New M10 monochrom Leitz Wetzlar edition for €6,500

James1975

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got an email from my local Leica store yesterday offering this. Brand new, boxed, sealed. It seems an incredible offer to me. Sadly I just bought Q2 Daniel Craig edition a few weeks ago which now I kind of regret (it will be tricky to sell I imagine). But that apart, I am struggling to think of a reason to not pull the trigger (it will be my first ever M!) 

Am I mistaken or is €6,500 a terrific deal for this beautiful camera? (I am really asking you all to give me permission to treat myself 😳)

And now the 35 or 50mm internal debate…

If you are sure you 1. Want an M and are prepared to learn how to use it (and be comfortable with 'basics' only) 2. Are sure you want a dedicated b&w only camera, then go for it. 

32 minutes ago, James1975 said:

And now the 35 or 50mm internal debate…

I would start with a 35 that will give you greater depth of field and a little more latitude to crop - for instance to straighten horizons.

3 hours ago, pedaes said:

If you are sure you 1. Want an M and are prepared to learn how to use it (and be comfortable with 'basics' only) 2. Are sure you want a dedicated b&w only camera, then go for it. 

I would start with a 35 that will give you greater depth of field and a little more latitude to crop - for instance to straighten horizons.

Thank you. Very prepared to learn and practise and refine. And, given my other cameras, very happy with B&W. I think it will be a great discipline and help me expand my creative horizons. And yes I was leaning to the 35, although given it will be a 50/50 split between street and portraits I am still not quite convinced yet. 

• Like 1

I am struggling to think of a reason to not pull the trigger (it will be my first ever M!) 

Am I mistaken or is €6,500 a terrific deal for this beautiful camera?

€1079 below retail price for a mint new in box Wetzlar M10 mono is a monumental deal.  If you have the cash available i would say jump on it and start out with a 35mm Summicron or Summilux as your first M lens.

M cameras are very different from DSLRs, but IMHO they are quite easy to learn.  My first rangefinder was a Hasselblad XPAN and I had no trouble learning to use it.  It's a given that the M camera rangefinder is much a more precise and refined RF device than the Fujifilm built XPAN's rangefinder. 

Edited by Herr Barnack

4 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

€1079 below retail price for a mint new in box Wetzlar M10 mono is a monumental deal.  If you have the cash available i would say jump on it and start out with a 35mm Summicron or Summilux as your first M lens.

M cameras are very different from DSLRs, but IMHO they are quite easy to learn.  My first rangefinder was a Hasselblad XPAN and I had no trouble learning to use it.  It's a given that the M camera rangefinder is much a more precise and refined RF device than the Fujifilm built XPAN's rangefinder. 

I make it around 1750 below retail - Berlin and Spain are 8350 and 8250 respectively. Not quite sure how they’re doing this rate but I agree. 
Is the 35 well suited to portraits in your experience? I mean if you were to buy one lens would it be the 35 instead of a 50 or even a 90?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's completely subjective, of course, and neither the 35 nor 50 is a bad option. Both can be made to work brilliantly for street shooting, so I don't think there's much to be said between the two on that front. 

To me it becomes a landscape vs portraiture debate. Outside of street - if you lean toward shooting landscapes, I would go down the 35 route. On the other hand, if you lean toward single-person shots, and particularly upper-body/headshots, then the 50mm route is easily best. 

From your last post it sounds like portraiture is your priority - 50mm would be the easy all-rounder choice to me in that instance.

Definitely would not be going any longer than that for a one lens set up.

Others will no doubt have different opinions. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, James1975 said:

I make it around 1750 below retail - Berlin and Spain are 8350 and 8250 respectively. Not quite sure how they’re doing this rate but I agree. 
Is the 35 well suited to portraits in your experience? I mean if you were to buy one lens would it be the 35 instead of a 50 or even a 90?

@James1975   Given the choices of 35mm, 50mm or 90mm for an M10 Monochrom, I would go with the 35mm.  With a 63° angle of view, it can be used for environmental style portraits and the 35mm covers a lot of other bases very well.  With a 35mm lens, you can get some distortion of facial features if you get too close to your portrait subject, so you have to keep that in mind.

The 50mm works better as a portrait lens, but I find its 47° angle of view to be too constricting - particularly when shooting in close quarters or indoors except for  very large rooms.  I have come to think of my 50mm as short telephoto for that reason.  Sometimes 50mm is the focal length I need, though.  It depends on the subject and the location.

Of the three focal lengths, the 90mm would be the best strictly for portraits; its 27° angle of view will allow you to get frame filling head shot type portraits without distortion and will give you a good bit of working distance from your subject, which will help them to be at ease.  The 90mm would not be a good choice as an all around, one lens one camera kit, though; the field of view is too narrow for optimal all-around applications IMHO.

Regarding lens selection for Leica M cameras, I have come to view the 28mm, 35mm and 50mm as the best choices for all-around shooting, with 24mm, 21mm, 18mm, 90mm and 135mm focal lengths being more specialized.  28mm and 50mm are my most often used focal lengths with 35mm coming in next. 

I have never had a 75mm Summicron M, but have always liked that lens.  It can be very useful as a portrait lens while not being as much of a niche lens as the 90mm Summicron that I own.  In my view, a great two lens kit would be a pair of Summicrons - a 35mm and a 75mm. 

For a one camera one lens kit, I would probably go for a 35mm lens, even though I seem to have usually gravitated to a 28mm more than a 35mm.  The 28mm requires you to get closer to your subject to fill the frame, but gives your images a more dynamic, more three dimensional look - to my eye.  The 35mm gives you a bit more working distance and produces images with a more relaxed look, for lack of a better term - again, to my eye, at least; others may see things differently.

Each focal length lens requires a different approach to shooting with that lens in order to maximize results.

Hope this will help in making your lens choice.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Thanks 2

In USD, that's about $1000 below retail. Definitely either buy it or tell the dealer I will be happy to take it off his hands. I've just purchased one but it seems UPS lost it en route from Leica NJ to the dealer.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took the plunge. My 1st day with it. In fact my first day shooting with a rangefinder. I have fallen completely in love. Luckily I have an understanding fiancée. On my way to Leica for a one on one class. I feel like I have finally found *my* camera. Thank you all for such helpful advice. And apologies for the compressed image. It's just a new feeling for me to see quite so many shades of black and white straight out of a camera...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pedaes said:

Congratulations. Lovely first photo.

Out of camera RAW files will benefit significantly from some processing.

You’re very tactful and kind. Yes. 100%. A very steep learning curve ahead. But reassuring to know I have the tools for the job… It’s an entirely new experience for me.