Summarit- talk to me

roubaix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What can I expect from the new Summarit line of lenses?

http://www.leica-camera.us/photography/m_system/summarit/?mid=223

Tempted by the new 50. Price/performace?

Vs. CV's?

Or just save up for the lux? Different characteristics?

Thanks experts,

Peter

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Summarits are a *lot* cheaper than the Luxes, and I am sure they will be good lenses. However, the very narrow depth of field and special look of some of the Luxes can also be very pleasing. If you have enough money for either, you should probably wait until the Summarits come out, and then try them both, and read the reviews, before deciding. You could have a Lux today though.

No one knows what the Summarits' characteristics will be, but from the Leica information, it sounds like they will have a nice, older (not older, just pre-Asph) look, something which many people will prefer.

can someone please post a side by side image with a pre-asph and an asph lens.

i would love to see the difference.

Thanks.

The Summarits are a *lot* cheaper than the Luxes, and I am sure they will be good lenses. However, the very narrow depth of field and special look of some of the Luxes can also be very pleasing. If you have enough money for either, you should probably wait until the Summarits come out, and then try them both, and read the reviews, before deciding. You could have a Lux today though.

No one knows what the Summarits' characteristics will be, but from the Leica information, it sounds like they will have a nice, older (not older, just pre-Asph) look, something which many people will prefer.

Fahim, this is really hard (impossible) to do in one shot. The best example would be a 75 Lux compared to a 75 Cron, but I only have the Lux, so I can't do it. Holger, also here in Berlin, has just received his 75 Cron, but needs to send it back to Solms to have the focusing adjusted. Once it returns here, I will have the opportunity to borrow it from him at some point, and then I will start a thread comparing the two.

For now, one good starting place to look for differences is probably my 35 comparison thread. It is rather long, but has a lot of comparison shots. Compare especially the Cron IV and the Cron ASPH. The Lux ASPH is a much older design than the Cron ASPH, and is somewhere between the old and modern looks.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/29964-35-lux-asph-vs-35-cron.html

Finally, here is a portrait taken with the Noctilux, which I love. The special softness in this portrait is due to uncorrected aberrations of various kinds, especially spherical aberration, wide open, if I understand correctly. This is something which the newer ASPH lenses eliminate, and you won't find this kind of softness in the modern lenses, even wide open. The 35 and 50 Lux ASPH lenses do have a very nice look wide open, but not like the old lenses.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Carsten, after thanking you, I shall open the link you graciously have provided. The noct

portrait is stunning.

Fahim, this is really hard (impossible) to do in one shot. The best example would be a 75 Lux compared to a 75 Cron, but I only have the Lux, so I can't do it. Holger, also here in Berlin, has just received his 75 Cron, but needs to send it back to Solms to have the focusing adjusted. Once it returns here, I will have the opportunity to borrow it from him at some point, and then I will start a thread comparing the two.

For now, one good starting place to look for differences is probably my 35 comparison thread. It is rather long, but has a lot of comparison shots. Compare especially the Cron IV and the Cron ASPH. The Lux ASPH is a much older design than the Cron ASPH, and is somewhere between the old and modern looks.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/29964-35-lux-asph-vs-35-cron.html

Finally, here is a portrait taken with the Noctilux, which I love. The special softness in this portrait is due to uncorrected aberrations of various kinds, especially spherical aberration, wide open, if I understand correctly. This is something which the newer ASPH lenses eliminate, and you won't find this kind of softness in the modern lenses, even wide open. The 35 and 50 Lux ASPH lenses do have a very nice look wide open, but not like the old lenses.

Carsten,

Thank you for your reply. I'll check them out when they arrive, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll eventually end up with both a Summarit and a Lux. I'm very interested in comparing their individual characteristics...

Peter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Peter,

You may not be aware, but there are some performance proofs DNG & Jpeg available for download from the Leica site Leica Camera AG - Downloads

While not ideal since you can't visualise the original scene they may prove just to whet your appetite. :D

Edit: woops! I see the link was already in your post sorry. However I will be doing some testing between a 75 Asph, 90 Pre Asph and 85 Summarex over the next few days which may show some differences between Asph & non Asph

FWIW these Summarits are brand new optical designs, not reformulations. While they are spherical, they do benefit from that latest tech (computer modeling, newest multicoatings, more precise CNC grinding, etc.). All four lenses were designed by Peter Karbe himself.

So, they may or may not have that "classic pre-ASPH look."

My guess is that they will be a great value for new users of the M system and great lenses to either fill in the focal length gaps or to make a really portable travel kit. The ASPH crons and luxes will still rule the roost. I have no doubt the new lenses will be good. I just don't think that they will be *as good* as the best of the best.

David

Guest guy_mancuso

I agree David , sounds like too me they will be very nice general purpose lenses at a reasonable cost to get folks on board with Leica glass. There not going to be a Lux or a cron with there certain look to them but they will be very good and this also serves folks that will need a filler lens in between what they have already in there bag. Great idea:D

So, they may or may not have that "classic pre-ASPH look."

What made me think in that direction were two things. The first was the quote from the press release "Mit ihrer Lichtstärke von 1:2,5 und der Konzentration auf das klassische, bewährte, sphärische Objektivdesign", which stresses the classic design process to a surprising extent, I found. The second were some IQ comments made by Puts, in which he mentioned that the Crons would still be sharper, and possibly preferred by pros.

You are right though, this may all just be erroneous conclusion-making. We'll see.

I agree David , sounds like too me they will be very nice general purpose lenses at a reasonable cost to get folks on board with Leica glass. There not going to be a Lux or a cron with there certain look to them but they will be very good and this also serves folks that will need a filler lens in between what they have already in there bag. Great idea:D

For over $1,300. + they would have to be a lot better then 'entry level' lenses. They would need to offer something special to justify the price besides the Leica logo. Leica should be capable of making updated 'classic' designs with less expensive types of glass and manufacturing methods. If that's what the Summarits offer then they might be good value and some might prefer them to the ASPH glass.

In addition one pays a large premium to get a 1.4 lens that performs equal to a 2.8 wide open. That will double the price of a lens easily. So there is no reason for the 2.5's to be second class performers.

Guest guy_mancuso

Hank in entry level I meant as far as price and not quality per say. i am sure they will be excellent lenses just slower and smaller and within many folks budgets. I think the Crons and luxes will still be the top dogs in the line though.

Guest guy_mancuso

yup from Tamarkin

35mm Summarit-M f2,5 $1495

50mm Summarit-M f2,5 $1195

75mm Summarit-M f2,5 $1495

90mm Summarit-M f2,5 $1495

First deliveries late November,

Call now to reserve yours!

Sorry to disagree a bit here but I don't see much market for those lenses specially the 35 and 50. ( the 75 or even the 90 are another story )

But, if I had to choose between :

a new Zeiss Planar 50/2 at 800€

a used Cron 50 at 800€

a new C/V Nokton 50/1.5 at 350€

a used pre-asp Lux 50 at 1200€

a new Summarit 50/.2.5 at 1000€

the Summarit would be my last choice. That's me of course

What can I expect from the new Summarit line of lenses?

Peter

We're going to have to test them before we can make any accurate observations about how they draw. Leica tells me that no review copies have yet gone out to anyone. I'll be testing them as soon as they arrive. Otherwise, there's just conjecture.

Cheers,

Sean