Wish List for a long telephoto lens

Bernd-B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unfortunately, we do not have a long telephoto lens available in L-Mount so far. I am not talking about the Sigma Sports lenses (4/500, 150-600,...) as combined with the L-Mount adapter, AF-C won't work. I am looking for a real L-Mount lens providing all features required for wildlife photography. The longest lens so far is the Sigma 5-6.3/100-400 which can be combined with an extender. That combination does not provide the open aperture for dawn or dusk wildlife photography.

What would be the perfect long telephoto lens?

My best wish would be the combination of:

Leica SL 2.8-4/90-280 for its outstanding quality and the fixed length (https://de.leica-camera.com/Fotografie/Leica-SL/SL-Objektive/Vario-Objektive/APO-VARIO-ELMARIT-SL-90-280)

Sony 5.6-6.3/200-600 G OSS for its focal range and fixed length (https://www.sony.de/electronics/kamera-objektive/sel200600g)

Nikon 5.6/200-500 for its aperture at the long end (https://www.nikon.de/de_DE/product/nikkor-lenses/auto-focus-lenses/fx/af-s-nikkor-200-500mm-f-5-6e-ed-vr)

As a compromise I would be very happy with the Sony 5.6-6.3/200-600 in L-Mount. If Sigma reads that, an L-Mount version of the 150-600 Sports comes very close, but as nature photographers use their equipment most of the time in the wild and sometimes in severe weather conditions, a re-design with a fixed length like the Sony would be highly welcome.

From my point-of-view, an L-Mount version of the 4/500 Sports would be very nice as well, but to heavy and bulky.

What are your opinions in the group?

Best regards

Bernd

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bernd-B said:

The longest lens so far is the Sigma 5-6.3/100-400 which can be combined with an extender. That combination does not provide the open aperture for dawn or dusk wildlife photography.

That is not really true - the lens has good OIS and the ISO capability of modern cameras is quite satisfactory. And you are not suggesting that you are shooting 600 mm+ lenses handheld - at dusk? A beanbag or trippod solves quite a few problems.

I will use the combination with a tripod. The high ISO capability of my SL2 is really good at ISO 6.400, but it is still better at ISO 800, especially as I like to print quite large. OSS helps indeed a lot for shooting handheld, but not for moving subjects. With my 90-280 at the long end, I always try to keep the shutter speed at 1/500 sec or faster, even tripod mounted.

Coming from a Canon DSLR system, I used a 4/400 in the past. It was a bit short, 500-600 would be better, ideally with a fastest aperture of 5.6.

An extender from Leica would be a nice step in the longer direction, but with a 2x extender, it will be an f8 560mm lens. A 1.4x extender would be a bit short, but a f5.6 392mm lens. My option would be the 1.4 extender.

That was taken with the SL2 and the 90-280 at the long and cropped to APS-C - an hour ago in my garden.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

The Sony 5.6-6.3/200-600 in L-Mount would be an ideal solution , I agree .

I doubt if we will see that though .

I`ve not been convinced by the Sigma from what I`ve read on this forum so for longer focal lengths I use my CL as an extender for the Pany 70 - 200 .

I`m more of a birder than a bird photographer so for occasional use this solution is fine for me.

2 hours ago, Bernd-B said:

An extender from Leica would be a nice step in the longer direction, but with a 2x extender, it will be an f8 560mm lens. A 1.4x extender would be a bit short, but a f5.6 392mm lens. My option would be the 1.4 extender.

+1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/15/2021 at 11:56 AM, Bernd-B said:

Unfortunately, we do not have a long telephoto lens available in L-Mount so far. I am not talking about the Sigma Sports lenses (4/500, 150-600,...) as combined with the L-Mount adapter, AF-C won't work. I am looking for a real L-Mount lens providing all features required for wildlife photography. The longest lens so far is the Sigma 5-6.3/100-400 which can be combined with an extender. That combination does not provide the open aperture for dawn or dusk wildlife photography.

What would be the perfect long telephoto lens?

My best wish would be the combination of:

Leica SL 2.8-4/90-280 for its outstanding quality and the fixed length (https://de.leica-camera.com/Fotografie/Leica-SL/SL-Objektive/Vario-Objektive/APO-VARIO-ELMARIT-SL-90-280)

Sony 5.6-6.3/200-600 G OSS for its focal range and fixed length (https://www.sony.de/electronics/kamera-objektive/sel200600g)

Nikon 5.6/200-500 for its aperture at the long end (https://www.nikon.de/de_DE/product/nikkor-lenses/auto-focus-lenses/fx/af-s-nikkor-200-500mm-f-5-6e-ed-vr)

As a compromise I would be very happy with the Sony 5.6-6.3/200-600 in L-Mount. If Sigma reads that, an L-Mount version of the 150-600 Sports comes very close, but as nature photographers use their equipment most of the time in the wild and sometimes in severe weather conditions, a re-design with a fixed length like the Sony would be highly welcome.

