A flight in a Mk.IX Spitfire

ruskkyle

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This week I had the true privilege of a flight experience courtesy of the Aerial Collective, Duxford. A surreal, extraordinary experience never to be forgotten!

All images are CL + 23/2 TL

Pre-flight checks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Cambridge ahead

• Like 10

Playing in the clouds

• Like 7

Final approach

• Like 10

A happy man

• Like 16

9 hours ago, Rona!d said:

Any Me 262 or Ho IX sightings during the flight?

All clear skipper. Think I must’ve scared them off with my attempt at straight and level 😬

9 hours ago, Rona!d said:

This must be G-CTIX/PT 462, made in 1943/44 as a single seater and turned into a 2-seater in the late 1980s?

Spot on!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ruskkyle said:

All clear skipper. Think I must’ve scared them off with my attempt at straight and level 😬

Spot on!

I had the joy on two trips to the Goodwood Festival of Speed to go up in the Lufthansa Classic Ju52. (a German friend was one of London's leading Lufthansa customer so he got comped tickets etc and Lufthansa Cargo flew in most of the overseas cars as part of their sponsorship). We flew over the Downs, then across Portsmouth Harbour, me lamenting the absence of anti-aircraft fire, and then as we were banking, the pilot announced that we were landing as "we have a flight of Spitfires on our tail". Which was indeed the case. A wonderful sensation watching the sheer effort of flying such a thing. The flight engineer spent the entire flight hand trimming the fuel tanks and it was quite an effort! Then as we taxied, in came three Spitfires. One of those wonderful moments.

Nothing from that, but one of the Spitfire being restored (I think now completed) at Duxford at their engineering days (normally New Year ish). Leica M3, Voigtlander 15mm, HP5 at 1600

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Charles Morgan said:

I had the joy on two trips to the Goodwood Festival of Speed to go up in the Lufthansa Classic Ju52. (a German friend was one of London's leading Lufthansa customer so he got comped tickets etc and Lufthansa Cargo flew in most of the overseas cars as part of their sponsorship). We flew over the Downs, then across Portsmouth Harbour, me lamenting the absence of anti-aircraft fire, and then as we were banking, the pilot announced that we were landing as "we have a flight of Spitfires on our tail". Which was indeed the case. A wonderful sensation watching the sheer effort of flying such a thing. The flight engineer spent the entire flight hand trimming the fuel tanks and it was quite an effort! Then as we taxied, in came three Spitfires. One of those wonderful moments.

Nothing from that, but one of the Spitfire being restored (I think now completed) at Duxford at their engineering days (normally New Year ish). Leica M3, Voigtlander 15mm, HP5 at 1600

Brilliant image, thanks for sharing. That flight sounds like an exhilarating experience!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/11/2021 at 8:45 AM, ruskkyle said:

As an update, I finally got round to looking at the video files from this trip! Here is a taste...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MIXoR9KtqctONLWlHYQzAxpUvlgFJQrT/view?usp=sharing

Great shots ruskkyle - I really like your first one!  You look like a Battle of Britain warrior!! Any more videos posted anywhere?  For more wide angle viewing, I strongly recommend the 11-23 TL zoom lens - I think it would be perfect for this application - Larry

• Thanks 1