Trade a Q for an M4 with lenses?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, i know this is not a very easy question to answer fro anyone since its so purely subjective. But just throwing it out there as sort of making my brainstorming for this situation a little easier ;)

I have been toying with the idea of maybe trading or selling my Q-P to finance or trade for a Leica M4 or M6. My thinking at first was to get an M6 with maybe one lens. Or the M4 in great condition with a kit of lenses or one very good leica lens.

First of all i shoot both film and digital. I shoot with some Nikon bodies already on film and the same with digital. And then i have the Leica Q-P which i like a lot. So the only reason id sell the Q-P would be to get another Leica, and its at the moment my only way of financing the better Leica M bodies so im just thinking about that now and going back and forth over the pros and cons.

I have an offer for a black repainted M4 with Three lenses. The Minolta 28 f2,8, the 35 ultra voigtländer f1,7 and the Nikkor 50 f2,0. Any thoughts and ideas about such a trade and what to look out for?

Sol.

Well, if the black paint M4 is in good condition it would sell for $4000.  I suspect (and this is just a guess) that the lenses are worth under $500 each but take that lens value as a guess.  I bought a black chrome 50th anniversary M4 in October in mint condition for $3000.  It looks like it is right out of the box and does not have a mark on it.  I would love to get a black paint model but it would have to be in mint condition as I would want to apply the wear myself.

I like M cameras over just about anything else made and it does not matter if they are digital or film.  Good luck with your choice.

• Like 1

If the M4 is a repaint, and not original, keep looking.  Furthermore, a Leica body deserves Leica lenses, IMHO.  
I would trade Nikon on a film Leica, but not a Q-P (if I had either …. ).

A good M4 is worth pursuing. Condition is everything. Most prefer originality, too. It’s entirely your choice..  Good luck!

• Like 1

The M4 is my second favorite M camera. If the repaint is good quality, it should wear nicely. But, beware of the quickie paint job, not done correctly. Many of the top quality repaint people also do a CLA on the camera, because to do the paint properly requires the camera be stripped down.

Those lenses are all good ones. Be aware that the M4 does not have 28mm framelines, and that can bother some people. The entire viewfinder is approximately a 28mm view. 
Also, don’t get too hung up on “Leica camera must have Leica lenses” - all three of those lenses you listed will make fine images, as long as they function properly and have clean and clear glass. And, not every lenses Leica has produced over the years is “special”. They made some clunkers, too. You just end up paying more for the Leica Clunkers. 

Mostly, just be sure you are prepared for the film “world”. Digital is so easy, and the results so good. Film requires a bit of work and can be frustrating at times. But, when you get it right, it’s worth the effort. 

• Like 2

I wouldn’t hesitate to get a black repaint if it was done by a reputable shop like camera works.  I wouldn’t pay a premium over a chrome model.  I certainly wouldn't pay the multi thousand premium for an original black paint model unless you are a collector.

Leica M lenses are just ridiculously priced now, I don’t think they are worth the 4-5x premium over the excellent Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Its a repaint done ny camera works and i believe it was served there then also. I can post some photos here and you can see what you think. It seems to wear in a good way but im no expert so cant really see a big difference :) otherwise he switched the rewinder tp a M-P one i think but i could have both he said.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

Looks very nice, but you haven’t mentioned the price.  I did not think MP/M3 style rewind knobs were interchangeable with the slanted M4/M6 type, due to the need for a different shaped top plate.  The latter has an angled interface where the rewind knob mounts.

If the last service was done at the time of the repaint, it could be many years ago.  I would factor the cost of a new service into the decision.

9 hours ago, andrew01 said:

Looks very nice, but you haven’t mentioned the price.  I did not think MP/M3 style rewind knobs were interchangeable with the slanted M4/M6 type, due to the need for a different shaped top plate.  The latter has an angled interface where the rewind knob mounts.

If the last service was done at the time of the repaint, it could be many years ago.  I would factor the cost of a new service into the decision.

The price is with those 4 lenses as a trade with my Q-P which i guess would sell for around 3000 EU. I know the price is not really adding up even counting all those lenses plus the M4, but depending on how i think everything looks today when i go there to look at everything, i would consider it if it was good and felt great :)

he changed the rewinder not that long ago and also did a service from what i heard, but asking today again about it.

Also about the rewinder, im not sure but he said he has the old one as well if i want to change. But i guess he liked that M-P one better and changed it.

He said price for M4 alone if i was buying only that around 1400 EU.

Edit: he said it was done in November the service or right before that.

Edited by solamnus

Contact Cameraworks UK and ask them to confirm they did the repaint and CLA. You have the serial number.  Personally I would expect a better finish without contamination. Worth checking.

If you are satisfied, I would buy the body only, and then select a Leica lens you want, and buy that.

3 hours ago, Mute-on said:

Contact Cameraworks UK and ask them to confirm they did the repaint and CLA. You have the serial number.  Personally I would expect a better finish without contamination. Worth checking.

If you are satisfied, I would buy the body only, and then select a Leica lens you want, and buy that.

That was actually a good idea, i was there at his place today though and actually bought it in the end, so far im very pleased with everything . Felt lovely to handle and everything felt right with it as far as i could see :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Funny it has a non M4 wind lever. You either liked the M4 wind or not. I had an M4 lever on an M2 and found it a little easier to pull away from the body with my big fingers. But a nice looking camera.

Thank you :) Hehe yeh. I actually have not tried the original but have both if i wanted to change again. I kind of prefer the look of this one though :)

• Like 1

Photographers seem to go nuts on the film advance levers available on the M film cameras:  M3 style vs M4 style.  Personally, it has never made a bit of difference to me as long as the advance and shutter release are nice and smooth.  I own an M2 and an M4 so one of each.  They are certainly better and faster than my 3f.  If I close my eyes and play with each camera, I cannot tell a difference.  Nice thing is they are interchangeable.

• Like 1