From my point-of-view, an L-Mount version of the 4/500 Sports would be very nice as well, but to heavy and bulky.

What are your opinions in the group?

Best regards

Bernd

Several of us have been wishing for a long tele lens in native L mount, or at least a 1.4X TC from Leica for the 90-280mm L.

In the absence of either of these 2 options, I purchased the Canon 400mm f4 USMII with the Canon 1.4X TC & Sigma MC-21 adapter on the SL2. The combination of the Canon with the SL2 produces stunning images. This lens is just exceptional!  The lack of AFC function doesn't bother me.

I also have the Sigma 100-400mm L & 1.4X Sigma TC. This lens is light, very versatile & produces good images up to a subject distance of 15m to 20m max.

Since I've acquired the Sigma, my Leica 90-280mm L has hardly seen any use. I almost feel guilty leaving that lens on the shelf, it's so good but just too short, especially for birding.  I'm off on a safari to Tanzania next week, I'm taking the Canon 400mm & Sigma 100-400mm with tele-converters, the Leica 90-280mm is staying at home.

P.S. I keep repeating this, but it's worth noting that with all of these long lenses best results are achieved with the electronic shutter,  there's an element shutter shock/slap when using the mechanical shutter.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

The Sigma 150-600mm DG DN is released in Sigma & Sony mount.

I assume Sigma mount = L-mount. However I have not seen any firmware update for SL2 & SL-S to ensure AF compatibility yet.

The lens is being released in both L & Sony mount. As it's a native L mount lens, it shouldn't require a firmware update for AF compatibility.

See Hugh Brownstone's review on Leica SL2 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

Thx michali for the info. Was the release of the Sigma 100-400mm zoom after the last SL2 firmware update?

How does AFC autofocus performance on moving subjects of the Sigma 100-400mm compare to the SL 90-280mm?

I mainly use AFS. However when I have used AFC, I haven't seen a noticeable difference in performance, at least not that much difference that would be significant in a real time scenario. I would expect that the Leica SL 90-280mm should perform slightly better on the SL2 & SL2-S than the Sigma would.

• Thanks 1

Today I've just had a continuous focus (AFC) test on moving subjects with the Sigma 150-600mm DG DN Mirrorless on my SL2. Yes, it works! Thanks to Sigma Service Center Singapore's helpful folks on providing me the lens to test.

On the same day after departing from Sigma Service Center Singapore, I've ended up purchacing the lens through a reputable local retailer (Cathay Photo) with their much accomodating sales staff that patiently waited for my test and coordinating with Sigma Service Center for the only piece of L-mount said lens that is available in Singapore.

I will provide a review over the next few weeks on it's performance over shooting fast moving subjects such as BIF and compare against the IQ & handling experience of my beloved SL90-280mm.

As my first encounter with the 150-600mm, it feels well built, focuses fast & accurately, handles and feels almost the same weight and feel over the 90-280mm. The design of both lenses differ in internal & external focal length extension. So the 150-600mm reminds me of my paper-weight SL24-90mm lens. It can come in handy as one can push-pull the lens to change focal length instead of turning the ring.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 5:59 PM, Bernd-B said:

I will use the combination with a tripod. The high ISO capability of my SL2 is really good at ISO 6.400, but it is still better at ISO 800, especially as I like to print quite large. OSS helps indeed a lot for shooting handheld, but not for moving subjects. With my 90-280 at the long end, I always try to keep the shutter speed at 1/500 sec or faster, even tripod mounted.

Coming from a Canon DSLR system, I used a 4/400 in the past. It was a bit short, 500-600 would be better, ideally with a fastest aperture of 5.6.

That was taken with the SL2 and the 90-280 at the long and cropped to APS-C - an hour ago in my garden.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I find that the main problem with moving subjects using very long lenses is keeping, or even getting them into, the viewfinder. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

I find that the main problem with moving subjects using very long lenses is keeping, or even getting them into, the viewfinder. 

Mount a dot sight device on camera hotshoe or reverse of lens tripod mount. This way you get full view of subject before it enters the dot sight viewer, fire your shutter release when subject is at cross hair of the device ( like a riffle dot sight application) and let the AF of the camera do the rest.

I've been using this device over the past 6 months and the focus success rate is high and consistent.

https://youtu.be/SA4ziFF37pY

Edited by sillbeers15
  • Thanks 1