24 MP JPG from SL2 and SL2-s - any difference?

i-Leica

My 2 cents:

I wouldn't know about straight-out-of-camera (OOC) Jpegs. In the only instance I used it with SL2 I was really not liking what I saw, and decided basically never to use it UNLESS I was pressured by a client to deliver "something" 🤢 within the next hour or so.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I feel it's a bit of a waste to flung 6000 bucks at a camera (w/o lens) and not shooting RAW and finish the images properly.

However, if you shoot both cameras RAW and downsize the 48MP of the SL2 down to a 24MP jpeg, with a proper resizing in PS, then a 24MP Jpeg from SL2 might appear clearer and sharper than a native 24MP Jpeg from SL2-S because of the laws of oversampling. It is also a good trick to make higher ISO shots of the SL2 appear as clean as the SL2-S up to 6400-12500 ISO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Slender:

However, if you shoot both cameras RAW and downsize the 48MP of the SL2 down to a 24MP jpeg, with a proper resizing in PS, then a 24MP Jpeg from SL2 might appear clearer and sharper than a native 24MP Jpeg from SL2-S because of the laws of oversampling. It is also a good trick to make higher ISO shots of the SL2 appear as clean as the SL2-S up to 6400-12500 ISO.

Exactly what I was thinking - thank you

• Like 1

Then again it all depends how/why you shoot. If you do weddings/event/press work with high volumes of images and short turnaround time... and low light video, then by all mean the SL2-S and shooting natively with 24MP is the logical choice= less time to process, faster edits, easier on your computer, cheaper storage.... It's a hard pressed difference and most normal humans (like our dear other halfes and the general public) won't care or notice.

If you do a bit more fine art and like to polish and touch things up, then yeah against all my previous reticences and pre-conceptions, I grew quite found of the 47MP output like Mr @jonoslack put it so well in his reviews.... and managed to overcome the "FOMO" factor of crazy-high-iso the SL2-S induced when it came out.

Edited by Slender
  • Like 1

I do mostly pictures for my expertise work, so lot of pictures which will only be used when needed - for the very little amount of pictures I could still use the multi shot function - that’s why I use now jpg 24 or even 12 MP and safe the DNG as backup, but nearly never touch them.

1 hour ago, Slender said:

My 2 cents:

I wouldn't know about straight-out-of-camera (OOC) Jpegs. In the only instance I used it with SL2 I was really not liking what I saw, and decided basically never to use it UNLESS I was pressured by a client to deliver "something" 🤢 within the next hour or so.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I feel it's a bit of a waste to flung 6000 bucks at a camera (w/o lens) and not shooting RAW and finish the images properly.

38 minutes ago, Slender said:

Then again it all depends how/why you shoot. If you do weddings/event/press work with high volumes of images and short turnaround time... and low light video, then by all mean the SL2-S and shooting natively with 24MP is the logical choice= less time to process, faster edits, easier on your computer, cheaper storage.... It's a hard pressed difference and most normal humans (like our dear other halfes and the general public) won't care or notice.

If you do a bit more fine art and like to polish and touch things up, then yeah against all my previous reticences and pre-conceptions, I grew quite found of the 47MP output like Mr @jonoslack put it so well in his reviews.... and managed to overcome the "FOMO" factor of crazy-high-iso the SL2-S induced when it came out.

Hi There

it seems to me that if you shoot weddings / events where there are a large number of images (and I do quite often) there still really is no reason to shoot jpg, it's about managing input and output well, and loosing information by shooting jpg seems crazy to me. I talk to lots of people who still work the old way, using software to process  images and save the changes to other files and folders. First Aperture, and then Lightroom made this entirely unnecessary.

I don't believe it takes any longer to process a wedding in LR with Raw than it does with jpg. Likewise I don't really see the necessity of shooting with 24mp - taking up too much space just means you aren't culling enough!

