Seems Like A Shortage Of The CL + 18mm "Starter Kit".

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been looking at USA websites for the CL starter kit. It seems to be back ordered in silver and black at several sites. The main Leica USA website seems to have them but many of the other dealers don't have stock. I like the bigger retailers as they have more flexible return options if the 18mm is not for me. I'm wondering if there is just a general shortage or, as others have speculated, maybe this is a prelude to a CL replacement. I guess time will tell.

My guess is that it does relate to the new CL2, but we will need to see (as you suggest).  I have two CL’s, one normal and one IR converted.  I must say that I do love the CL, so I may or may not go after a Cl2 (at least right away).  For color I use the CL more than my M10 and SL, for B&W use the M10M.   You might be able to get a very good deal on a used CL soon, so maybe the lack of a new kit is a good thing.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From a practical standpoint it’s unlikely that Leica will launch a CL replacement before late September/early October. This gap will allow them a summer clear out of current CL bodies, before new stock comes in. Maybe we will see one final “Summer of CL” kit with the 18mm and a different strap.

Leica CL starter kit with Elmarit-TL 18mm is no longer sold by Leica stores in France. 
you can buy the remaining stock in other official resellers. 
Or just choose the better CL Vario kit with Vario-Elmar-TL 18-56mm. 
I guess that CL2 is close. 

Edited by nicci78

1 hour ago, lct said:

Plus the M11 in November? I envy your optimism.

The silliness of launching the M11 on 11/11 is never going to happen: it’s the Armistice Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day. No one is going to be stupid enough to launch on that day.

The chances are that if Leica launch anything at all they would launch a replacement for the CL as it’s easier to replace only one variant. The M10 has so many variants you might as well keep them going for a while longer through to Spring ‘22.

Edited by Le Chef

8 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

The silliness of launching the M11 on 11/11 is never going to happen: it’s the Armistice Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day. No one is going to be stupid enough to launch on that day.

25 Nov. then? :D

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

The M10 has so many variants you might as well keep them going for a while longer through to Spring ‘22.

This is true.

When Leica releases the M10 Gerhard Richter Special Edition (black paint squeegeed over silver chrome), then we’ll know the M11 is close at hand. 

• Like 1

Leica Store Miami has the Paul Smith CL and 18mm lens kit available. I wish I had bought one rather than the plain one that I did.  They have a decent return policy, but I doubt you would want to return it. You will love it. 

LeicaStoreMiami.com

Leica CL 'Edition Paul Smith' 

$3,395

Edited by GFW2-SCUSA
  • Like 1