Leica Q2 or Q2M?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone, i have M10monochrome nad sl2. 
i need one camera for travel and... 

I use all my photos in black and white.  I have an offer to buy q2 at a good price.  But I want to know what the difference is between q2 in black and white and q2m.  Which one do you suggest?

Thanks 
kamyar

If you lean toward making color images, get the Q2.  If you lean toward making B&W images, get the Q2 Monochrom.  The choice comes down to how like to shoot the most.

You have the SL2 for color and the M10 Monochrom for B&W already.  Either version of the Q2 will be an outstanding lightweight everyday carry camera and will serve as a capable second camera to either your SL2 or M10m.  A bonus feature is that you will also have the macro capable 28mm Summilux f/1.7 ASPH that comes with the Q2 series.  This is an outstanding lens and is a great addition to any Leica kit.

I have an M4-P, M-P 240, Q2 and M10 Mono.  The M10 Mono has drawn me away from my color cameras and makes me want to add an M10 Mono to my kit.

JMHO but I don't think you can go wrong with the Q2, whether you get the color or Mono version - and my first love is the M system.  The Q2 is said to be Leica's best selling camera ever, and for good reason.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

If you lean toward making color images, get the Q2.  If you lean toward making B&W images, get the Q2 Monochrom.  The choice comes down to how like to shoot the most.

You have the SL2 for color and the M10 Monochrom for B&W already.  Either version of the Q2 will be an outstanding lightweight everyday carry camera and will serve as a capable second camera to either your SL2 or M10m.  A bonus feature is that you will also have the macro capable 28mm Summilux f/1.7 ASPH that comes with the Q2 series.  This is an outstanding lens and is a great addition to any Leica kit.

I have an M4-P, M-P 240, Q2 and M10 Mono.  The M10 Mono has drawn me away from my color cameras and makes me want to add an M10 Mono to my kit.

JMHO but I don't think you can go wrong with the Q2, whether you get the color or Mono version - and my first love is the M system.  The Q2 is said to be Leica's best selling camera ever, and for good reason.

Thanks .

Yes . M is different. M10monochrom more different. I have 28 lux and use with sl2 and m10m. What do you think is the difference between q2 and q2m in black and white?

I "only" have the Q2, not the Q2M but my understanding is that of the two, the Q2M has a better dynamic range, better low light performance but also ISO to 100k. All due to the lack of colour processing needed. Not to say that I am unhappy with the B&W on the Q2 but if I was a B&W shooter and had another colour camera, I would go Q2M

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kamyar said:

Thanks .

Yes . M is different. M10monochrom more different. I have 28 lux and use with sl2 and m10m. What do you think is the difference between q2 and q2m in black and white?

I own a Q2 and SL2, as well as an MP. Very much would love to have an M10M. Q2 is the camera I take with me no matter where I'm going, especially to places where I wouldn't want to bring the SL2 due to size or concern about what might happen to my 50 Lux-M (which is what I shoot on my SL2), or the MP for the same reason (or because I plan to shoot a lot or in low light). It's just outstanding as a take-everywhere camera. Though I think the Q2M is amazing, if I were going to get a Monochrom camera, it'd be the M, because I'd want to shoot other lenses on the Monochrom sensor. For travel do you wish you had a "lite" version of your M10M or your SL2? 

Regarding B&W conversion, the Q2 is close enough at lower ISO, and it's not even close (in favor of the Q2M) at high ISO. There's not much to say about the dynamic range, importance of not blowing out highlights etc. that you don't already know from shooting your M10M. The Q2M is going to do all of that better than the Q2 by a similar margin to how much better your M10M does all that compared to your SL2. 

