Sell M9 Monochrom for M10 Monochrom?

Jan1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/8/2021 at 5:50 AM, Gobert said:

Still curious what deep clean means. After all it is glass which is cleaned.

Just my guess, but I would imagine a deep clean means a wet clean as opposed to just using a blower and brush to remove light dust specs.

On the original question, i loved my M9M most of the time but after buying the M10M I very quickly came to feel it was the best camera I've used in nearly 40 years of M shooting. After a few months the M9M went up for sale. The improved dynamic range, thinner body, quieter shutter, better high ISO performance and more pixels (cropability) were some of the reasons for my preference over the M9M. The M10M is definitely my never sell camera. 

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 6

Sold my M9 based bodies both in the last year. I had intended to keep them both, but after getting the M10-P I preferred the platform. So I bought an M10-Mono and am not looking back.  I'm pleased with the images. Did well on both sales. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 4:34 AM, Jan1985 said:

I own my M9 Monochrom in Silver Chroma for 5 years now. Recently I had the chance to test out the M10 Monochrom. Yeah its a nice camera of course. More High ISO, Quieter Shutter, Nice Build Quality and so on...

But would you sell your M9 Monochrom? Is the CCD Mono Look so unique to keep it and resist to buy the M10 Monochrom? 

What do you think?

Yes, I sold my M9M and M246 for the M10M. I didn't hesitate.

The M9M is showing its age, and functionally not the best camera in operation. The M246 was better, but I wanted the extra range and resolution of the M10M. 

I have ZERO regrets. And plus after selling both cameras, the M10M was essentially tax only.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 5:24 AM, rtai said:

The M10M files are beautiful and I display them side by side with scanned film and can barely tell them apart. While the M9M is unique and I have used one briefly before sending it off for sensor replacement I can say you are not making any compromises with the M10M.  Also the seemingly unlimited iso performance and higher sensor resolution are important. When I use it for street I set the camera at 1/500 or 1/1000 and the 28mm at f5.6 or f8 so the high iso performance is important to my needs. There’s also live view if you ever need it. I do keep an M8.2 around for color and am reminded of the limitations as nice as the CCD rendering.

Yes! I keep an M8 around too for that exact reason.

I replaced all the other M cameras with the M10M and M10-R (sold my M10, M246, M9M and gave my M240 to my oldest daughter).

I have zero regrets.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I own the original MM1 with a slight corrosion issue (not bad) and an M246....I can't bring myself to sell the MM1 there's just something about it...., I love my M246 and at this point there's no reason for me to own an M10M....:)

On 7/26/2021 at 12:03 AM, bilbrown said:

I replaced all the other M cameras with the M10M and M10-R (sold my M10, M246, M9M and gave my M240 to my oldest daughter).

Might want to update your LUF profile. Interesting job and hobby, though.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

C'mon people.  M9M makes a lovely buzz when reloading, like film.  You can't compare it to anything else.  The funny li'l cute official Leica batteries for it are now also made in Russia or somewhere near its border with Manchuria.  The retro look and feel is something you can't just reproduce.  And the silver version is the rarest of them all.  Just look at the silver 28mm lux thread next door.  Anyhow there won't be any more new M9Ms.

PS I still can't forgive @pippy for replacing a red leather with the black one.  This is the worst decision on this forum in its complete history, IMHO.  Worse than the US rout in Afghanistan even.

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Look @pippy what I found!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 2

On 7/11/2021 at 12:37 PM, fotografr said:

Just my guess, but I would imagine a deep clean means a wet clean as opposed to just using a blower and brush to remove light dust specs.

On the original question, i loved my M9M most of the time but after buying the M10M I very quickly came to feel it was the best camera I've used in nearly 40 years of M shooting. After a few months the M9M went up for sale. The improved dynamic range, thinner body, quieter shutter, better high ISO performance and more pixels (cropability) were some of the reasons for my preference over the M9M. The M10M is definitely my never sell camera. 

I feel exactly the same way. By far my favorite camera.  

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 5:43 AM, Stuart Richardson said:

what in particular are people with the M9M seeing in their files that keeps them with it

Since you enjoyed the M9 color rendering Stuart, I assume that would be the M9M B&W rendering.  I have all 3 different monochroms and can see how M9M is crisp and different from the rest...  I haven't done comparisons but I feel the difference quite clearly just as the M9-P color pops up vividly (for the second day already, all thanks to your description of it in the 15 anniversary of Leica digital thread.:)

On 8/25/2021 at 4:24 AM, setuporg said:

Look @pippy what I found!...

Oh, WOW! That's a beauty! Late to the post for some reason...:blink:...Many Congrats on a superb catch!!!

Like the red leather, too! I wouldn't be surprised if you find yourself spending as much time talking to strangers as you will taking snaps!......:lol:......

I've still got the Boysenberry Leather which came on mine somewhere in the studio. Perhaps it's time I dragged it out once more to see the sun?

Philip.