down, again & again: The breaks in concentration make it difficult to maintain a system/structure of concentration on a number of different variables at the same time: "Was it the 3rd leaf on the left or the 4th leaf on the left that had.........."

Actually, I feel it's better the way Jono has done it, placing the images sequentially: you can double-click on the first on in each series (the FLE 1.4) and then use your arrow keys to go through the sequence — not only do you get a higher resolution image on your screen, but also as one image replaces the previous one on your screen you can observe exactly what changes. But the first time you move the arrow key through the images, the screen takes time to refresh: so, view it once and, then, do the viewing a second times and the images will change instantly and you can have a very good comparison.

Edited by Nowhereman

Guest Nowhereman

@jonoslack - Thanks for the valiant effort on this. Very instructive. The FLE comes off better at f/1.4 than I would have thought. However, I have a feeling it wouldn't do as well in the comparison if there were some a sequence shot into the light or with strong backlight.

Hello Nowhereman,

I am sure that your system for switching back & forth works quite well. 

My idea is to have  images sitting still, side by side, etc. so that a person can concentrate on the images themselves instead of having to use a part of their concentration to manipulate back & forth, etc.

Sometimes a little stillness in the World helps with concentration.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

@jonoslack - Thanks for the valiant effort on this. Very instructive. The FLE comes off better at f/1.4 than I would have thought. However, I have a feeling it wouldn't do as well in the comparison if there were some a sequence shot into the light or with strong backlight.

Hi There 

Thanks for the kind words

I did put some of those shots in another message a bit further down the page - maybe you didn't see them?

all the best

Jono

6 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Actually, I feel it's better the way Jono has done it, placing the images sequentially: you can double-click on the first on in each series (the FLE 1.4) and then use your arrow keys to go through the sequence — not only do you get a higher resolution image on your screen, but also as one image replaces the previous one on your screen you can observe exactly what changes. But the first time you move the arrow key through the images, the screen takes time to refresh: so, view it once and, then, do the viewing a second times and the images will change instantly and you can have a very good comparison.

6 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Nowhereman,

I am sure that your system for switching back & forth works quite well. 

My idea is to have  images sitting still, side by side, etc. so that a person can concentrate on the images themselves instead of having to use a part of their concentration to manipulate back & forth, etc.

Sometimes a little stillness in the World helps with concentration.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thank you both for the input

In fact, I think I can probably do both - if the images are placed side by side, then double clicking should work the same.

I'll try better next time!

best

Jono

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 8:05 AM, Nowhereman said:

Thanks Mitch for this valuable information. Didn't know that and it helps a lot. 

On 5/24/2021 at 4:43 PM, jonoslack said:

Finally - I really ought to do some work!

FLE at f1.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

FLE at f2

APO at f2

Finally a couple of 100% screenshots of the comparison both at f2

I just found the senter crop of the birdhouse with the FLE at f2,0 to be remarkably unsharp...

Great thread, thanks.

@jonoslack: Any shots showing just the corners at f/2? The bite from the Apo is addictive...
I use the Apo-50, and it's hard to go back once you get used to that crispness... especially on slow film.

The 35lux is obviously still very impressive. And tiny compared to the competition.

• Like 1

Jono, thank you for this post and the real-world comparison samples. Something I've wanted to see since the APO was introduced . Nothing like comparing images side by side to really see how a lens performs. One nit on the toilet house images. Looks to me focus was missed on the FLE image? I don't think I've ever seen my FLE two years new, this "un-sharp" at 1.4. at least as shot on the 24MP M10. 

Otherwise, and as others have commented, the few differences I do see between these two lens test comparison images are as expected. Again, thank you.

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Gobert said:

@LBJ2

may be we have never noticed. I never make such a heavy crop as been done with the toilet house.

Maybe, but the other FLE's crops posted here by Jono are not that unsharp...🤔 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Jono, thank you for this post and the real-world comparison samples. Something I've wanted to see since the APO was introduced . Nothing like comparing images side by side to really see how a lens performs. One nit on the toilet house images. Looks to me focus was missed on the FLE image? I don't think I've ever seen my FLE two years new, this "un-sharp" at 1.4. at least as shot on the 24MP M10. 

Otherwise, and as others have commented, the few differences I do see between these two lens test comparison images are as expected. Again, thank you.

20 hours ago, Gobert said:

@LBJ2

may be we have never noticed. I never make such a heavy crop as been done with the toilet house.

11 hours ago, Lelmer said:

Maybe, but the other FLE's crops posted here by Jono are not that unsharp...🤔 

Well, I might try and re-shoot that (poor house - it was a play house I built for the kids 30 years ago, nothing to do with toilets! (now a wood store underneath)). 2 things different from the other shots:

1. strong backlight causing aberrations (that's my personal opinion)

2. further away than the other images

I don't think I missed focus, because there ought to be something in focus- and it was shot on a tripod with the EVF so it shouldn't be.

All the best

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Well, I might try and re-shoot that (poor house - it was a play house I built for the kids 30 years ago, nothing to do with toilets! (now a wood store underneath)). 2 things different from the other shots:

1. strong backlight causing aberrations (that's my personal opinion)

2. further away than the other images

I don't think I missed focus, because there ought to be something in focus- and it was shot on a tripod with the EVF so it shouldn't be.

All the best

All that work you must have put into building that play house 30 years ago for some guy on the internet to calls it a toilet house ! Apologies 🥴

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

All that work you must have put into building that play house 30 years ago for some guy on the internet to calls it a toilet house ! Apologies 🥴

In think it is Me to blame

• Haha 1