Q2 Mono is my new favorite camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Like most of you I've owned and shot a lot of cameras over the years.  I never liked autofocus much and always preferred a manual film camera over the tinkering of a digital.  I've never liked EVF.  I've enjoyed the Leica M-D since it came out and it's like a film M but with digital capture.  Very nice.  But I always wanted to go back to mono.  I occasionally enjoy shooting black and white film but seeing color has always been a distraction for me.  Now, the Q2 Mono is amazing.  This is the first EVF I actually enjoy.  And, I thought 46 MP is a marketing gimmick.  No way!  I really like the 28mm on the Q2.  The ability to crop without concern is wonderful.  The detail and clarity is amazing.  I'm sold!

• Like 12

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Steven said:

How is the Q2M better than the Q2 ? Serious question. 

There is an obvious answer, but I don't think that is you question.

"Better" is subjective and doesn't really describe either camera because it implies the other is "Worse".  I have both and both are excellent cameras.  I would say they are "Different" and we know where those differences are.

8 hours ago, T25UFO said:

There is an obvious answer

What is the obvious answer ? 

8 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Different

How are they different, besides cosmetics and the fact that one only shoots in BW? Still a serious question. 

The Q2M renders better at high ISO, there is much less noise.  If you don't shoot at high ISO the difference may be irrelevant.  There are other threads about the differences and at least one video has been posted that does a direct comparison.  A search should find them for you if you have more interest.

1 minute ago, marchyman said:

The Q2M renders better at high ISO, there is much less noise.  If you don't shoot at high ISO the difference may be irrelevant.  There are other threads about the differences and at least one video has been posted that does a direct comparison.  A search should find them for you if you have more interest.

Thank you. 
i wouldn’t buy the q2m because I only shoot color. But I was curious to know if those who made the sacrifice of colour were rewarded with anything else than low light. 
When I had the Q2, it used to be horrible (at first sight) in low light. But I soon as I converted the horrible low light photos to BW, it looked like a low light beast. 

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Thank you. 
i wouldn’t buy the q2m because I only shoot color. But I was curious to know if those who made the sacrifice of colour were rewarded with anything else than low light. 
When I had the Q2, it used to be horrible (at first sight) in low light. But I soon as I converted the horrible low light photos to BW, it looked like a low light beast. 

Even in good light, the resolution of the Q2M shots is really shockingly good. And with auto focus at 1.7, I’d be very surprised if anybody could get a similar hit rate of sharp photographs on an M body

4 hours ago, Steven said:

...I was curious to know if those who made the sacrifice of colour were rewarded with anything else than low light..

Yes, you get insane pixel-level IQ even at f/1.7 and even at distance.

These inline images will look soft – Click to view sharper version, click a second time to open full JPEG into another window. Sometimes the second click will close the window, but just do it all over again and it will open into another window the second time. Once it's opened into its own window, you can click to magnify fully.)

Q2M w/light red filter, f/1.7

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Crop:

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Steven said:

What is the obvious answer ? 

I think you have answered your own question 🙂

15 hours ago, Steven said:

that one only shoots in BW?

There are a number of threads that expound the virtues of one over the other.  Some get quite heated, which is a shame because everyone is entitled to their own opinion however wrong they may be 🤣 I just don't think you can call one definitively better because it depends on the use.  For you the Q2 is better . . .

14 hours ago, Steven said:

because I only shoot color

I shoot both, but I do like black and white as a medium so, for me, the Q2M is worth the additional expense.  Does it produce images that are £4,995 better than a B&W conversion from a Q2 colour image?  That's subjective, but probably the answer is NO.  However, if you extend that argument then I should buy a cheap Fuji instead of the Q2.  Not all the decisions we take are based on spreadsheet maths.

Like you, I buy and sell stuff; or to be more accurate, I sell and buy!  Will I keep the Q2M?  Maybe, maybe not.  If I bought the M 35mm APO to use on my M10 Mono then maybe the Q2M would go.  Or maybe the Q2 would go because (I think) the APO will be pretty good on my SL2 as well.  All a bit theoretical because the APO has eluded me, but it will become obtainable eventually.

Thanks for your many contributions, which I do enjoy reading . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 5:07 AM, Steven said:

How is the Q2M better than the Q2 ? Serious question. 

I am an old film guy and still use my M3 occasionally.  I shot color slides or B&W and had to have a different mindset depending on which was loaded. I enjoyed both. 

I love my M-D which is obviously color.  I’ve converted sometime to B&W, just like others.  I always found that process to be open to fiddling. Lots of opportunity to fiddle.

for me, the Q2M eliminates all the fiddling.  It’s just outstanding B&W and harkens back to shooting B&W film.  I very much enjoy it.

• Like 2