2 hours ago, jaapv said:

I would be very surprised if it were not possible to set the viewfinder of the Q2 to B&W. 

It’s dead simple to set the EVF of the Q2 to show B&W. When I borrowed a Q2 I set it to RAW only and then set the EVF to show B&W. If it’s not on the first menu page then it’s on the second.

2 hours ago, kmonroe99 said:

So, did you ever decide between the 2  models?  I'm trying to make the same decision myself.  It seems for me,  the biggest advantage would be the B&W view finder with the Monochrom.

The Q2 viewfinder can be set to Monochrom all the time. The biggest advantage of the Q2M will be the things that make it inherently different in the first place -- way better at high ISO (a very noticeable, really-makes-a-big-difference-in-low-light amount), better dynamic range, richer gradation, simply put -- more shades of grey than a color camera can get, and therefore more information you can pull out of your files, even if you captured images in conditions where you'd be forced to have inferior image quality with a color-sensor-equipped camera. 

Something about changing your mindset, however, and knowing that black and white is all it's ever going to be...that's cool. Of course, you could shoot some film :) 

If you like to shoot in color but would like the option of seeing in black and white via the viewfinder, the Q2 does that. 

5 hours ago, Le Chef said:

It’s dead simple to set the EVF of the Q2 to show B&W. When I borrowed a Q2 I set it to RAW only and then set the EVF to show B&W. If it’s not on the first menu page then it’s on the second.

Like any other EVF Leica ;) 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Le Chef said:

FWIW, b&w live view and images on the Q2M EVF/LCD are much more pleasing than on the Q2 or M10-R in b&w JPEG modes. Much nicer.

Edited by hdmesa
On 8/3/2021 at 8:13 PM, leicameech said:

The Q2 viewfinder can be set to Monochrom all the time. The biggest advantage of the Q2M will be the things that make it inherently different in the first place -- way better at high ISO (a very noticeable, really-makes-a-big-difference-in-low-light amount), better dynamic range, richer gradation, simply put -- more shades of grey than a color camera can get, and therefore more information you can pull out of your files, even if you captured images in conditions where you'd be forced to have inferior image quality with a color-sensor-equipped camera. 

Something about changing your mindset, however, and knowing that black and white is all it's ever going to be...that's cool. Of course, you could shoot some film :) 

If you like to shoot in color but would like the option of seeing in black and white via the viewfinder, the Q2 does that. 

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

FWIW, b&w live view and images on the Q2M EVF/LCD are much more pleasing than on the Q2 or M10-R in b&w JPEG modes. Much nicer.

So can some Fuji cameras and even Olympus - the Pen F actually does shot in monochrome raw and jpeg, but tonality it's  not the same and I can always switch to color or keep  the cc raw in color . With the Q2M there is no workaround or switch later - it's  b&w and has to work or you don't  have a shot to keep.

Yes, it's  a strong  commitment,  not for everyone - it's  great to have choices.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, nwphil said:

So can some Fuji cameras and even Olympus - the Pen F actually does shot in monochrome raw and jpeg, but tonality it's  not the same and I can always switch to color or keep  the cc raw in color . With the Q2M there is no workaround or switch later - it's  b&w and has to work or you don't  have a shot to keep.

Yes, it's  a strong  commitment,  not for everyone - it's  great to have choices.

Fujifilm and Canon's monochrome JPEGs/in-camera b&w previews are pretty flexible as you can use any number of styles such as red-filtered, etc.

• 1 month later...

I am about 6 weeks late joining this conversation, but will add my 2 cents today as I am comparing the Q2 vs Q2 Monochrom. After much consideration and research I am leaning towards the Q2 vs the Q2M due to the ability to adjust B+W photos via color channels rather than attaching colored filters to the the Q2M. Additionally the color channels add more flexibility to adjusting the B+W tones than a colored filter. For the few times I ultimately want a final product in color that is there as well.

2 hours ago, ejg1890 said:

I am about 6 weeks late joining this conversation, but will add my 2 cents today as I am comparing the Q2 vs Q2 Monochrom. After much consideration and research I am leaning towards the Q2 vs the Q2M due to the ability to adjust B+W photos via color channels rather than attaching colored filters to the the Q2M. Additionally the color channels add more flexibility to adjusting the B+W tones than a colored filter. For the few times I ultimately want a final product in color that is there as well.

As a current Q2M owner who also owned a Q-P and an M10-P before buying the Q2M, let me summarize the mental gymnastics and my conclusions re: Q2 vs Q2M.

If you need color, even if it's only one image out of 1000's, the Q2 is always going to be the better choice.

If you need black and white only, the Q2M is always the the better choice.

Both cameras have been designed to provide optimum results in their respective classes - color versus black and white.  Trying to make one perform as well as the other is either a compromise (e.g. post-processing color into monochrom) or impossible (e.g. cannot convert monochrom into color).

Anyone trying to do it all with one camera isn't being realistic with either his/her needs or expectations.  In conclusion, you cannot compare a Q2 against a Q2M because they aren't designed to create the same end result.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 6:12 PM, trickness said:

The DNG files straight out of the Q2M are crazy -

Yeah it’s amazing. I’m getting beautiful nighttime street shots straight out of cameras at 25000 iso at f8. Amazing tones and contrast. 

i have noticed I have to stop under by 1 stop during the day on low iso and at night on high ISO I’m best shooting at the correct exposure and the files sing for themselves. 

Q2M is a  perfect match for my SL2 and M10D. 

I found this YouTube very helpful.  I don't own a Q2 or Q2M but I love my Monochrom (M9) files.  Most of my work is B&W, and although I get great B&W conversions from my Sony A7RIII, my heart is mostly in B&W photography, hence I will probably be adding the Q2M to my kit.

I have had the original MM and later the M246.

In both cases I first loved it and the b&w experience, but in the end after sometimes I always started to use the color cameras again, and then finally carried the b&w camera less and less.

Therefore for me its the color version, which also allows to "simulate" color filters later when converting the images and therefore gives more flexibility even for b&w.

I dont need ISO higher than 6400. 

A significant advantage of the Q2M is the ability to bracket exposure in a single press of the shutter.

I find that many shots would have been blown that now are recovered by using the lowest exposure ... and recovering in post.

With my MM and M246 I had the disappointment of discovering blown highlights when nothing in the meter or histogram predicted their

occurrence .... other times the longer exposure allowed a more subtle capture of midtones for post.

No difference from the Q2 but a distinct advantage for the Q2M over the M monos for me as bracketing with them seemed less immediate.

Edited by docmoore