Oberwerth Half Case for Leica Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I have had the original Leica  grip for my Q2 for a while now but I fancy a half case primarily because I get a bit annoyed with having to take off the grip every time I want to change the battery or the card.  I have ordered the Lims half case - the brown version - but it hasn’t arrived yet.  I ordered it because it’s grip seems to resemble Leica’s handgrip which I very much like. Meanwhile, I have had my eye on the Oberwerth’s half case but aside from the price, the only reason I have hesitated is because of its grip which doesn’t seem very comfortable.  Otherwise I very much like it’s looks and choice of colours.

Has anyone got one the Oberwerth cases and if so how do you find the grip?  Is it comfortable and does offer good purchase on your grip?

I am assuming the fit and finish is first rate.

Thanks

1 hour ago, RM70 said:

Hi all,

I have had the original Leica  grip for my Q2 for a while now but I fancy a half case primarily because I get a bit annoyed with having to take off the grip every time I want to change the battery or the card.  I have ordered the Lims half case - the brown version - but it hasn’t arrived yet.  I ordered it because it’s grip seems to resemble Leica’s handgrip which I very much like. Meanwhile, I have had my eye on the Oberwerth’s half case but aside from the price, the only reason I have hesitated is because of its grip which doesn’t seem very comfortable.  Otherwise I very much like it’s looks and choice of colours.

Has anyone got one the Oberwerth cases and if so how do you find the grip?  Is it comfortable and does offer good purchase on your grip?

I am assuming the fit and finish is first rate.

Thanks

since i had the lims case for my cl and loved it, i never really considered the oberwerth model which i consider overpriced by at least 50% which is true of nearly all the leica products. as you likely know, the lims has access to the bottom ports without removal and included an arca plate. but the grip is the absolute best feature and few other cases include one. 

and yes i did try the leica grip first and it annoyed me much more than i thought to have to remove it each time. the one leica part i did find to be worthwhile was the thumb grip. i tried the very popular ?tech? model first and it buries the crop button in a hard to reach corner whereas the leica thumb grip extends it out to the surface of the grip--a night and day difference. 

oh, i got the lims shade as well. i dislike the 'pinched in' look of the leica shade.

/guy

Edited by gteague

I recently picked up an Oberwerth half case for my Q2, finding a surprising discount on Amazon. I bought the one with doors on the bottom for the SD card and battery.

I find the grip to be just right for me. I have smaller hands, so take that into account. I also find that the Hydro leather accentuates the grip, and the red stitching adds to the aesthetic appeal.

Hope this is helpful!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have the black hydro leather grip for my Q2 - like the grip just fine. To be honest I too own the Leica grip but found myself never using it for same reason (lack of access to SD card slot). 

So that is going up for sale - the grip on the Oberwerth is not as 'integral' if you see what I mean, but I love the feel of it.