All the best

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The reason to use small jpg-files for me is the easy use of the photographic material to complete my report on iPad right on location - pictures are just embedded in text and exported as pdf-file - so really no need for high resolution - the bigger files are used if I need a crop of a picture afterwards when I can not do any more detailed shot again. 

As one wise man said: it´s better to have then to need.... I could always make a smaller file, but never a larger one and as Slender said, the quality of downsized picture is better, so deal with the 47 MP?

• Like 1

It seems like a bit of an unusual use case. I don't think there is much point in comparing the 24mp Jpegs between the SL2 and SL2S for this use, as you said, 24mp is already overkill for this kind of work, so it is unlikely to be a visible difference anyway. Without having both cameras in hand to actually try it, I think it is hard to say which would be better out of camera. The 24mp could be better as it is not using any interpolation, it is just straight output. The lens quality is the same, so anything that is soft on 24mp will be soft on 47mp. While you CAN make a better jpeg from a 47mp file downsampled to 24mp, whether the camera can do it better is another story. My guess is that any differences would be nearly invisible and mostly academic. If you want a higher resolution file, the SL2 is the one to get. The SL2 offers higher resolution in RAW and can make a higher res jpeg from any raw converter, so in cases other than this last minute iPad editing, the SL2 would come out ahead. But if you never have any use case for more than 24mp, then it seems the SL2S is the more logical choice as it is cheaper and has a bit better ISO performance given its lower rez sensor. Unless you are printing over 60x90cm or making large crops, 24mp is more than enough for most uses. Personally, I have the SL2 and did not feel an urge to change or add an SL2S, as my work is more demanding on resolution than ISO speed or file size.

• Like 1

I think that the sl2s will still be slightly cleaner than a down sampled SL2 image, particularly at higher isos, when it comes to noise, but the SL2 will have less colour aliasing in higher frequency detail. Pick your poison. 

• Like 1

vor 25 Minuten schrieb jrp:

I think that the sl2s will still be slightly cleaner than a down sampled SL2 image, particularly at higher isos, when it comes to noise, but the SL2 will have less colour aliasing in higher frequency detail. Pick your poison. 

A very important point - sometimes I have to make a photographs of pictures on canvas and it could happen, that I get ugly moire from the 24 MP (I took once a picture of canvas with the Leica M it it was ugly) so I think more resolution will help? Is it really so that more resolution is better in such case?

Sometimes I have to make a picture of an entire Wall or ceiling and its important to me to still have all detail using 14 or 16mm lens - here I could use the multishot on SL2-s or 47 MP from the SL2 - hard to decide because I need all the options.

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb Slender:

@i-Leicafor the type of job you describe an Iphone Pro camera sounds even just about right to be honest. Anyway I hope you got some answers today regardless!

honestly?.... I really use it often and its OK (good enough for the paid job when I deliver just a pdf file), but more then once I need 1:1 macro and 14-16mm wide lens, so not always :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, i-Leica said:

A very important point - sometimes I have to make a photographs of pictures on canvas and it could happen, that I get ugly moire from the 24 MP (I took once a picture of canvas with the Leica M it it was ugly) so I think more resolution will help? Is it really so that more resolution is better in such case?

Sometimes I have to make a picture of an entire Wall or ceiling and its important to me to still have all detail using 14 or 16mm lens - here I could use the multishot on SL2-s or 47 MP from the SL2 - hard to decide because I need all the options.

Yes, that's one of the uses for multishot. The sensor samples each pixel with all three colour filters, so colour aliasing should be eliminated. A multishot image with the SL2-S should be better than a straight shot from the SL2 in this case. Of course, the SL2 also offers multishot, so it may be the best solution for you.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb BernardC:

Of course, the SL2 also offers multishot, so it may be the best solution for you.

multishot from the SL2 in "normal" life is almost the same as the shot with 47 MP so its mostly useless - multishot with the SL2-S is a big difference to the 24 MP and a big help I think.