M10 baseplate

Oswalt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have a new M10, and I’ve noticed after securing the baseplate I can push it up towards the camera a hair or two, it doesn’t also lock down to the camera solidly. I don’t think it’s a problem, but I’m curious if anyone else has similar behaviour. 

Thanks. 

The locking mechanism is very simple and fully exposed, so you can see that if the revolving piece of metal sheet is bent ever so slightly there will be some little play. I suspect this may increase over time due to wear. However, the movement should be very small and I don't think you should be able to actually see a gap between the baseplate and the body. On my three year old M10 I can only feel an extremely small movement of the baseplate at the end where the locking mechanism is, not anywhere else. Of course, not even a bigger movement would be any problem, unless the locking mechanism would get so loose that there is a risk of the baseplate dropping off.

• Thanks 1

I have not had any problems with mine. However, I use a half-case that would mask any problem.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

20 minutes ago, Narsuitus said:

I have not had any problems with mine. However, I use a half-case that would mask any problem.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's as about as useful a suggestion as using Gaffer tape.

• Haha 1

Thank you for the replies.

Mine definitely moves a little bit, either up and down (makes a very small but unnoticeable click if pushed upwards towards the covering) or side to to side depending on how I lock it down. I’ve not been quite able to wrap my head around how the locking mechanism works. I believe it’s a pressure plate, but I’m not clear how it attaches to the bottom of the camera - from a engineering perspective.    

Also considering there’s quite a thick rubber gasket that lines the bottom interior of the baseplate, it does make sense that it would move a tiny amount once it’s secured to the camera. Since the gasket is being compressed to one degree or another.

Either way the camera is new, and the baseplate moves a very insignificant amount so it’s unlikely Leica would see this as a defect and assist me  

Thanks  

Edited by Oswalt