Get them both! Although if you do that, you might just be leaving the SL2 and M10M at home..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marc B-C said:

I "only" have the Q2, not the Q2M but my understanding is that of the two, the Q2M has a better dynamic range, better low light performance but also ISO to 100k. All due to the lack of colour processing needed. Not to say that I am unhappy with the B&W on the Q2 but if I was a B&W shooter and had another colour camera, I would go Q2M

Thanks marc. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, leicameech said:

I own a Q2 and SL2, as well as an MP. Very much would love to have an M10M. Q2 is the camera I take with me no matter where I'm going, especially to places where I wouldn't want to bring the SL2 due to size or concern about what might happen to my 50 Lux-M (which is what I shoot on my SL2), or the MP for the same reason (or because I plan to shoot a lot or in low light). It's just outstanding as a take-everywhere camera. Though I think the Q2M is amazing, if I were going to get a Monochrom camera, it'd be the M, because I'd want to shoot other lenses on the Monochrom sensor. For travel do you wish you had a "lite" version of your M10M or your SL2? 

Regarding B&W conversion, the Q2 is close enough at lower ISO, and it's not even close (in favor of the Q2M) at high ISO. There's not much to say about the dynamic range, importance of not blowing out highlights etc. that you don't already know from shooting your M10M. The Q2M is going to do all of that better than the Q2 by a similar margin to how much better your M10M does all that compared to your SL2. 

Get them both! Although if you do that, you might just be leaving the SL2 and M10M at home..

Thanks. I'm b&w shooter. I use sl2 only in bad weather. I need just one camera for travel. I have many amazing lens for m10m ( 28 lux, 35mm corn, 50 apo ,and.. ) If the store offers a good offer, I will definitely go to q2m.

1 minute ago, Kamyar said:

Thanks. I'm b&w shooter. I use sl2 only in bad weather. I need just one camera for travel. I have many amazing lens for m10m ( 28 lux, 35mm corn, 50 apo ,and.. ) If the store offers a good offer, I will definitely go to q2m.

In that case, Q2M is a no-brainer. It's incredible. 

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 6:04 PM, Kamyar said:

Hey everyone, i have M10monochrome nad sl2. 
i need one camera for travel and... 

I use all my photos in black and white.  I have an offer to buy q2 at a good price.  But I want to know what the difference is between q2 in black and white and q2m.  Which one do you suggest?

Thanks 
kamyar

If you only shoot B&W already, then the answer is obvious. For me, less so, as not every image suits B&W, and therefore I would be missing out on shots that would suit colour more. Each to their own and good luck.

As an aside, if I present a colour image and the same image in B&W and ask 'non-photographers' to select their preferred, they almost always select the colour version. Just my observation

Edited by Chris_H
  • Like 3

Interesting the question is posted during the spring season. The loss of details and sensitivity of Q2 compared to Q2M, with 47MP, are perfectly acceptable trade off for color and possible post color filter for BW pictures. So at least for me, I do not think the better IQ is the main reason for Q2M.  The benefit of monochrome camera, at least to me, is about the limitation that encourages creativity and different picture taking approach.  I love shooting BW and have a 246, but for travel color is often needed.  Used as the only camera for travel, I cannot imagine missing the color shots: flower, animals, food, etc.  I guess we can always use our smartphone to take color photos as a backup. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/23/2021 at 7:22 AM, vedivv said:

Interesting the question is posted during the spring season. The loss of details and sensitivity of Q2 compared to Q2M, with 47MP, are perfectly acceptable trade off for color and possible post color filter for BW pictures. So at least for me, I do not think the better IQ is the main reason for Q2M.  The benefit of monochrome camera, at least to me, is about the limitation that encourages creativity and different picture taking approach.  I love shooting BW and have a 246, but for travel color is often needed.  Used as the only camera for travel, I cannot imagine missing the color shots: flower, animals, food, etc.  I guess we can always use our smartphone to take color photos as a backup. 

As much as I love newly acquired Q2 M I would agree that for travel unless one is a 100% B&W shooter relying solely on Q2 M one is likely to miss having a color camera. 

That said there are options that would allow traveling with Q2 M while not missing out on color.

One option is to couple the Q2 M with small compact camera like the Fuji X100V. The Fuji has good IQ, an articulating screen and is very affordable ( particularly by Leica standards) The Fuji is so compact (450g) that both both cameras will fit in small Q2 bags like the Oberwerth Q2 bag or equivalent.

