Leica M6 Classic 'Vanni Calanca'

This is a camera that was  personalized by Leica for Vanni Valanca, a photographer and founder of Gruppo Fotografico Leica. This can be found on Google.  Maybe of some historical interest for some, but take note that Leica has done hundreds of such personalisations and will still do so on request (and payment ;) ).

I have three personalized for me.

57 minutes ago, jaapv said:

This is a camera that was  personalized by Leica for Vanni Valanca, a photographer and founder of Gruppo Fotografico Leica. This can be found on Google.  Maybe of some historical interest for some, but take note that Leica has done hundreds of such personalisations and will still do so on request (and payment ;) ).

I have three personalized for me.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Do you know any further historical story regarding on this camera ? We want to know more about the story behind it.

We have found this m6 (same serial number) was on an auction hosted by Leitz Photographica Auction in Nov 2020.

According to http://vannicalanca.com, this is a confidential camera and it cannot be sold. So how would it be able to participate in such an auction?

That is not unusual with Leica. When I had my Monochrom1 personalized and releathered, Leica did not want to be overrun by requests as the camera was new on the market and they needed the production capacity. Still, they agreed to do so for a gentleman in the Emirates and for me, provided we signed an NDA. A bit silly, how do you not disclose an engraving and different leather whenever you take the camera out of the bag? However, such NDAs become moot after a few years.

24 minutes ago, jaapv said:

That is not unusual with Leica. When I had my Monochrom1 personalized and releathered, Leica did not want to be overrun by requests as the camera was new on the market and they needed the production capacity. Still, they agreed to do so for a gentleman in the Emirates and for me, provided we signed an NDA. A bit silly, how do you not disclose an engraving and different leather whenever you take the camera out of the bag? However, such NDAs become moot after a few years.

well, now i understand how it works. Thanks for answering my question. It seems that if i pay enough, they would custom made a camera for me either. Even with the latest model.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M6 :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

My M9

• Like 1

My Monochrom, which has the nicest engraving, is in hospital in Wetzlar right now ;)

Leica has been doing this always.: