Q shutter speed adjustment

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is probably a stupid question but here goes. How do you adjust the shutter speed on the Q? The manual says that you can use the shutter dial e.g to 1/125 then adjust in 1/3 EVs by turning the thumb dial ( farthest notched dial to right). On my camera this just goes to exposure compensation. Is there something in the menu which needs adjusting?

Just checked on my Q.  Normally dial controls exposure compensation (which does change shutter speed).  With an Aperture and a speed set the dial changes the speed.  The exposure display may also change -- it is showing you that the camera thinks about your selected exposure.  Don't know what menu items might effect that.  I've got my Scene mode set to P-A-S-M.

Many thanks  for taking the time to respond. I have ‘fiddled’ around and managed to remove exposure compensation from the thumb dial when a shutter speed is selected. Not sure how I did this but I can now manually control the shutter speed when I need to. 

I think I found the item in the menu that controls that.  Menu page 3, item Customized Control.  One of the controls is "Thumb Wheel".  Mine is set to Auto which does what I want.  Options are Off, Auto, and Exp. Comp.   I suspect your camera had that setting at "Exp. Comp."

42 minutes ago, marchyman said:

I think I found the item in the menu that controls that.  Menu page 3, item Customized Control.  One of the controls is "Thumb Wheel".  Mine is set to Auto which does what I want.  Options are Off, Auto, and Exp. Comp.   I suspect your camera had that setting at "Exp. Comp."

Thanks for that, I have now reset and it is controlling the shutter speed, then if set to  "A" reverts to exposure comp, many thanks 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, and I dislike this a lot, the shuter speed dial makes only 1 EV jumps instead of ½ or even better ⅓ EV jumps. On the other hand the aperture ring on the lens has ⅓ EV klicks. Where is the logic?

For me this was always and is still a pain. But as I could make out in the past here in the forum I seem to be the only one to complain about that. For my logic it is a nonsense to set the shuter speed in 1/1 EV clicks and then we need to adjust by means of that thumb wheel. My brain work fully differently. 

Edited by M10 for me