Alternately a Leica CL with 18mm pancake lens would work in a similar very compact setup.

These suggested two camera setups are probably only worth it if one is intending to shoot 50% or more in Black and White. Otherwise Q2 alone would seem like the more sensible option.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by NicholasT
  • Like 3

Not sure if there is still interest in this topic but to further illustrate the point about traveling with Q2M and another compact color camera (like Fuji X100V) below are photos of the ONA Bond Street bag with both cameras in the bag.

As you review these images keep in mind:

1. The Bond Street is an extremely compact travel bag. Its the smallest that ONA makes and in canvas/leather its quite lightweight and affordable

2. Q2 M has larger lens hood installed which allows for quick change of filters

3. Fuji has extra lens cover to provide full weather protection

4. Both cameras have wrist straps installed

5. In front pocket there are 4 B&W 49mm filters

In spite of all of the above, there is still plenty of room left above the cameras should one need to put other small lightweight items on top of the cameras.

Quality dual camera travel setups don't get any more compact that this...

• Like 3

On 5/26/2021 at 7:53 AM, NicholasT said:

One option is to couple the Q2 M with small compact camera like the Fuji X100V. The Fuji has good IQ, an articulating screen and is very affordable ( particularly by Leica standards) The Fuji is so compact (450g) that both both cameras will fit in small Q2 bags like the Oberwerth Q2 bag or equivalent.

I currently have a Fuji X100F that I plan to take along with my Q2M when traveling.  I think that is a great option, as the Fuji X100 series is awesome for the price and allows you to take excellent travel and landscape images.  I have used my Fuji exclusively on recent trips, and I am now looking forward to adding my Q2M to my travel kit.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 7:37 AM, NicholasT said:

Not sure if there is still interest in this topic but to further illustrate the point about traveling with Q2M and another compact color camera (like Fuji X100V) below are photos of the ONA Bond Street bag with both cameras in the bag.

As you review these images keep in mind:

1. The Bond Street is an extremely compact travel bag. Its the smallest that ONA makes and in canvas/leather its quite lightweight and affordable

2. Q2 M has larger lens hood installed which allows for quick change of filters

3. Fuji has extra lens cover to provide full weather protection

4. Both cameras have wrist straps installed

5. In front pocket there are 4 B&W 49mm filters

In spite of all of the above, there is still plenty of room left above the cameras should one need to put other small lightweight items on top of the cameras.

Quality dual camera travel setups don't get any more compact that this...

That is a very interesting setup and a great bag for it!

From the photo, I am guessing you could not get away with using that bag with a Q2 and Q2M, either with the regular lens hoods or without the lens hoods?

On 5/15/2021 at 1:34 PM, Kamyar said:

Thanks .

I have seen black and white conversions made from Q2 files and they look pretty decent, particularly when the image is a high contrast scene.  Q2 black and white conversions will not have as much detail in the shadows as the same image made with a Q2M would, though.  With the Q2, you can get away with shooting fairly low light scenes and converting to B&W. 

For night photography and extremely low light shooting, the Q2M is the clear winner.  The 28mm Summilux f/1.7 lens, 47.3 megapixel sensor with ISO 100,000 capability and clean files up to ISO 25,000 are compelling arguments for the Q2 Mono.

The following video will shed some light on the Q2 Monochrom and its strengths:

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 8:07 AM, Herr Barnack said:

I have seen black and white conversions made from Q2 files and they look pretty decent, particularly when the image is a high contrast scene.  Q2 black and white conversions will not have as much detail in the shadows as the same image made with a Q2M would, though.  With the Q2, you can get away with shooting fairly low light scenes and converting to B&W. 

For night photography and extremely low light shooting, the Q2M is the clear winner.  The 28mm Summilux f/1.7 lens, 47.3 megapixel sensor with ISO 100,000 capability and clean files up to ISO 25,000 are compelling arguments for the Q2 Mono.

The following video will shed some light on the Q2 Monochrom and its strengths:

Thanks