Conflict with file names from different cameras

wolan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

recently I bought a Leica M 246 and the first time a came back from a shooting with this camera and an M10 I noticed that I could not copy the files of the M10 in the same folders because they had the same names as the ones coming from the M246.

What camera settings do you suggest to avoid this problem?

Thanks.

Changed file numbering of my Leicas:
L1xxxxxx : M8.2 - original numbering for my first digital Leica, now only for the image archive because camera was sold,
L2xxxxxx: M10-P - my second digital Leica,
L3xxxxxx: X-U - my third digital Leica,
L4xxxxxx- L9xxxxxx - don't think to need all numbers on future Leicas for the rest of my life.
A million shutter releases are likely to exceed the lifespan of each of these cameras. 

I work with Lightroom and import directly into lightroom into a folder that I create even out of Lightroom. On my Mac I do strictly nothing in the finder what has to do with photographs (in the finder I do even not show the photo-folder in the favorites). The photography folder I manage exclusively within Lightroom. Then I do a second thing: During the import process I alter the filenames to date/time e.g. "2021-05-17 at 10-43-15"

So that is my way. But I must say that I am extremely pedantic on such things. Here I am the pure ingeneer type. When I sit together with other photographers and I see the complete mess they have in their organisation this makes me always mad. But it never helped anything: My friends always continued with their mess 😀. They must like it.

• 1 year later...
On 5/15/2021 at 7:37 AM, jaapv said:

Change the file numbering in one camera, for instance, instead of the prefix L, use M .

Hi jaapv

how do you change the prefix?

Pete

Like other I Have set to have prefix specific to camera  such as 'LM10'. 

From Manual;

Changing picture file names

1. Select the menu item Image Numbering Image Numbering, and

2. in the sub-menu Change Filename Change Filename. • The keyboard sub-menu appears.

3. In the entry line, L100-0001.DNG L100-0001.DNG always appears intially!. The first

4 characters can be changed. After the last entry, the Image Numbering Image Numbering sub-menu appears again.

Posted (edited)

Using Photo Mechanic and/or Lightroom I rename the files on import. Each file goes into a day folder.

Image-library/yyyymmdd/yyyymmdd-subject-nnnn.xxx

nnnn = 0001 thru 9999. I’ve never shot 10,000 images in a day.

xxx = file extension - dng, jpg or xmp

Not a camera setting, but it works. You could also do this naming convention manually.

Edited by OThomas

4 hours ago, OThomas said:

Using Photo Mechanic and/or Lightroom I rename the files on import. Each file goes into a day folder.

Image-library/yyyymmdd/yyyymmdd-subject-nnnn.xxx

nnnn = 0001 thru 9999. I’ve never shot 10,000 images in a day.

xxx = file extension - dng, jpg or xmp

Not a camera setting, but it works. You could also do this naming convention manually.

I also recommend photo mechanic.  I use a 5-digit variable, and have a different prefix, and I will shoot 10,000+ images on occasion.  Every professional photographer I've ever worked with or met uses photo mechanic to ingest, caption, organize, and rename their shots.  Well worth the small cost of the program.