M-APO35/2 long review

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve had the lens for many weeks, and wrote an extensive review. I wasn’t going to push this out, but what’s the point of putting in the effort if it’s not going to be read and provide a point of view to whoever may be interested: 

https://www.harisubramanyam.com/reviews/LeicaM-APO35/2

Edited by TheGodParticle/Hari
Disclaimer: I am an official Beta Tester for Leica, but all opinions are my own and free of any influence.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

The best analysis of the lens I’ve read thus far, including Reid and Jono (I had no patience for the youtube talkshow, so I don’t know about them).

Edited by otto.f

1 hour ago, otto.f said:

The best analysis of the lens I’ve read thus far, including Reid and Jono (I had no patience for the youtube talkshow, so I don’t know about them).

Thank you very much, these two names are benchmarks for reviews.

Quite similar to you, my extensive Hollywoodesque YouTube mega million Dogecoin studio production efforts can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApr8D0v8u2Hs2lM7qdO9gw

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/16/2021 at 12:51 PM, Gelatino said:

Did you return the lens to Germany because you had it only to test it, or because you found something not perfect that should be modified?

They sent it to me for a long period of time, so I could write a detailed review. But of course I had to send it back.

Would’ve been nice to keep it as a gift but it doesn’t work that way 😁

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

@carlosmcse

Why you are ONLY talking about price ?

$4,000 (as here) or $8,000 ... $200,000 better, we are adult enough to choose, no ?

I have nothing against Voigtlander (I use some) or Zeiss or Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.

I don't see why you choose M10-P which is many thousands more than other nice cameras which are 'better featured'.

But I'm happy that we can have choices 👍.

Please note that in some countries, we DON'T have choice(s).

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, carlosmcse said:

@Kl@usW.

Thats why I said let HIM say it for all you Leica fanboys who think this lens is $8,000 better than the Voigtlander. 

Is the lunch you ate today really worth each penny? What about your pants you’re wearing, are they worth every dollar? Your wife, is she really the person you think she is? Your mother? Does she love you exactly the same as your siblings? If not, will you sue her?

Let’s get real here: the Leica game is not for everyone. If you’re counting your pennies, please change hobbies. There’s a more appropriate hobby for you. I’m sure.

6 minutes ago, carlosmcse said:

Absolutely. Huge chunks of salmon belly. Only costs about $7 in Thailand for 6 (which you have to cut in half to eat). So this photo costs about $14. In the US it would be sickening how much they would charge for the same thing. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I wouldn’t pay more than 1$ for your meal. 

What does this tell you? 

8 minutes ago, carlosmcse said:

This is what happens in fanboy forums. People take everything personally.

An attack on the brand is an attack on me personally. 

ive said many times you buy whatever you want to buy. But it’s a fact that the APO Voigtlander gives you basically the same as the Leica. And what hurts is the Leica is $8,000 more and nobody can tell me exactly why… now we are off talking about salmon. 

just tell me why it’s $8,000 more. Someone said it’s because Is a few millimeters smaller than the Voigtlander and that’s worth $8,000 to him. Okay. Anyone else?

The immature boy is definitely you, if I am to judge your comments.

36 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Can you order Apo-Summicron-M 2/35mm right now, in Thailand ?

you might be surprised at the stock leica thailand/singapore/korea/HK/Malaysia and japan have................

and with the exception of korea & japan, the others have many cool deals

1 minute ago, carlosmcse said:

I can get anything here. If they don’t have in stock they can order for me. 

I could either go to any of the major camera stored which are Leica dealers. My store is both a Leica and the only Voigtlander distributor in Thailand so they can get anything for me. 

or I can just go to the official leica store at Gaysorn Village in Bangkok. which is where I’m going today to visit. I’ll have them clean the sensor while I’m there. It’s a gallery, store, and where Leica holds their events. 

yes i know

i lived and worked in Thailand for many years

my reply was for someone else. [a noctilux]

Edited by frame-it
  • Haha 1

I'll play along:

Voigtlander's 35mm APO minimum focus distance is 50 cm.  Leica's is 30 cm.  To some, this is worth the premium.

How about this as an answer.  They are charging $8K because they CAN.  They have buyers at that price.  For others who cannot see the value, they can buy the alternatives.  Like someone else posted, if Voigtlander's and Leica's both were the same price, which would you choose now?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, carlosmcse said:

I can definitely tell you why the Leica M is the price of a GFX. It’s because nobody else makes a brass digital mechanical rangefinder entirely made in Germany by Germans.  It’s not yet another full frame plastic and magnesium Sony Fuji Canon Nikon mirrorless camera made in bulk by slave labor in China. Or in the case of the Fuji and the GFX, made with recycled parts from other manufacturers. 

The Leica M rangefinder is its own island. So Leica charges $8,000 for a new M body. Okay. And you can get it used for the price of a Sony. Not bad. 

but I am talking about lenses. Unfortunately Leica isn’t the only company making a 35/50 APO. Cosina makes them too. In house. All of it. Every component. They’re beautifully made lenses and put head to head with the Leica the differences are academic at 800%. Edited the same in terms of every day use nobody can tell the difference. 

so why is the Leica $8,000 more. I expect a premium from the Leica. It is a Leica after all. Labor costs are much higher in Germany. Granted. It does give you marginally better IQ. Okay. Whatever. It’s also a few millimeters smaller. Good. But does that equate to an $8,000 difference in price? Jesus Christ. 

Leica cameras and lenses are made in Portugal. The final assembly is completed in Germany so that they qualify for the "made in Germany"  label per EU rules.

http://www.fdtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/80FDTimes-LEICA-PortugalFactoryTour.pdf

• Like 1

Of ALL the Leica classics (and that includes discussions, gear, HCB, Magnum, street photography, and so on), there is the Calssic Number one. The most classic of them all, the most Leica things of all Leica things, and that is... simply the new guy coming in and telling everyone that Voigtlander is equal or better, and cheaper.

We’ve seen it all, hundreds of times. It’s not even funny anymore. Like, can those guys move on?

Edited by Capuccino-Muffin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, carlosmcse said:

Now the next stage is ad-hominem attacks. Still no answer. Who said anything about immature? Who said that word?

ive attacked no one. I simply stated the fact of the internet and brand loyalty. Try a Fuji forum. 

anyway. Any answer? I guess not. Still nobody can tell me why the Leica APO is $8,000 more other than it has Leica written on it. 

Here’s an idea. Since we can’t tell you why the Leica costs 8000 more than the Voigtlander, why don’t you tell us why you think it should not, other than just repeating: “It gives you the same output”

As I’ve said, the 2cm less for an item that I will carry with me everywhere all my life is worth the 8k to me. And then, the fact that it’s a nicer object also matter. Some people like to pay more for a black paint body that can do the same as an old black chrome body, because some of us value artful crafting. It feels good To see, to use, and it’s more inspiring. That’s it. You said people have choices. Let them chose without judging. Get the voigtlander, and let others get the Leica. 

You complain about fan boys reactions. But if it really bother you, why do you come on fanboy forums to troll them in the first place ? Strange psychology. 

• Like 3